//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New guy from Central Texas working on a 200M

--

New guy from Central Texas working on a 200M

Hey all,

New guy finally registering and getting some wrenches thrown at my old 200M. I bought it probably 20 years ago with it running but smoking like hell. Rode it around maybe half an hour and decided all the mosquitos between Dallas and Houston had been taken care of, so I pulled the motor and set the hulk out in the back where it's been setting under an oak tree. Can't get a pic uploaded, probably gotta get some posts under my belt first.

Anyway here I am with the motor stripped completely down, all the parts in boxes. I got a decent used crank assembly off the net and started re-assemlbing everything I could remember. Now I've run into the shift shaft and it's not cycling and I'm wondering if I have it together right. There's a spring on the back of the arm that goes over the shift star which I'm thinking has to go over each side of the tang in the case that stick up right center between the shaft and the star centerline. To get that spring to each side of that tang I have been spreading it over the pin that stick out on the back of that shift arm and then as it gets engaged around the shift star that spring engages the tang and provides up and down center return spring pressure. Is that right??? I don't want to proceed with adding the right engine case without getting the shifter right!

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,
    John Blankenship
    Georgetown, TX

--
    Well here's where I started....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATC 200M - Copy.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	520.2 KB 
ID:	270778

And where I'm at now, much better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200M July 23rd - Copy.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	541.7 KB 
ID:	270779

Got it all together except a muffler and was test running it for a couple minutes and got a bad backfire when killing it. SURPRISE, sheared the crankshaft key on the alternator rotor! Wallowed out the side of the keyway in the shaft a bit, but I peened most of it back down. Now it's only about .010" or so wide each side. ARRRGGGHHHH!

I'm thinking that Loctite 660 sounds like deal. Anyone tried that for a minor issue on the keyway?
    Last edited by j_blankenship; 07-23-2023 at 04:10 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //