//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1984 Honda ATC 110 no start

--

1984 Honda ATC 110 no start

How's it going guys I just recently picked up a 84 110 project and I am in the process of getting it going. The trike has spark and is getting fuel to the plug. I put a new plug in, swapped the stator out for one off a running machine, cdi box off a running machine, pulse generator off a running machine and a coil off a running machine. All the parts were swapped to the other machine and it fires no problem, the new machine does not have a kill switch but I do not believe that should be a problem. I checked timing and as far as I can tell it is correct as well as the valves. Cam is put in with the lobes facing the rest of the motor, but I'm not sure if the exhaust valve is supposed to open first once off top dead center as that is what my machine is doing. Also machine does not currently have an exhaust but for a test fire I also do not believe that should be a problem. I did not check compression but seems to have about the same amount as my other 110.

If anyone has some ideas what it could be it would be appreciated as I am lost in what it could be.

Thank you

--
    did you check to make sure the rotor is installed properly? I got a free 110 years ago, someone installed the rotor 180 off and couldn't get it to work. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    I do believe it is in right it is pointing right at the generator as soon as it hits top dead center

--
    Rotor is in right

--
    "cam was put in with the lobes facing the motor"

So what. A cam on a one cylinder can't be 180 out.

"Everything is right it still won't run" is basically your post.

Something isn't right.

--
    As far as I can tell everything is right, valves set to factory specs, as well as the air gap on the pulse generator rotor. Bike is getting good consistent spark and is getting fuel to the plug. This is why I'm lost it should be starting but it doesn't. Like stated above I did not check compression but seems to have about the same as my other 110. Only reason I did write the cam is in that way was I watched a video and that is how the person explained to put it in

--
    Only thing I can think of at this point is a bad/burnt valve

--
    if you dont have a compression tester, id loosen the valves a little, maybe there's some carbon on the valve face? pull the plug, pull the carb, squirter a little trans fluid down the intake and cycle spin it a few times
    install the plug spin it a few times to clear the atf out of the cylinder.
    grab a drill motor with a socket adapter, pull the recoil off and spin the motor with the drill and squirte some starting fluid in the carb as the motor spins. Also check to make sure the rotor springs back, you could have a bad spring or springs on the rotor
    jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Ok I will give that a try today and see what happens.

--
    Swapped the rotor from my running 110 and did what was suggested. Compression seems to have gone up to the point it seems to have more then the running one, but still no start. Unless it needs new valves or a rebuild I am lost on why it is not starting.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesoe39 View Post
    Swapped the rotor from my running 110 and did what was suggested. Compression seems to have gone up to the point it seems to have more then the running one, but still no start. Unless it needs new valves or a rebuild I am lost on why it is not starting.
    How did you check for spark?

You tried spraying with starting fluid?

If the compression went up after adjusting the valves, it was not right and still might not be right. Are you positive you understand the procedure?

--
    Checked spark by pulling the plug and having my brother hold it against a bolt on the machine and pulling the pull start. I am sure the valves are adjusted correctly as I had to do it to my other 110 when I got it. I did try starting fluid and it still won't fire I also tried starting fluid into the plugh hole and it still won't run.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesoe39 View Post
    Checked spark by pulling the plug and having my brother hold it against a bolt on the machine and pulling the pull start. I am sure the valves are adjusted correctly as I had to do it to my other 110 when I got it. I did try starting fluid and it still won't fire I also tried starting fluid into the plugh hole and it still won't run.
    What not into the intake while attempting to start?

I'm asking simple questions because you've indicated whether you know or not that 4 stroke engines aren't your specialty. Being concerned that "the exhaust valve is the first one to open" is silly if you know the basic fundamentals of a 4 stroke. I still think there's something simple that's wrong.

--
    It's called a 4 stroke because there are 4 strokes. There are 2 top dead centers in those 4 strokes. One of them is Top Dead Center Compression and one of them is Top Dead Center Exhaust. I'm not saying it 100% has anything to do with it but I'm saying that the lack of knowledge of the basic function of the engine is likely playing a part here

--
    I am aware of how 4 strokes work, I have had plenty over the years, many needing valve adjustments. This is why it is not making any sense to me.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //