//ArrowChat Code
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Atc 4 Me

--
    I would go again sure. I feel it would be a better event if held at another racing facility. The Ashthabula race track is a one liner for sure!

One of the more popular off-road sites would be nicer in my opinion.

When I attended the event I wanted to bring a 3 wheeler! They said no, quads only....... Maybe next time ??

tkm is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --
    Not sure if this has been asked or not, but which did you enjoy racing better...ATCs or Quads?

Also, which do you think was ultimately faster on certain courses (drag racing excluded)? I haven't looked at track times for ATCs in a long time.

Thanks for posting...this thread has brought back a lot of memories from my childhood.

Old 179 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Hey Mike,

Found info on 81 Baja 1000 in 2-82 issue. (being there was questionable answer). Your team was #83 in which your team started between the two Honda entries #82 @ #84. Team #81 was Rick Younger, Paul Williams and Suzuki MX star, Rocket Rex Staten. They lead untill Rex hurt his shoulder in a high speed get off, somewhere before Mikes Sky Ranch.
    Your team had some bad luck. High speed get offs,engine seized and a flat near the end. (Was only 4 min behind with 50 miles to go). It was mention that your stage, you gain an hour on everyone after the top end was redone!
    Five time world champion Roger DeCoster was scheduled as the first rider in the 1980 Baja 1000. An urgent test session in Japan forced him to be replaced. I hope I cleared this answer to that question.

--
    tkm,
    I have always liked the way 3 wheelers handle MUCH more than quads! My 1986 Suzuki LT250 with Briggs Built A-arms and works performance shocks all around was the best handling Quad......... period.

Even in drag racing a 3 wheeler will out run ANY quad with equal displacement, and even some that have larger engines!

Old 179,

It's nice that you have all of the old literature to refer to on details....... I have known Rex Staten for many years and I don't ever recall him riding for Suzuki !!

After this many years things are forgotten.

Mike

Old 179 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Mike,

Suzuki was mention in the article. He could have rode for others and wrong info given to the writer of the article! We don't want to rewrite our history. Thanks

--
    this is my first post on this thread, have read the whole thing and loved every bit of it. apperently I may be the only one that has made the connection but we have a few of your old action pics on this web page from 1983. 3&4 wheeling magazine did an article on factory racers and the way their machines were set up back in the day.
    Last edited by ATCWRENCH; 01-09-2006 at 12:55 PM.
    1985 KXT 250
    84 KX cylinder
    sprock racing head
    +2" Miltech swingarm
    frame mounted Rad

1983 250R
    DG head
    290cc Big Bore
    CT pipe
    85R front end
    +1" Miltech swingarm
    2+2 axle NOS NASA
    18x10x9 Hoosiers

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    That if fricken awsome dude.Love the artical.

breastman569 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    saw this poster over at 3wheeler.org and was wondering if you rember taking this picture?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coeposter.jpg  

--
    Mike, nice to hear from you! I'd read dirtwheels magazine in high school and wanted to ride like you guys so bad! I was able to race my three wheeler in the desert in 1986 but after that swithched to quads. How did you like desert racing as opposed to motocross? Did you ever race with Fred Wing? He hauled ass in the desert if I remember correctly. Thanks Mike!
    own:
    1986 250R- ported polished, carb mods, Esr atc-5 pipe and silencer

1986 250R- mild porting, carb mods (Clean!)

1985 350X- all stock (super clean!!)

1985 350x- desert project in the works

1986 250sx- Mostly stock

1985 200x- (pretty clean mostly stock)

1985 Yamaha tri zinger 60

--
    breastman569,

Yes, I remember the photo shoot that was used to make the poster. I/we at Honda were very fortunate to be also used as "talent" for TV commercials as well.

Dovesprings20R,

Fred Wing was a Honda employee that was very involved in the early stages of ATC racing. He was an excellent rider and seemed to really enjoy his involvement with the team. He teamed with Wes Arnold and Tom Gildea at some of the early SCORE off-road races.

I was never on the same team with him. His involvement diminished gradually as the team expanded with riders that were racing for a living. Fred still had to work his normal 9-5 job at Honda and then he could work on his racing equipment.

Much harder to do and still be competitive.

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    That poster is the ****.Why would some idiot use duct tape to hold it up?

Yamahammer490 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Mike,

This thread has been fascinating. I was a big fan of 3 wheelers back in the 80s, though I always cheered for the 3B guys. (Loved the yellow brand...)

I posted a bunch of my drawings from my old high school sketch book in another thread but didn't realize it was a picture of you. I hope you enjoy it and that I did it justice.

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small250r-1.jpg  
    CURRENT RIDES:
    1988 Tri-Z 350 Twin
    1985 1/2 Tri-Z
    1984 IT490

IMPORTANT: Those of you with an overwhelming fear of
    the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft.

--
    Yama490,

Nice drawing! I like Yamahas too. Did you know that a 490 mill will almost "bolt in" to one of your Tri Z's?
    A custom pipe would need to be made, but I have seen it done and it is cool.....

They don't seem to vibrate that bad either.

Mike

--
    That would be one kick ass Tri Z.

Yardbird is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Nice drawing!
    1985 ATC350X (Original owner for 21 years and counting!)
    1986 ATC500R W.I.P.
    myspace.com/duner67
    [

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //