//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Honda 70 stalls out

--

Honda 70 stalls out

Hi Guys I just found this site and just did a search for my question and didn't find what I was looking for so here I go.

I just bought my kids a 1982 Honda 70 threewheeler and its a fun machine. But we are having a problem with the machine stalling or just plain dieing. The machine will rund great for about 15 minutes and then the engine will miss a few times and die. I checked compression cold and I get 90 psi and after it stalls I get 90 psi.

I thought that after the engine warmed up that much that maybe my compression would be low but its not. The engine also seems really hot when it stalls. I gave the carb a good cleaning also put sume new gas filters on it. I don't have a manual yet but I will be ordering one in a few weeks.

Also what should my carb setting be set at for my idle and air screw?

Thanks the help!
    Matt

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    SOUNDS LIKE A GAS CAP VENT,,,, or maybe athe screen behind the petcock,,,,is dirty,,,

I agree with kasey but it could be a coil too.
    84 Honda Big Red w/plow
    85 Honda 200X
    88 Honda CR 125
    86 350x(in process of building)
    :trikesown :Beerchug :trikesown

--

Question Ok

Ok guys thanks for the input. Last time it stalled out it still had spark. But I will run it again today and check it again. I did clean out the screen behind the gas petcock also there was alittle bit of crud but not to much. I will take a look at the fuel tank vent in the gas cap also.

It it normal for the engine to get really hot also where it is almost steaming?
    Do you guys know the carb settings on this machine?
    Thanks alot,
    Matt

--
    I agree with the others, put a low level of gas in the tank, loosen the cap and run it for a while and see if it improves.

I am not familliar with the names of the adjustment screws, what I do know, facing the carb on the left side, there are two screws to adjust. On mine, the left screw is bottomed out (stock setting), the right screw that controls idle is 1 turn out (stock setting).

Might wanna reconsider using a carb kit made by moose utilities division for your atc 70, if you find yourself considering it, I used the kit and it ran like junk after the rebuild, I cleaned and reinstalled the old idle and main jet/needle, along with the old float needle, and old adjustment screws with the original springs and it runs great, like it did before...paid for a rebuild kit and use the seals only what a piece of crap for a kit. When you took the bowl off to clean, was your idle jet, the one to the left of the main jet inside the float, is it a press in or screw in on your carb, some are press in - some are screw in, the kit I mentioned does not supply a press in jet and the main jet is all wrong?

I do know this little sucker gets real hot.

Something else that happened on mine, it didn't wanna run right when I first brought it home, come to find out the plastic choke switch was worn and the choke was staying closed, no matter what position the switch was in, so might wanna be sure thats not happening to you either.

Something else I know, I fixed this thing up for my nephews and I am having just as much fun as they are. Good luck with your atc
    Last edited by lilatv; 08-28-2004 at 08:06 AM.

--
    Hey thanks for the reply. I am looking at getting a carb kit so I will look into the brand of the kit. I did check the choke on mine and it is working ok. I will try the low level gas trick and see how that goes. I am surfing ebay right now for a manual for this Atv. I know what you mean about the kids having fun, I have a 6 year old and a 3 1/2 year old and they love it until it stalls out.
    Thank again,
    Matt

if the engine is running really hot then it could be running lean or not getting its gas properly,try taking the fuel line off and turn the gas on and see if any comes out,what does the fuel line look like?
    84 Honda Big Red w/plow
    85 Honda 200X
    88 Honda CR 125
    86 350x(in process of building)
    :trikesown :Beerchug :trikesown

--
    just sounds like the vent in the fule cap..i had that the other day...you cant use a big o ring it will cause it not to vent somehow..lol
    1985 Tri-Z-

Quote Originally Posted by mywifeknowseverything
    Just hit the Freakin Gas and Hold on!!!!!

--

Question

Thanks for the suggestions again guys. I checked the air filter and there was none so I am wondering if that would cause the machine to run lean? I have changed the fuel lines so I know they are ok. I do get some crap in the screen for the fuel petcock though. I think I need to put some kind of sealer in the tank and reseal it, there is some rust in there.
    I will check my tank cap also to see if its working ok also,
    Thanks again guys
    Matt

--
    No air filter will cause it to run lean but it should still run non the less.

For added assurance that rust doesn't get into the carb, go to your local autoparts store and ask for two lawn mower fuel filters. The ones I picked up look just like the ones that atv/atc parts houses sell, kind of a cone shape, clear with a metal filter element as opposed to paper. Looks kinda cool on the litte 70...haha.

Since my last post I have adjusted my carb differently and it works a tad bit better. Facing the left side of the carb, there are two screws, the one on the left turn it all the way in until it bottoms out, thenturn it 1 full turn then a 1/4 out, then bottom out the screw on the right and turn it out 1.5 turns, start the three wheeler and adjust the screw on the right until you get an even idle and the three wheeler doesn't want to shut down, see how that works...with no filter element to restrict flow you might wanna start the right screw at 2 turns out. Lemme know if that helps...as I am trying to figure out these little 4 strokes. good luck

--
    carb kit and cleaning. Had the same problem with my 70

--

This might help…

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/
    Here is a site that I have taken manuals from. Free pdf download. From there you can pick your ATC, then download it’s service manual. FYI I have also found the “OEM Parts Finder” at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC’s website to be a very helpful, in depth parts diagram resource. It has better diagrams than the service manuals, and I find myself cross referencing constantly, especially for the carb. Hope this helps

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //