//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 185s suspension fork options

--

185s suspension fork options

Anyone know of a wide-tire telescoping suspension fork that would fit a 185s without modification, maybe a 250sx or gen one 250R. I have an 83 with rebuilt forks but I'm looking for something with better-quality damping.

--
    Unfortunately for a OE replacement your option is the atc200s. And it will be identical.
    The head tube on the 185/200 family (except atc200x) is a different size than the 250es/sx, 250r, 350x.
    You can modify the frame by using the head tube from another machine, but it takes a lot of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently : trx400fw, ct70, 250es,200x, xl80s, 350x, 350x, 225DX, trx300

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    IIRC someone on here was making an adapter to fit a different triple tree to the 185S/200S so you could use a 250R or 350X triple. I'll have to dig thru my files to see if I have the posts saved. Pretty sure I do, I'll do some digging over the next couple of days and see if I can find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    IIRC someone on here was making an adapter to fit a different triple tree to the 185S/200S so you could use a 250R or 350X triple. I'll have to dig thru my files to see if I have the posts saved. Pretty sure I do, I'll do some digging over the next couple of days and see if I can find it.
    Good morning, That would have been Old deuce , but unfortunately he is no longer with us. He passed a year or so ago.
    * 1970 US90 Red
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Helm&Son, Bandito /3D springer. ( Spaghetti Winder )
    * 1978 ATC 90/128 Bandito / Ace Williams Springer.
    * 1980 ATC 110/ ? Helm&Son, Dickson Full Suspended
    * 1981 ATC 110 MTC Full Supended
    * 1985 ATC 200s
    *1986 ATC 250R/310 2"+ Westcoast Swinger

http://www.ebay.com/usr/jwheeler760

--
    RIP Randy....."ol' Deuce 32"

Check out my posting #4 on this thread.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=stem+adapter

He is a member "muthey" "PM" message him.

"HJ" Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldfogey.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.2 KB 
ID:	270635
    ’84 YT60
    ’85 350x (423cc) with ’81 XL500 head conversion
    ’83 XR500 (628cc) converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’73 CB750 K3 converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’86 TRX250R chassis XR650L engine hybrid
    ’89 TRX250R (stock )
    ’90 LT500 Quadzilla
    ’85 FL350 Odysses ( water cooled head )
    Lost (sold) but not forgotten ’80 ATC 110 (205cc on alcohol ) ’83 200x ( 222cc ) ’83 200x ( 185s eng ) ’85 350x ( stock )
    added to the collection recently, (2) '70 US90 Aquarius Blue and '74 ATC90 Daytona Orange

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwheeler View Post
    Good morning, That would have been Old deuce , but unfortunately he is no longer with us. He passed a year or so ago.
    Right, but the thread should still be available.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Unless you have a line on a complete setup you'll have to get all the parts piecemeal which is going to be expensive and time consuming.

That fork has about 3 1/4" of travel, the rear has...0". How much are you willing to spend to still end up with 0" of rear suspension travel?

If dropping a few hundo or more on something that isn't really practical but is in line with your project/hobby goals, then it really doesn't matter and I say go for it. I had a 250R fork that were going onto my 185S but went on the YTM200 instead.

I did take the time to wait for deals on the parts and that could mean a year or longer.

Before doing any of that, you could just disassemble the originals, clean, and put news seals/wiper in. Then add proper fork oil in whatever weight you want to start with and see how that feels. Check the free length of the fork springs and if they're worn out, replace them. There's also the option of adding a little bit of preload to the springs with a spacer. That's a bit of work for such short travel forks but it may be all you need for a noticeable improvement.

There was also the Terry Cable(?) kits from back in the day that came with parts to get a bit more travel out of the stock forks, which was essentially removing the top-out spring and installing longer springs. It may have used different damper rods. That may be something you can research and possibly come up with new parts that'll work.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //