//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP!: Timing chain tensioner won't let go of my timing chain! (200s)

Studytime is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

HELP!: Timing chain tensioner won't let go of my timing chain! (200s)

So, I'm trying to get the stock 200s cam out of my '84 and I can see it, but I can't get the timing tensioner to back it's pressure off.

I had the timing tensioner off on the floor, but the chain was still taut.

Also, everything is out of the way and the two bolts on the cam gear are loose, so this is holding me back.

Please help if you can. I have used a 14 mm wrench to pull the whole assembly out of the crankcase (near they cylinder). The assembly I removed consisted of a bolt-like piece hollow in the middle with another bolt (10 mm head) that goes through the top of it.

Thanks!
    Studytime

p.s. was I supposed to mark the cdi's location? it just jumped out and I didn't get to mark any of it! Ooops.

atczack is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Study,

I'm assuming you don't have a manual. My manual say's to losen the lower nut of the two nut's that you adjust the tension with. After loosening the lower nut stick a narrow punch or screwdriver in the hole in the center of the adjustment nut's and push downward on the tensioner assembly. this should get you the slack you need.
    atczack
    1985 Honda ATC 250 Big Red
    "Ugly Betty" from the handlebars back it's a
    1982 Honda ATC200es, from the handlebars
    forward it's a 1988 Honda TRX 300 Fourtrax.

"If you wanna play, you gotta pay..."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atczack
    Study,

I'm assuming you don't have a manual. My manual say's to losen the lower nut of the two nut's that you adjust the tension with. After loosening the lower nut stick a narrow punch or screwdriver in the hole in the center of the adjustment nut's and push downward on the tensioner assembly. this should get you the slack you need.
    atczack

Well, it's 44 degrees outside, and that's cold for Louisiana, but I'm going back outside! I did NOT see that anywhere in the manual.

Thanks a lot ZACK!

Studytime

atczack is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Theres no need to mark the CDI location. It's pretty easy to get everything back in line when your putting it all back together.

--
    page #73, figure#44

--
    page #73, figure#44

Just finished putting my coat on. Thanks for the additional info. Let's see page 76, fig 44. I'm off!

Studytime

--
    Just a tip. What I usually do when I pull the jug off of the lower end is take a piece of long wire or coathanger and as soon as the jug pulls about a 1/2" up from the crankcase stick the wire/coathanger through the links of the timing chain so it doesn't fall down into the lower end.

--
    No,no,no lol page 73 figure 44 lol Drink some coffee study!

--
    Well studytime, I gotta get to bed, I've been running since early this morning. I'll check up on you tomorrow to see how the project is going. It's cold as hell down here in Florida too, it's about 50 outside! Talk at ya later.
    atczack

--
    hey study, nice to see you back after your opinion got you kicked off. Guess some people just don't like confrontation. Ohh well, what you gonna do about that? Any ways, let me know how the swap goes. Hopefully you pick up some top end power.
    '01 406ex, 11:1 compression, ported & polished.
    LOTS of Honda 3-Wheelers!

--
    Well, the tensioner let go alright...

Let's see... since my last post. I was able to free the timing chain up and get the old cam out. I immediately got some twine and tied my timing chain up so that it wouldn't fall off the bottom srocket.

Okay, so now I've got the 200s and the xr200 cams in my hand, and let me just say the XR cam is visibly taller and broader = more lift and more duration.

Next, I get the XR cam slid home. I made sure to carefully mark the chain as to put it on the cam sprocket properly. I get the chain on the sprocket and let the tensioner go as to apply tension on the chain...

then NO TENSION. Looks like the chain slipped off the bottom sprocket. So, another board member is coming over tomorrow to help me finish it up. Hope to be riding it soon.

I'm not going to say this other board member's name, but he's not the ah...hem.... character that he presents on this board in real life. He's a nice guy. So, he'll probably be over tomorrow to help me button the engine back up after the chain ordeal gets sorted out.

Thanks again to Zack and to the others who helped.

Studytime

--
    Awesome man. It's cool to be a member of this site where you can help people out and also get help with your problem's and question's. Let us know how it turn's out.

--
    Awesome man. It's cool to be a member of this site where you can help people out and also get help with your problem's and question's. Let us know how it turn's out.

Will do. That's because I'll read something like some guy puts nitrous on his ATC70 and he goes out to test it and says he'll report back and never does. Well, maybe not that extrem but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

As for the cam, mwill15 who happens to be pretty handy is coming over to help me finish the project up. He's been working on Hondas for a long time now. You guys should ride his 400ex!

Anyway, maybe I'll get to ride the trike later this afternoon. I'll post my impressions of the cam then.

Yes, it's nice to be able to go somewhere to get help. Oh, and a special thanks to Frank too. Thanks Frank (& others)!

Studytime

--
    Got it installed & it's running!

Studytime

--
    Allright study, nice job!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //