//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to power valve your Tri-Z

Apollo is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Man, that is an awsome thread. I love technical stuff.

--
    I received my new piston kit today. The rest of the parts should be in by friday, so i'll add to this post sometime this weekend.
    2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

--
    Ok. Here's the cylinder installed. Notice the vacuum port installed in the cylinder for the fuel pump. I chose to use a standard threaded one from Napa, just tapped it and screwed it in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powervalve 10.jpg  

--
    Now here's the first real "Problem" I've ran into.

My engine didn't come with an intake or reedcage, so I picked one up on ebay...well this is supposedly off an 83, which obviously won't work on the 87. (the intake would fit but there was NO WAY that reed cage was fitting!)

Next Picture: Here's my quick solution. I carved an adapter out of some plate aluminum and just reused the stock Tri-Z intake and reed cage. Wonder how it will work with the boost box hooked up?!?

Last Picture: Here's another shot of the adapter. I will probably move this to my trail bike later and use something else on this bike. You can see in the picture the nest issue of fitting a filter on the carb!

I'll finish up the engine on Monday. Watch for more pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powervalve 11.jpg   Powervalve 12.jpg   Powervalve 13.jpg  

--
    ill buy that part from you , the 83, like mine, has that huge 8 petal reed cage, and a 38-40mm carb willl not fit in the little 32mm intake,if it does by chance, be forewarned, you WILL run lean on top end,even with a 580 main!
    1985 With "86" Plastic's,Custom 12" Alluminum Extended Swing Arm,39MM PWK,"TRX" Filter,9 Paddle TALLER HALLER'S on 11" Wide Rim's,LOT'S of Stainless,LOT'S of Alluminum,LOT'S of PowderCoating,NOTHING Stock..

FASTEST Tri-Z on The Planet...MAKE A NOTE !! and the SECOND FASTEST, WRITE IT DOWN AGAIN!!!

--
    What's the theory behind the intake making the engine run lean? I'm running a 37mm in the stock intake right now with no issues. I'll keep that in mind, but I'm going to see if it fits in my other engine first. I may be able to just switch them around.

I can see right now, that a custom intake will have to be built to run the stock airbox set-up on the trail bike. That thing is seriously kicked over to the left.

--
    i see , i thought you might have a 32mm carb going on that intake, a 37 will be fine
    1985 With "86" Plastic's,Custom 12" Alluminum Extended Swing Arm,39MM PWK,"TRX" Filter,9 Paddle TALLER HALLER'S on 11" Wide Rim's,LOT'S of Stainless,LOT'S of Alluminum,LOT'S of PowderCoating,NOTHING Stock..

FASTEST Tri-Z on The Planet...MAKE A NOTE !! and the SECOND FASTEST, WRITE IT DOWN AGAIN!!!

--
    Just an update. I fired the bike friday night, seemed to run fine. Today I did a soft 1/2hr ride to break in the rings and it seems to be doing well. I'm working on getting an air filter installed and will post up some more pictures tomorrow. I have had 2 intakes on it now. Still not satisfied so I am going to build a custom aluminum one, soon.

--
    Here's the last two pictures of the air filter and adaptor I went with.

All in all, I spent $250 total on the engine swap, and don't feel it was a worthwhile investment. I guess it really only cost me about $150 extra, because I needed to freshen the top end anyhow.

I wouldn't recommend spending extra cash just to do this swap, because it really didn't show me any performance gains. Unless something changes it was a big disappointment.

I already had the DG pipe and silencer, 36mm carb, Uni filter, and Boyessen reeds. Everything stayed the same with the exeption of the powervalve topend and it feels the same.

The only thing left to try would be to swap the flywheel, as the Tri-Z flywheel is huge compared to the YZ.

This thread is officially done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powervalve 14.jpg   Powervalve 15.jpg  

--
    thats very odd... they have 8 hp more than a stock z, maybe the 83 motor like mine has more hp, i noticed a night and day difference, my stock motored z had a new top end and i went up two teeth on the front sprocket with the powervalved z , and the powervavled z still out runs the stock z on bottom end pull and alot more on top, you must not have it dialed in right, i run a 40.5 mm carb, i tried a 38mm, and it had NO POWER!!

--
    Yeah man, you got something seriously wrong. My 87 is almost completly stock, and it will walk all over most anything its up against (besides all out high dollar drag banshees)

I agree with 03 orange shee, you dont have something dialed in right. I was running a 38mm carb on mine, but it also has the pvl style ignition.
    My Z with the 87 YZ motor is a good 10-12 bike lengths ahead of a stock 85 Z in the 300 ft drag races... if your not seeing the same, you got something not working correctly.

--
    so 03 orangeshee...is yours an 87 top end then?
    1985 Tri-Z-

Quote Originally Posted by mywifeknowseverything
    Just hit the Freakin Gas and Hold on!!!!!

--
    Here's what i'm saying guys, I only changed to the powervalve set-up. Nothing else. So it's probable that the whole YZ engine has many different benifits over the Tri-Z, not all in the powervalve assembly. I think that I'll switch to a bigger carb next, since that's an easy swap. Then i'll try the flywheel/ ignition swap.

Brandon and I are going to go race them today, so i'll have a better idea. Before his R and my Z were dead even. It was 50/50. 10-12 bike lengths in 300 ft is HUGE! I'm sure I would be able to feel that. I'll let you know how that goes, as well as any differences in carb swaps and flywheel/ignition swaps. Then we'll know exactly where all the power is coming from.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Adams
    10-12 bike lengths in 300 ft is HUGE! I'm sure I would be able to feel that.
    Oh yeah, you'll be able to feel it!! And your face will show it!! The smile will be permanent for a few days... If all else fails, yank that top end off, and drop that YZ motor in like I said you should of in the first place. If it still runs like the Z motor, something is messed with the top end.

--
    mine is a 83 stock yz motor, no porting what so ever, and like chainsaw says, very big grin on your face after riding, it feels like i went from a blaster to a banshee, there is that much difference, 8 hp is alot on a light three wheeler 32 vs. 40 , i went up two teeth on the front sprocket(15/40) and it i still cant keep the front end down through 4th unless i let off the gas , the 13 tooth has too much tire spin, or i couldnt crack it for fear of flipping over backwards

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //