//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CR500 trike conversion project Begins.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries

CR500 trike conversion project Begins.

T-minus 1 month, 2 days still Trikefest05. And heres the story.

Earlier this year I traded my 84 ATC250R to atczack for his 1985 CR500. Both machines needed a fair amount of work. The first 2 picture reflect the CR500 in dirtbike form a few days after I brought it home. I did a few things to it, and rode it. The only problem I had was cranking it...the thing is a BEAR and a half to crank. I'm a big guy (Around 230) and it takes all I got to turn this thing through. I'm going to have to get some MX boots. I've rode it probably 3 different times in bike form and 2 out of the 3 it was pull started with my ass hanging over the rear wheel and working the clutch in 3rd gearing trying to keep the rear wheel from sliding.

If you've been on the homepage much recently, you've probably seen the Laegers CR500 conversion kit article from ATV Sports that BLAZERONE22 sent in. I scored this same kit on ebay for a mere $260 total with shipping. The seller has been a bit slow to send the parts but thursday I received the first shipment, and Saturday another. The first shipment was the front wheel, tire, hub, brake disc, front axle, and caliper (No pictures). This front wheel setup has a small adapter plate made out of a plate of aluminum to adapt the CR500 larger diameter brake disc onto the ATC250R front hub. The CR500 brake caliper is also used. Upon inspecting the front wheel bearings with the front axle still in it I noticed the front axle was actually bent, about a 1/4 inch in the middle. At this point I'm questioning the maintence, and use these parts had before I received them. The second package, was the much anticipated custom steel tripple clamps, Some front forks that turned out being junk (Pictures below), and a rear axle. The tripple clamps came without the stem and even had some damage from them apparently removing the original stem. The whole area where the stem presses in is bent to hell and even the round tubing in a few places from a swing gone astray The forks, well, theres not much to say about them except the one has a chunk broke out of the bottom leg and the other has some kind of gobbed up **** on it at the top thats suppose to be a cap.

The intitial tear down started Saturday when the whole frontend was dissasembled enabling me to have the original stem pressed out of the OEM tripple clamps so it can then be pressed into the new wider, steel ones. It was at this time I also discovered that there was a problem with these new steel tripple clamps. Both it, and the frame had the steering stops in the same position, the middle. This made a definete conflict on how they were to mount, but was not that big of a problem since I later just ground it off and prepared the surface for new ones to be welded on in the some position as the ones on the old aluminum clamps. After encountering this problem I was sweating bullets to see if the forks were even the same diameter as what needed to go in the new clamps, luckily they were.

Today I took the old bottom tripple clamp to town and had the stem pressed out by a friend since the hydraulic cylinder for our press was out being repacked. After I got back home I immediatly checked the fitmet on the stem and the new tripples and found that it was the right diamater, but also found that during the previous owners swinging fury he had damaged the area where the stem presses in and causes it to be out of round and mushroomed on the inside. This should not cause a whole lot of problem with fitment but it does definetly make me wonder if these parts were on a trike/bike that was involved in a serious accident prior to their removal and sale. I waited today till around 3:00PM hoping the mailman would bring me a new package, but he didn't. Figuring I would get my next shipment (Hopefully the subframe, seat, and fenders, or the swingarm) tomorrow I started dissaembling the CR500 so when I received the conversion parts I could put them right on. I removed the seat, the gas tank, air scoops, the rear subframe, the rear fenders, the airbox, and I'm not even sure what all else (Picture below of the pile of stuff).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CR5001.jpg   CR5002.jpg   new-tripples.jpg   junkfork1.jpg   junkfork2.jpg   bikeparts.jpg  

--
    OOOOOH YA .......It's going to RIP!!!
    Gordons Well...#1 in this World, Home of "The Nick", "The Mutt", "The Husq" and "the Alky"

--
    sure hope you got your will squared out!
    1985 With "86" Plastic's,Custom 12" Alluminum Extended Swing Arm,39MM PWK,"TRX" Filter,9 Paddle TALLER HALLER'S on 11" Wide Rim's,LOT'S of Stainless,LOT'S of Alluminum,LOT'S of PowderCoating,NOTHING Stock..

FASTEST Tri-Z on The Planet...MAKE A NOTE !! and the SECOND FASTEST, WRITE IT DOWN AGAIN!!!

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    So heres what it looks like now, torn almost all the way down waiting on the rest of my conversion parts to come in hopefully tomorrow. I've gotta say it looks weird with no front end, no gas tank, and no subframe I've got a fairly large list of parts I'm gonna be trying to buy for this thing as soon as I know the rest of my parts are here. These parts include new clutch kit, kickstarter shaft seal, long chain for the extended swingarm, Boyesen reeds, clutch cable, Seat cover for whatever that seat is I'm getting with the subframe, water cooled 250R front fender to go on the new tripple clamps, wheels and tires, and an assortment of rubber bushings and other bolts and minor neccessities I will be needing. I'm so lucky I found this kit, as there is no way even with the shop full of tools I have at my disposal could I have made the entire thing from scratch. I just hope I can get everything together, and make it hold together long enough for it to dominate at the drag strip at TF05.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chassisfront.jpg   chassisrear.jpg   chassisleft.jpg   chassisright.jpg  

--
    Heck Yeah man!!!!! She's gonna be sweet!!!

'85 350X-The Flagship
    Speedo, Chrome HL Guard, Rubber Steps
    DG Chrome Power, 6-Pack Rack, White Bros Skidplate, 400ex Carb

'85 250ES Big Red-Working in Style
    Many Hondaline & Aftermarket Add-ons
    '84 250R-Old School Racer Project
    Too many Accessories to List
    '82 200E Big Red-The Tractor
    Rubber Steps, Tripmeter
    '85 250SX-Rider
    Various Accessories

'13 CBR250R & '05 CBR600F4i-Road Toys
    Yoshi Slip-Ons & Fender Eliminators

--
    I just read the magazine article.

I love the custom work some people have done for this conversion But I have to say scoring an actual Laeger conversion kit is out of this world. Nice Score!!!
    Wikipedia "All Terrain Vehicle" Definition excerpt
    Other smaller or lesser known companies, such as Tiger ATV, Franks, and Cagiva, produced racing three wheelers, but in much smaller numbers. Few of these machines are known to exist today and are highly sought by collectors.

Check out my Tiger 3 wheeler Webpage..my quest for a TIGER MUSEUM started 2004 http://sites.google.com/site/tigerrotax/home

Rides: TIGER Factory line up, Tricky Dicks Cagiva 200, 4- Franks 3 and 4 Wheelers

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangecnty250r
    I just read the magazine article.

I love the custom work some people have done for this conversion But I have to say scoring an actual Laeger conversion kit is out of this world. Nice Score!!!

Absolutely, for me that was the most exciting part. I just hope that my swingarm, and subframe are not in terrible shape and that I will be able to use them without much hassle. Although after getting some of these parts like the front forks I'm expecting the worst

Lots_Of_Nothing is offline So bombed at TF I needed both hands to hold my beer Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    Cool Bill.. Definatly looks like a metal cage surrounding a motor when you take the front + rear off .

Maybe you should throw some inverted forks on it while your getting new forks?

Oh.. durr.. wait.. You have cr500 forks, You have a complete cr500... Ahhh.. haha.

Atleast the guy sent the stuff.. Too bad some of its ****,, But its better then nothing eh? Maybe that explains his crappy auction pictures, the angle of the pics for the frontend were terrible.. Go figure
    Give me no lip and I tell you no lie.

-TF 05' , And cant wait till 06!

--
    sound slike a cool deal billy. but dont ya think your gettin in over your head? what happened to the 500x???
    1985 Honda 350X - a lot of performance stuff, everything but a cam, hope to get one soon
    1984 Honda 200ES
    198? Yamaha YT60 Tri-Zinger
    TrikeFest '04 & '07 Survivor

--
    Well I have been contemplating this cr 500 conversion far a while now. I have now found an 89 cr500 that runs great other than the kick starter slipping. It is my cousins and he wants 700 for it. I don't know what I am going to do but I am seriously thinking about it. I want to try to get him to trade me for my 302, tranny, 9 inch rear end, and fuel injection kit for the 5.0. I was going to use the stuff in my ranger but I think I may just have to part with it to get a ATC 500!

--
    Blog Entries
    I'm still waiting on 2 of the main parts, the swingarm and the subframe, but atleast I've got some of the stuff to get started with. I'm actually thinking about going with a 250R front fork setup because of how these clamps are bent...and because of weight. That might be a change later on down the road though.

I could finish the 500X if I wanted to, theres not that much left to do on it, I'm just at the end of my paitence with it right now and will have to wait a couple months till they recover before I start working on it again

More updates tomorrow if/when I receive more parts.

--
    Blog Entries
    No more parts today...Waiting impaitently for the rest of it to come in.

--
    FINALLY! Something interesting to read!
    2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

toyota200x is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Wow that it crazy that you found one of those kits. Hope you get your parts and they are not in bad shape.
    Owner of
    '98 klx 300r
    '85 250sx
    '82 185s

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaATC
    I just hope I can get everything together, and make it hold together long enough for it to dominate at the drag strip at TF05.

Them's big words buddy.
    2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //