//ArrowChat Code

Thread: LED replacement bulbs

--

LED replacement bulbs

Hey guys I am completely restoring my 185S and want to switch over to LED bulbs does anyone know a replacement part number that I can use. Thanks in Advance Skip

--
    It's not as simple as just swapping the bulbs out. Your bike's lighting coil produces AC voltage and has no voltage regulator. In stock form the load from the headlight is enough to keep the voltage in check, with no load or the very minimal load that an LED puts on the system it's capable of producing way more than the 12-14v that the bulbs are designed for and will kill your new LEDs.

You at minimum need a voltage regulator, I've got these on a couple of my bikes keeping LEDs alive. They'll flicker at idle but it keeps them from burning up.
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ge-regulator-p

Here's a thread detailing the more in depth route of adding a regulator/rectifier to provide the DC power that a motorcycle/automotive LED is going to be happier with.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ersion-for-LED
    Hoarder of the finest junk

'82 YT175
    '83 YTM200
    '85 KLT110
    '86 Moto 4 225
    '84 TRX200 trike conversion.
    '87 Tecate 4
    Lots of vintage and not so vintage two wheeled stuff.

--
    Sounds like stock is the way to go the stock bulbs served me well since 83 I think I will stick with em

--
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipB View Post
    Sounds like stock is the way to go the stock bulbs served me well since 83 I think I will stick with em

That's a good choice.

The stock headlight isn't that bad, if the reflector/lens is in good condition. By this point most of the reflectors are dull or even losing the reflective material. There are new stock type units available, even with a glass lens like OE. A new bulb and new headlight is still very effective.

From my experience, the stock bulbs are pretty tough too. There's a lot of hoopla about how long LEDs last, but cheap ones tend to be shorter lived than quality halogen bulbs. I don't know if there's one available for the ATCs, but I've used PIAA bulbs in motorcycles that I didn't want to bother with a LED conversion and they are a definite upgrade and hold up very well. They're pricey though, like ~$40 and up for a bulb.

If you want more light while riding but don't want to modify your trike, LED helmet lights are the way to go. Off road racers have been using them for years and they put the light right where you look.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I have an LED in my 250sx. It was a simple bulb swap (although the LED bulb had a fatter base and took some modification to fit). The light works fine in the rare instances I use it. Very white There isn't much difference between hi and low beam.

--
    The SX has a battery and a voltage regulator, the 185s in question dose not have either.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    I'm putting together parts for halogen/xenon upgrade in the stock headlight bucket and will start a thread when I get it together.

All I've been able to find will not require modification to any of the stock parts but will take some modification of the new ones and a tiny bit of wiring. It's not going to be some pie in the sky cheap upgrade though that is magically awesome, it'll still cost near $100 and I have no idea on the long term quality of the new headlight assembly.

I'm doing it for those who don't want to add the wiring, battery, and regulator/rectifier needed for a proper DC system. This halogen upgrade will only have one added component and hopefully blows the stock headlight out of the water while keeping the simple AC system.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

4x4van is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    My SIL has installed LED headlights on his 86 TRX250R with no problems, both a 8" wide lightbar, and 2 4-LED amber pods (not all at the same time, obviously). Never used a voltage regulator, never had a problem. They run bright and smooth, although they are obviously brighter at high RPM.
    Those who can ride, ride...those who can't, drive.

--
    A Trx250r has a factory regulator .
    The unregulated lighting systems like a 185s / 200s do not .

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
    My SIL has installed LED headlights on his 86 TRX250R with no problems, both a 8" wide lightbar, and 2 4-LED amber pods (not all at the same time, obviously). Never used a voltage regulator, never had a problem. They run bright and smooth, although they are obviously brighter at high RPM.
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //