//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sanding/restoring plastic. How to guide

joe_f7 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    what's the best anyone ever got a tecate tank looking like? i saw another thread and he wet sanded it and polished and it went from brown to more of a white green.
    1986 Kawasaki KXT 250 tecate
    ported, FMF pipe, DG silencer, boysen stage II reeds, 39mm keihin PWK, T4 thumb throttle and front master

--
    is there anything i can do for broken plastic?

--
    Look what ive done with my ytm200 rear fender
    My only regret is the sandpaper 40 grit it let some scratches but maybe scratch doctor will do the thing

sorry for my poor english im from Quebec so i speak french
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4roues+3roues fenders 001.jpg   4roues+3roues fenders 002.jpg  
    200$$ Ytm 200 project in progress

--
    Looks like you cleaned it up good. I know how nasty those yellow YTM fenders can get.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by PGO_bigmax_50 View Post
    Look what ive done with my ytm200 rear fender
    My only regret is the sandpaper 40 grit it let some scratches but maybe scratch doctor will do the thing

sorry for my poor english im from Quebec so i speak french
    looks good to me.probably shouldnt use a sand paper lower than 100 though.so you dont get deep scratches that youll have to deal with later.all and all looks like a great job though.
    1985 ATC 250R
    . Team Red Trike

--
    heard acetone does a great job

1984 200es Big Red.............1985 250es Big Red

--
    This is harder then it looks!! I did 1/2 of my rear fender, but only about 1/2 of it came out nice. I will have to do it over. How many times do most of you have to repeat the process for it to come out right?

--
    can this same method be used for a sun faded kx gas tank???

--
    I will be posting on how to polish ATC/ATV plastic in the coming weeks. I am working on perfecting it and you will see it can be done. My method will take your fenders/plastic tanks to the original factory shine,peeeerrrrfffffeeect. They will look like glass but the method will take hours to complete, that's the only drawback. HERE are a few pictures of some fenders I have done, they look very nice,not perfect but very very close. White fenders are much easier because any imperfections will not show up as easy. I am working on the last step, I am going to use a "ROUGE".. a ROUGE is a compound used by jewlers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1312..jpg   !BbuQVeQB2k~$(KGrHqYOKjoEq4F8pn97BK)TNpJ!9w~~_35.jpg   100_1302..jpg  

--
    thats what im talkin about, very nice work cant wait to see more..

--
    Hey dude i am working on a YTM200 project right now and i was wondering how you filled the holes that were there for the racks right behind the seat, and nice work on the fenders mine look like your befores at the moment but i will get around to restoring them

Cupar/raymore,sk,canada,north america, earth
    --
    What models of honda trikes is shaft drivin

Please sent me a message

Thanks, Riley

rckstrgrl21 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Has anyone tried using an electric sander? will it work? I am not for spending countless hours of manual labor on restoring my plastics (mainly because I dont have countless hours available to use)
    1985 Honda 200x
    ~K&N Airfilter
    ~Cobra Exhaust
    ~Holeshot Wheels
    ~Re-Jetted Carb.

--
    I have figured out that you can use a dual action on the 220 grit part, which is by far the most important, but you absolutley have to do the rest by hand. The 220 takes the longest just because of the big scratches and divots that might be in the plastic, and if you dont get them out, you will know when you get into the finer grits.

--
    Hell yeah dude, every since i found this thread ive tried it on every machine in my shed, dont matter what the color, year, or model is, it works on any plastic, even gas tanks

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //