//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Doing Big Red things most do not do with Big Reds

--
    2 months and your already here.

I can't get 3 bolts plated in that time frame.....I need to step on it.

Looking good young man

--
    I work 11hrs a day and play on the treadmill 30 mins each day...I do have secrete weapon. I have people. Years ago I learned to not let my pride get in my way. I DO NOT have to do everything. My garage is not set up to do everything. My newest acquisition is a retired tool and tie maker that welds nice. He likes to still turn a lathe and play with a Bridgeport mill...so while I am at work 11hrs a day making a living trying to manage adult men children...I can give him a quick drawing and say do this. He makes a few bucks and can put more smoke in his MR. Peanut pipe. He delivers and picks up. I've learned money and time are not related. I can make money quicker than I can make time.

Build a network, Build cool things quick.

--
    This weeks parts done:
    LTZ400 reinforced aluminum 9" rims
    Repo stainless decompression bolt
    Swapped valve cover bolts to flats locks and hex heads all stainless
    Swapped pulser rusted bolted to stainless
    Laser cut weld on swingarm tabs done (looks long but they will get milled back 1" shorter later)
    Test fitted new seat rubber bosses I had machined since mine were rusted and gone
    Cut rest of frame off to weld on new sub frame supports
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8.jpeg   7.jpeg   6.jpeg   5.jpeg   4.jpeg   3.jpeg  

1.jpeg   2.jpeg  

--
    Went to check the valves on the BR. Exhaust valve was stuck closed. I looked at the new tires and the date was 17 years ago. The oil was semi clear after I drained it. I have hope sadly it will turn over again. I filled the head up with oil, stuck my propane torch under the exhaust valve oil spot, put the spark plug and both caps back on the valve cover. 15 mins later I hear the oil bubbling / poping sound. I turned over the motor a few times and valve unstuck its self. 1st time I ever had to deal wit that.

Next I wanted to set the time marked up and set the valves to .002. Well the pulse generator time marked was 180 out. I rechecked the time marks.....yep 180 out. Pulled it off, springs about ready to break from rust. I pulled my stash of OEM parts and rebuild the pulser with everything new, but the fingers. Those mic'd good yet. I knew someone was into this top end due to the wrong valve cover screws. I think they prob got a cheap trike, put tires on it, had motor maybe rebuilt and put cam in wrong and outside it sat until I got it off a friend who I made go buy it. At this Point i do not trust anything was don't correctly and will fix properly after the frames all fixed up. Using motor as a fixture right now.

Cleaned up airbox and reglued the rubber tubes back on. All new stainless steel hardware too. Pulled an ATC125m aluminum oil dip stick I had and marked the correct filled oil mark on the dip stick, gave it a quick semi polish and added it to motor for now.

Ordered new BLACK KTX fenders. so my big red is now my BIG BLACK. I am not a red fan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13.jpg   12.jpg  
    Last edited by oldskool83; 01-29-2024 at 07:51 AM.

Footy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Looks good! What type of glue did you use for reattaching the air intake tubes?
    Also supper impressed with those reinforcement rings on the rear wheels.
    Its a good thing we don't live closer as I might be spending money for some of your fab work!
    Put your butt on the inside fender or end up on the ground!

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    Honda grip glue...glues anything rubber. You can order the rings and have them shipped. Any welder can weld away. Each rim siE used dif dia rings so it's not one size fits all.

--
    200E to trx200sx carrier done. Love it when laser cut parts just go together like a puzzle. Next week mounts will need put on for the YZ426F front caliper. One thing at a time, no rushing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

--
    Drug another junker home so I had two or 3 of everything. Selling everything else off other then motor and electronics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 200e.jpg  

--
    Swingarm mounts on, caliper mounts on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13.jpg   12.jpg  

--
    Exhaust coated. Frame made. Gussets and shock mounts will need added after another test fit of it all bolted together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13.jpg   12.jpg   14.jpg  

--
    Figured out shock length. Now to have one built so I can figure out mounts. I will use a trx200sx rear works performance shock.
    13" eye to eye. I kept a stock rear shock off trx250x (shaft drive quad) just for any mock ups. It came on a trx200sx I bought and was 15" eye to eye.

Long slow project. One thing leads to next thing so we have to do this properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resized_20240309_110204.jpeg   Resized_20240309_092618.jpeg  

--
    I bought an 81/82 250r shock. It has the correct 4inches of travel I was looking for with my 3inch of lift. I need to make a new lower bushing as its egged out but that can be fixed. The shock will need revalved later. For now I needed the shock to use as a fixture. The shock mounts are made and ready to be welded in tomorrow. One more thing done. I think it is turning out pretty good. My goal is always to make things look factory, not home grown rigged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resized_20240331_104713.jpeg   Resized_20240331_104721.jpeg   Resized_20240331_104728.jpeg   Resized_20240331_104908.jpeg   Resized_20240331_104918.jpeg   Resized_20240331_105721.jpeg  

--
    Came up with a pull start cover plate. I did not have a pull starter on this machine. I am not buying an over priced 40yo pull start for this machine. My cover plate will use a 200x stator check plug so quickly time the machine rather then remove a cover and waste a gasket each time. Just order material, should be cool when its done. This is a CNC job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg   12.jpg  

--
    400EX master cylinder and reservoir on. Next up is make a new oil lite bronze t-hat bushing foot pedal end with a new arm. The frame boss needs cut off and a new one made...metal on metal 41years didn't fair well. It's looser than octomom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12.jpg  

--
    More done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg   1.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //