//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Wiring on 82’ ATC 200

--

Wiring on 82’ ATC 200

Hey all, new to the forum. I’m currently fixing up my 1982 ATC 200. I was wondering about wiring up an ignition key. I tracked down the wiring diagram for this model and from what I can see the ignition switch just shorts out black to ground to stop the engine. If wiring up a new Honda ignition would you just tap into those two wires for the off circuit since there’s no battery?

Also is it possible to hook up an accessory socket in some way that could be used while the engine is running? I’m not really interested in adding a battery to this machine but thought it could be cool to use whatever power is generated by the existing system.

Appreciate any help.

--
    You are correct on the key assumption. Regarding an "accessory socket" - let it be known this electrical system outputs AC - not DC as you might think.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    As Tim already mentioned, they key switch for ignition kill is a valid idea. You would need to have a regulator and a rectifier to have usable 12v DC power. The rectifier converts ac to dc, and regulator would keep the power at a steady voltage. Honda had a optional power kit that could be bought and added to them, if gave the machines a battery and all the needed accessories to run the lights and a 12v plug. . It isn’t terribly hard to do on your own, I’ve done it but don’t remember enough of it. Hopefully PS2fixer pops in, he the electrical guru.
    Currently : trx400fw, ct70, 250es,200x, xl80s, 350x, 350x, 225DX, trx300

--
    Appreciate the replies. For the ignition switch there’s no need to wire the on side of the circuit right?

I was reading a thread on here where a guy used a capacitor instead of a battery. I guess I was just curious if you could tap the AC current without having to go through the trouble of installing a battery and everything. I saw the DC power kit on the wiring diagram, would be cool if they were still around.

--
    You don’t need a battery, but you do need a voltage regulator and rectifier. But as long as you have 12 volts being out put you should be ok.

However, with that said you will run into a problem without a battery. These stators have a low output. So it would be harder to run accessories without upgrading the stator. And you might have issues with low voltage at low rpm’s, the stock system has that problem. Hence why the headlight is dim at idle and gets brighter with more RPM. While I’m thinking about it, the stator out put has one other issue. If you are using the same power source for the lights, running an accessory might not be able to function properly as the voltage drop might be too much. I’ve seen it happen with the 200 big reds when guys run extra lights, hand warmers, ad other accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently : trx400fw, ct70, 250es,200x, xl80s, 350x, 350x, 225DX, trx300

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //