//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: how much does it usually cost for rebore or hone of your cylinder?

--
    You know what shape your cylinder with a COMPRESSION TEST!!!!!!!!

A compression gague is essential for motorcycle riders. Even if your bike runs well, you will have a baseline to go by when your engine gets older.

Be sure it has an adaptor to fit your head. It is a different size than car plug holes.
    86 250R
    86 250R
    86 250R
    85 250R
    82 250R
    86 350X
    81 185X
    85 250SX
    87 200X

Sitting on my can can, doing the pan-o-ram..

--
    thanks guys for the grest advice! these boards rule!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisr200x
    Does anyone have a pic of this hone so i know what i'm looking for...also do I need a drill press?

They sell a hone with 3 stones that I've seen used mainly in automotive cylinders which works but I like the ball hones. There are about a hundred balls on the end of some support rods and they work very well - I have no idea where to get it other than where I got mine - McMaster/Carr.

Anyone who uses a drill press for honing has no idea how to hone unless it has a very slow speed, but then again most people don't really know how to anyway. The idea is to end up with a cross hatch pattern in the cylinder which is accomplished with a variable speed drill going slow and moving in and out of the cylinder maybe once for every few revolutions of the hone. It takes some practice to be done correctly. I have seen many knuckleheads flipping there drill on and just cruising in and out and thinking that they did a great job.

You've got a 4 stroke there, spend the 125$ for a bore, hone and a new piston and ring and you will get many hours and be glad you did it. Bring the new piston so they get it right.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Last edited by Huffa; 03-25-2005 at 08:23 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher
    They sell a hone with 3 stones that I've seen used mainly in automotive cylinders which works but I like the ball hones. There are about a hundred balls on the end of some support rods and they work very well - I have no idea where to get it other than where I got mine - McMaster/Carr.

Anyone who uses a drill press for honing has no idea how to hone unless it has a very slow speed, but then again most people don't really know how to anyway. The idea is to end up with a cross hatch pattern in the cylinder which is accomplished with a variable speed drill going slow and moving in and out of the cylinder maybe once for every few revolutions of the hone. It takes some practice to be done correctly. I have seen many knuckleheads flipping there drill on and just cruising in and out and thinking that they did a great job.

You've got a 4 stroke there, spend the 125$ for a bore, hone and a new piston and ring and you will get many hours and be glad you did it. Bring the new piston so they get it right.
    Dirtcrasher is right. You can't just go in with the drill revving it to the moon and expect a good job. You also must be sure when using the 3 blade type that you don't protrude out the bottom or top too far as this will cause it to burr the edge of the cylinder or the stones to go on an angl too much.. At least I think thats what will happen?

I used to do it years ago at a mower shop. I just remember slow and steady alternating the speed somewhat. That was 20 years ago so excuse me if I'm wrong about it.

--
    really i was just wondering how much it would cost at a mechanic? lol

--
    yep, you have to go slow.
    dont do it if you dont have any experience or never seen anyone else do it.
    1986 350X K&N filter, DG Krome Power exhaust
    1982 110 UNI filter, Cobra megaphone exhaust

1982 honda 110 exhaust for sale, PM me.

--
    The abstraction is to end up with a cantankerous bear arrangement in the butt which is able with a capricious acceleration assignment travelling apathetic and affective in and out of the butt maybe already for every few revolutions of the hone.

Toledo_Tommy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I just dropped my cylinder off at PR racing engines and it was a grand total of $227.00 . That is a bore and new wiseco prolite piston , just for your info they run a couple of hone jobs on it after they bore.

--
    get it bored and hones to the correct next sized piston. it will still smoke and still not run right and will haev piston slap due to loose piston ont he jug if you just hone. Trust me, I know cause I haev done it many times to tr yto jsut get it going, but within a yra it's back for a new refresh and bore this time.

bore/hone with new 200x piston you can expect to spend about $120 parts and machining. that is with a ebay 200x or xr200 piston. rememeber to get a .020 larger or .5m larger piston. that will be the next size up. so this means you must take yours appart and measure the cyclinder and piston to ensure correct sizings to the next step are correct. i have foudn where some real spart person stuck a stock piston into a bored cyclinder and could not figure out why is smoked.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shanefoster View Post
    The abstraction is to end up with a cantankerous bear arrangement in the butt which is able with a capricious acceleration assignment travelling apathetic and affective in and out of the butt maybe already for every few revolutions of the hone.
    say what? .
    2-stroke lover

Ironbnder is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Kinda off topic but-

I had a machine shop bore a 460 Ford and press the new 30 over pistolas on the rods for me. Brought it home, slammed it together, installed, fired it up and it barely ran and sounded like an old Cummins diesel. Tore it back down to discover they bored it 60 over. And I remind you that they had the pistons in there hands when they bored it! They had to find me another block and rebore it correctly. I have not used them since and this was a very reputable shop. I now remic before assemble, I do not care who bores it. That was alot of work to do twice.
    FEEDBACK@ http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-Ironbnder

86 250R
    86 350X
    87 250sx
    85 200x/cb350 custom
    81 185s/200x/250r custom
    79 atc 70
    Mini-Trail z50, 110cc Pit Bike
    and many multi-wheeled machines

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //