//ArrowChat Code

Thread: fourtrax 300 4x4 problems starting

--

fourtrax 300 4x4 problems starting

my 93 fourtrax 300 4x4 has been having problems lately. it will not start, except once in a while. i choke/new gas/ new plug/ etc, but it just wont start. i put a new plug in it, and it started right up. i went back today and it does the same thing. plug looks ok, brownish but new. i pulled it out and cranked it w the plug on the wire, i didnt see a spark , but when i grabbed the plug wire it shocked me, so its getting some spark. it was running fine, but for about a year its been like this. it was rebuilt and thats it. anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by monster 84r; 08-17-2005 at 01:15 AM.

--
    ok today i went back out and tried to start it again. it starts for a second then quits. by the time you let off of the start button its gone. i pulled the plug, and its dry and black. can anyone shed some light on this? i really need some help on this one, any suggestions appreciated! oh would worn rings or warped anything cause this?

wheelie king is offline Aficionado of white surprise sauces. Arm chair racerRoostin Away
    --
    It sounds like a fuel/air/timing problem. Do a search on the forums for plug coloring and stuff like that. This was covered in detail a couple months back....i.e. what the condition of the plug means (rich/lean, etc) Good luck.
    1986 Honda ATC 200 S

Some quads and a S x S

-------------
    Supporter of Uncle Rico's football camp. Since 1982.

If you are reading this in English, thank a U.S. Military VET. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

--
    thats what i thought, but i just need to get another ? outa the way: if some one rode this atv hard for a day or two, would it cause it to do this? can fuel/timing etc be messed up by riding it hard? thanx

--
    my dad's got a 97 300, and i just got it going after sitting for about 5 years. I would bet that the carb needs a good cleaning, his would start when choked and run for a little while, plug looked like yours,,,took the carb apart and about everything was plugged up, sprayed it down with brake parts cleaner, and a little blowing, and as good as new (the quad has less than 100 miles on it anyway),,,make sure the air filter is good too, and check for air leaks when you get it going too. hope this helps.
    36 yo, Apple geek, married with kids, conservative. If you are a GUN OWNER and not a member of the NRA, SHAME ON YOU! JOIN!

Gun control is not about guns, it's about CONTROL!

My Rags
    85 ATC70,85 ATC70,85 ATC110,83 ATC185S,85 ATC250ES,02 400EX,04 Polaris ATP 500
    Past rags:2000 Scrambler 400, 86 350X, 86 250R, 84 200S, 97 ATK260LQ

--
    and make sure the plug is correct too. NGK DPR8EA-9.
    36 yo, Apple geek, married with kids, conservative. If you are a GUN OWNER and not a member of the NRA, SHAME ON YOU! JOIN!

Gun control is not about guns, it's about CONTROL!

My Rags
    85 ATC70,85 ATC70,85 ATC110,83 ATC185S,85 ATC250ES,02 400EX,04 Polaris ATP 500
    Past rags:2000 Scrambler 400, 86 350X, 86 250R, 84 200S, 97 ATK260LQ

--
    plugs good, its probly a short or somethin..... i hate electrical problems

--
    Quote Originally Posted by monster 84r
    plugs good, its probly a short or somethin..... i hate electrical problems
    my moms '98 trx200 does the same thing, the plugs always always look good but it seems like everytime she wants to ride it (only a few times ever couple of months) we have to throw new plugs at it

not just nagging on you, but you can always tell who the people who are uneducated about electical systems are. "if it dosnt work, it must be a short" thats one of my biggest pet peives

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT! AND NEVER LOOK BACK, THEY ARE TOO FAR BEHIND TO SEE!!

Id rather have a sister in a WHORE HOUSE than a brother in a FORD!

--
    i know it has to be something like that, because last year i soldered new connections to the wiring harness, and put a new cdi on the bike. i sanded the connections and grounds and it ran perfect. im not a total idiot when it comes to wiring.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //