//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New pic of 500R, got the seat, need info please read.....

--

New pic of 500R, got the seat, need info please read.....

Hey. Heres a current picture of the 500R. I just got the seat today. As you can see its far from fitting correctly. I'm going to remold the seat pan and then recover it but I'm waiting on my 400ex subframe to arrive before I can get to fabing it all up. I'm going to make a custom cover too.

I'm concerned about the fender hieght an such. Obviously it won't be the same but someone with a 250R could you measure how much distance is between the reqar wheels and the rear fenders height wise. Obviously mine won't be the same but it will help me in setting the subframe at the right height. Any info/opinions would help cause I'm building this thing from pictures and such so i don't know the best alignment and etc. I do know I need to take in to acount the fact that the suspension isn't loaded so the fender will sit at a higher angle untill the suspension is loaded. Right now the seat height is so rediculously high. I know once its all fabbed up correclt the fedner/seat height HAS to be much lower or it will be unridable/unslideable. Any info is welcome. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by Louis Mielke; 02-10-2005 at 05:46 PM.
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    I would consider mounting the thank further back and not so far forward. Also consider moving the fender brackets forward for the rear fenders.

This is a tough one. I am sure others can help you better than I. Did you try any other seats?

See if that helps.

SEND ME PM HERE - CLICK HERE

1986 ATC 250r, 1986 Tri Z, 1990 LT 500R "Quadzilla"

Dirtbikes:

1994 KTM 550 MXC (yes its a two stroke...66 hp stock!)
    1988 Yamaha DT

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    I'd try an atc250R tank for seat alignment, and possibly bring it back further (The only thing is, this makes you stretch for the front bars and it is slightly uncomfortable. For ride height, kind of late now, but you might consider changing the angle of the rear shock mount so it is not as much of an extreme. If you move it back, you'll lower your ride height. If you still want to use that shock max out the suspension with a tie down ratchet and see what your ground clearence is, consider moving the shock back an appropriate amount to take up some of that clearence. Try a shorter rear shock, Slide the front forks up in the tripples 1.5 inches or so. Max the front out and check clearences, adjust as needed. My CR500 trike is going to be for drags only, so I plan on taking the CR500 tank off and making a small aluminum unit. Subframe will be custom made with an 86 250r frame as a template. I'm considering making it totally rigid but I will probably use some short forks in the front with a little bit of travel just to keep it from getting squirly if there are some brake bumps or something in the way.

Quickonstep is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    hey loius.. wanna trade that seat for mine? i got a 400ex seat, but it says SPORT trax instead of FOUR trax.. just a thought.. both the same color

Jesse

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Mielke

someone with a 250R could you measure how much distance is between the reqar wheels and the rear fenders height wise.

\

My 85r measures 12". Looks like a great project! Good luck......................
    ...... ............

84'R pic page; http://magoos.wheatfarm.com/pictures/index.php

--
    just use a newer model cr500 tank and keep the rear fenders, just make sure they are cut right so they look like they are supposed to be there, and make your own seat pan and use a custom atc500 seat cover....lower the suspension a couple inches too...holy crap!
    1985 Honda ATC250R drag trike with s/t kit and full drag CR hybrid motor and drag chassis...
    1986 Honda ATC250R daily rider fully modded engine, +4 swinger,etc...
    1997 Polaris Storm 800 triple, boyesen reeds, dg individual silencers, 240 studs, 123mph on radar...

--
    Well thanks for all the suggestions. Trust me your guys don't know how much I appriciate it. As for the suggestions. The tank is finalized....I really like that tank, and I really don't have any desire to move it further back. The fenders and seat though...will be receiving so modification. The seat is going to be totally remolded a. to fit the tank, and be to make the fenders look like they match the tank. The fenders will be cut so they match the tank, and will definatly have an angle so that the lines of the fenders match up wit hht etank so it looks right.

Basically I'm waiting for my 400ex subframe to come in the mail so I can use parts from it and parts from the CR subframe to make a new subframe that positions the fenders correctly. Then I'll be able to decide exactly what to do to the seat pan. I may even shave the foam an inch. I dunno about that yet.The seat pan is definatly going to be reshaped though, I'm goignt o heat the pan at the curve and lay it down flatt another inch or two and then form a new curve, then shave/bend the nose to fit the CR tank better.

Thanks for the fender measurments. Thats a help. And Quickonstep, I'll give you my seat cover when I take it off and make a pattern from it cause I won't need it anymore.

The supension is a toughy. I'm not getting another shock, that ones brand new from works and wasn't cheap. I am playing with the spring sag/rate though. I'm also toying with the idea of cutting out a new lower suspension link to lower the ride height. The real battle is the trade off between ground clearance and ride height. I want this to be a all around rider, not just a duner or drag racer.

--
    would it be possible to reuse the shock and just fab a bracket so that the shock mounts to the bracket below the swingarm and the other end of the bracket connects to the swingarm?
    86 KXT250B1 (4)
    87 KXT250B2
    85 ATC250R
    85 ATC350X
    84 ATC200S
    87 Banshee
    96 ZX7R

--
    I adapted 85r fenders onto a 84r. Had to meld two seat pans together. Then build a one of a kind seat. Anything is possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mockup.jpg  
    ...... ............

84'R pic page; http://magoos.wheatfarm.com/pictures/index.php

--
    Anyone who's interested. Updated my site. The 500r project page has subframe prliminary design picture.

crackshot is offline Worthless, would be a vast improvement. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    That's gonna be one mean trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro when it's finished.

atczack is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    It look's like the seat/rear fender's would line up perfectly and fall into place if the current subframe was not in place. Could you take the current subframe out and join the seat/fender combo to the tank how you like it and ductape the front part of the seat to the tank where it won't move, and duct tape down the side of the tank onto the front part of the fender tabs that are under the tank. This way you could then get under the rear fender's and take measurement's from the bottom of the seat pan down to where the subframe will bolt to the CR frame. Whatever way you decide, I'm sure it will match the rest of the quality of your project. That's just my 2 cent's.
    1985 Honda ATC 250 Big Red
    "Ugly Betty" from the handlebars back it's a
    1982 Honda ATC200es, from the handlebars
    forward it's a 1988 Honda TRX 300 Fourtrax.

"If you wanna play, you gotta pay..."

--

seat tank issues on a cr500

A couple of things to think about first of all what air cleaner are you going to run, please dont say radiator hose technique. secondly do you have the factory cr500 air box (cut down to allow alot more air) (assuming your using CR500 frame) if you do put it back in factory location then leaving stock air box mounts in place figure how much you need to cut out above the mounts to get seat /tank looking right you should remove approximately 2- 3 inches then reweld 2 peices back together take your time and trust me in the end it makes for a cleaner look. I used an atc 250r fender seat combo one of the things we did find was the seat placement didnt sit right with the tank even after cutting subframe so i ended up repositioning seat mounting holes on fenders moving them forward about 3 inches so when you slide up on tank (you will need to) I had a little seat cushion versus hard plastic. If your interested I can get some pics tomarrow as digital camera is at work. Good luck on Build, wish you would have just bought mine geez people quit killing yourselves

P.s. What are your plans for starting it with your current pipe combo exiting out the rear your fenders wont flip up allowing you to kick. if this is not the plan then you might want to check into a set of 86-87 tecate 3 fenders as they have a spce to kick thru , this was going to be my other idea but instead i went with drag pipe. just something to think about!

--
    dont mess with the suspension, just lower the subframe a little....it might necessitate lowering the stinger on the pipe, but that shouldnt be too much, or a problem at all....
    1985 Honda ATC250R drag trike with s/t kit and full drag CR hybrid motor and drag chassis...
    1986 Honda ATC250R daily rider fully modded engine, +4 swinger,etc...
    1997 Polaris Storm 800 triple, boyesen reeds, dg individual silencers, 240 studs, 123mph on radar...

--
    Well first off....if I bought yours (assuming its the one I'm thinking it is) I would never ride it because I don't need nor want a swingarm thats a million feet to long. Mines a 4" extension from stock and I don't even like that extra length.

Secondly, If you'd go to my website you'd see my subframe design is very different from the flip up design most people do on these 500 builds..I really dislike the idea of flipping up the seat and I plan on avoiding it.

I repeat, I'm building a general purpose machine. I plan on doing more with it that just drag racing.

My air box plans are not finalized but it will definatly utilize factory Honda parts. I may go with the 400ex air box. I dunno at this point in the game thats the least of my concerns.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //