//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 86' Tri-Z starting after its been running problem

--

Exclamation 86' Tri-Z starting after its been running problem

Well I figured out my starting problem and it was too much fuel from my buddy fiddling with the carb. Anyways
    The problem-
    I start her up using bump start cause I cant kick it over, drive it around and I cant start it again. I leave it for a few mintues and its fine, after about 10 minutes I cant start it agian. The only way i can start it is by bump starting it. Can it be the fuel pump? How do you tri Z guys start them? Wide open throttle?

thanks for the help.
    RPFLU member and co-owner.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintore
    Well I figured out my starting problem and it was too much fuel from my buddy fiddling with the carb. Anyways
    The problem-
    I start her up using bump start cause I cant kick it over, drive it around and I cant start it again. I leave it for a few mintues and its fine, after about 10 minutes I cant start it agian. The only way i can start it is by bump starting it. Can it be the fuel pump? How do you tri Z guys start them? Wide open throttle?

thanks for the help.
    I turn the choke on only when the engine is cold and don't touch the throttle because mine will flood if i do.
    1985 YAMAHA TRI-Z 250 sold

2006 YFZ 450

--
    So if its been sitting you have to bump start it.

If its warm it will start right up.

If it cools down then it won't start.

I think it might be your fuel pump...here is why:

When mine sat like that it would not start. Then if I got it running the float was full of gas and would start right up quick.

But it if sat for more than 3 hours the float would somehow drain and it would not start again.

DO THIS: the next time it does not start...go put some gas down the spark plug hole. See if it start then or just use a gravity fed gas tank. Get a coke bottle put a hose through the front nozzle tape it up good and plug the line to your carb.

See if its start then. If you just put gas down the spark plug hole it will run for about 5 seconds then stop.

My thought is that you fuel pump will pump some gas into the carb when you pull start it. Thats because it works and works while the tires are moving.

SEND ME PM HERE - CLICK HERE

1986 ATC 250r, 1986 Tri Z, 1990 LT 500R "Quadzilla"

Dirtbikes:

1994 KTM 550 MXC (yes its a two stroke...66 hp stock!)
    1988 Yamaha DT

--
    Well im going to buy a fuel pump seal kit from bikebandit.com. So hopefully that fixes my problems.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    I highly doubt its a fuel pump problem, but all you have to do is pull the gas line off the gas shutoff and kick it over a few times. If gas pees out when you kick it over, it works.
    The problem you describe is typical when the top end is shot. Have you done a compression check?

--
    Well, sorry to bring back my old thread. But I figured I could just use my old one instead of creating a new one. Anyways-
    I got the seal kit and it works good now. Compression is there. But now it idles really high and sometimes still has problems starting. So my Uncle and I cleaned everything, took the fuel lines off then put them back on and then tried and it worked. Shut it off and waited 15 minutes again and it didnt work, ahhh! Could there be a air pocket in my fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump?
    I heard that the iding real high is the float in the carb so I took that off and taking it in on monday.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    If it is ideling high then i think it is starving for gas.
    1985 YAMAHA TRI-Z 250 sold

2006 YFZ 450

--
    Did you check compression? Did you do the simple kick test to see if your fuel pump works? What happens when you back the idle screw out? How far is your air screw out? By "cleaned everything" do you mean you completely removed all jets, and blew through every orifice, especially the pilot jet?

--
    Yea, mu uncle checked compresion when I was just getting there. He said it is good.
    I did the simple test of the fuel pump and it works. Havent touched the idle or air screw? where are those located?
    and cleaned everything I mean like the hoses and lines.
    Sorry im terrible at carbs, the jets are where? and what does the pilot jet do?
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    Kintore...two things:

1) What color is your spark plug?

2) Listen to Tim Sr!

SEND ME PM HERE - CLICK HERE

1986 ATC 250r, 1986 Tri Z, 1990 LT 500R "Quadzilla"

Dirtbikes:

1994 KTM 550 MXC (yes its a two stroke...66 hp stock!)
    1988 Yamaha DT

TRIZTUNES is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

86 Tri-z Starting After Its Been Running Problem.

HEY!!!!

sounds like you have a vacume leak(suching air )causing it to run lean.
    check base gasket and reed vavle gasket.when running spray carb cleaner around bottom of cylinder if it starts to bog down it is the base gasket.
    do the same around reed vavle.

TRIZTUNES!!!!!

--
    Got her going! The line on the top of the tank to the steering stem was unhooked. So air was getting in, and we also cleaned the air filter, all the lines, and the carb. The jets too. Thanks alot for helping me TimSr and Darius and TRIZTUNES and twgranger.

Runs so good I was drag races cars in my field and beating them! I love my Z.

P.S Darius- I got a new kickstart assembly and headlight shell for 150 can.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    i dont know tri-zs but it sounds like your vaccum line to the fuel pump might be loose or something, because the way i uderstand is the vaccum line is in the intake of the cylinder. and when you kick it over the vaccum from the cylinder sucks in the fuel starting the fuel pump, if so then that vaccum line could be bad or something, once again dont look at me like a fool but thats how i under stand the tri-z fuel pumps/ fuel systems
    adam
    Last edited by RideRed250R; 04-17-2005 at 06:13 PM.
    86 ATC 500R the duner..
    85 ATC 500R...the not quite finished faster duner
    1985 ATC 250R Bone stock!!
    1985 ATC250R mx/duner
    1986 TRX370R MX/Duner
    94 Banshee 400PV Cheetah 105RWHP

--
    does anyone have a diagram or a picture of the hose routing for carb and fuel pump
    so I can verify my hook up is correct

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //