//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 97 Polaris Sportsman 400L Maintenance?

--

97 Polaris Sportsman 400L Maintenance?

I'm doing some basic maintenance to my parents 1997 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4. It has a new spark plug, I have greased all the zerk fittings I could find (12) And plan on changing any of the fluids that need it. Here are my main questions.

Does this thing have any type of oil filter that needs replacing? Will 10w30 be fine to use here in Texas?

Do I need to change any gear oil?

Should I replace the coolant? It looks clean and green, but a little low. If it needs changin do I do a 50/50 blend like with a car?

Anything else that needs looking into other than the chains and air filters? All the bearings look good.

I wish I had a manual with this thing, but if any of ya'll could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

wanta86r is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    the machine has no oil filter because its a two stroke and its oil injected. The fill cap for the oil injection is on the front of the machine. do not use 10w 30 for anything. I would reccommend getting some oil from your local polaris dealer. It sounds like you dont know much about this machine, so my advise is to also pick up a manual

--
    It sounds like you dont know much about this machine, so my advice is to also pick up a manual.
    Yes, and quickly ..........
    J. Jonny D, --- Quad - Trike relations committee Chairman and all around swell guy.

Rides: '91 Warrior, '87 TW200, 1984 YTM225DX, 1984 ATC125M, '71 CL350 Scrambler

--
    Yes I don't know much about it (it was bought used)and I ordered a manual yesterday. I do know it's a 2 stroke and have been filling the injector tank with 2 stroke oil. I was mainly concerned about the silver dipstick on the right side behind the pullstart. Tranny oil goes in there right? My only other experience with a 2 stroke in my Tri-moto, and it takes 10w30 in the tranny, or so I've read advised here.

Oh and there is an inline filter like a fuel filter going to the injector pump.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //