//ArrowChat Code
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Atc 4 Me

--
    mike welcome to the board

do you remeber a guy named Mac Mohr? he was a privateer that used to race the pro class on a 200x. he was from southeast pennsylvania. i bought some old race parts from him. he told stories about how he would give curtis sparks and them guys a run for there money. he said at one national he raced the 250 pro class and got 5th or 7th i think. he ran alot in the mid 80's

after the ban he put the 85 200x motor in a 1988 250r chassy. the motor was a TC with the dual plug head with 13 to 1 compression big time cam. the thing was so camed up it had harldly any low end grunt you had to keep it tapped flat out or nothing like the new 250 mx bikes. i bought the quad from the guy he sold it to. that thing would hang no problem hanging with mild trx's and banshees.
    JASON LISKEY

1985 atc 250r ---- finsh line axle,.fmf exhaust and rictor privateer silencer, prm grab bar.
    2008 KTM 525xc quad ----- HMF exhaust, HRE chromoly stem,
    86 trx 250r --- with after market chromoly frame and everything else done to it
    01 400ex --- with 86 trx 250r motor
    87 250x + 93 300ex both 350x powered
    2 = 86 atc 350x's
    86 atc 250r
    83 atc 185s --- from retired guy not ridden since 87
    Bandito framed 110 with 85 motor and yellow us90 fenders + tank

--
    that sounds like one bad ass 200x motor!!!! my x could use one some of that guys magic. lol
    83 250R
    91 CR125R

--
    jason85atc250r,

I raced at many many different tracks and locations. I don't recall a Mac Mohr, but it sounds as though he may have been a local hot shoe there in Pennsylvania.

I am originally from Pennsylvania myself. I was born and lived there during my youth. I moved to California with my family in 1967. (Yea, I'm old!)

I lived and grew up in a Pittsburgh suburb, Allison Park.

GO STEELERS!! I have always been and will always be a Steelers fan!

Mike

mad_max is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Mike,

When desert racing, which was worse: flat tire or running out of gas?

What did you like the most and the least about desert racing?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by CoeShow
    jason85atc250r,

I raced at many many different tracks and locations. I don't recall a Mac Mohr, but it sounds as though he may have been a local hot shoe there in Pennsylvania.

I am originally from Pennsylvania myself. I was born and lived there during my youth. I moved to California with my family in 1967. (Yea, I'm old!)

I lived and grew up in a Pittsburgh suburb, Allison Park.

GO STEELERS!! I have always been and will always be a Steelers fan!

Mike

he told me stories of running the nationals. i remember telling about Lorreta lynn ranch racing there and hanging with the factory 200x guys.

i just figured you mite remember him

he would run that 200x quad at the local mx races at the pennslyvania farm show biulding in the late 80's and win in the vet class agianst the 250,s

he grafted a blaster front end on a 86 200x around 1991 when i started racing and would allways give me fits it was faster them the old one and got better traction due to short frame. they have a 0 to 230 air colled class in district 6 (eastern pa) so thats why he made it.

luckly he only came out to the tracks that paid cash so i was able to win some races. in 1994 i made a 88 quadracer with a blaster engine in it. that helped some also.
    JASON LISKEY

1985 atc 250r ---- finsh line axle,.fmf exhaust and rictor privateer silencer, prm grab bar.
    2008 KTM 525xc quad ----- HMF exhaust, HRE chromoly stem,
    86 trx 250r --- with after market chromoly frame and everything else done to it
    01 400ex --- with 86 trx 250r motor
    87 250x + 93 300ex both 350x powered
    2 = 86 atc 350x's
    86 atc 250r
    83 atc 185s --- from retired guy not ridden since 87
    Bandito framed 110 with 85 motor and yellow us90 fenders + tank

--
    mad_max,

Desert racing......... What an experience! Baja............. Majestic and scenic!

Running out of gas would most certainly be worse than a flat tire!!

I NEVER ran out of gas in any race. Flat tires were a normal occurance, but I personally had very few.

There isn't really "one" thing I liked best about desert racing. There are so many things that make this racing avenue exciting!

I can say that eating all the "DUST" from having to start behind all of the race vehicles in the earlier SCORE off-road races was a clear bummer, and the thing I disliked the most.

After we proved that we were faster than ALL of the car classes, SCORE began starting us after the bikes and AHEAD of the cars where we belonged. The
    ATC250R was such a competant desert weapon that we consistantly passed and finished ahead of almost ALL of the bikes by the end of the races.

In the 1984 Baja 1000, my team finished 4th OVERALL!! The only teams that finished ahead of us were 3 "open class" (500cc+) bike teams that started at the very front of the field. We were not quite as fast as those teams, but we still caught and passed all of the 250cc and 125cc bikes, and had faster times than ALL of the truck and buggy classes!!

Quads still can't match the 3 wheelers speed and prowess even with the new
    450cc versions now available.

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    3 Wheelers rule still.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mike, what did your team (and others too) do to prepare for the several hundred mile long desert races? I mean rider wise, did you guys make sure you ate or didn't eat certain foods before the race, got a right amount of sleep, took vitamin supplements, ect? I'm sure the machines had a long checklist on them also...could you go into detail on that a little bit also?

--
    HondaATC,

All of the Honda Team ATC riders were involved in some form of physical training and we all ate a nutritious intake of food. Granted, the selection of good food in Mexico was slim to non-existant then, and may still be today.

Thats why we took a lot of food with us. I used to ride many hours EVERY day when I was racing. I was never bored and to this day I still love to ride!

My typical day would start off with a light breakfast and then some form of cardiovascular exercise. I used to put in many miles on my bicycles and hours on a rowing machine I used to have, and I would swim several times a week as well in a nearby Olympic size pool.

Then it was out riding, like I said EVERY day!. A lot of days after riding I would come home and unload my 3 wheeler and load up my jet-ski and go ride and goof off with it in the afternoon. Jet skiing is also a good work out! Since I rode so much, the long desert races were never a problem as far as stamina.

I tried a few different diets and such, and a few supplements as well, but I could never tell if they had any effect or benefit. I was fortunate that one of the local Pros was part owner of a healthier food chain called the Soup Plantation. Do they have those where you live? Well I would have a huge dinner most every night always with a giant mixed salad. I was always hungry in those days!

I know that everyone is different. When you are racing out there, adrenaline will also keep you going!

Our desert bikes were gone over with a fine tooth comb! Our mechanics and riders would put in many hours prepping the bikes making sure the skid plates stayed on. The skid plates and their retention areas were always extra reinforced so that they would not fail. The engines were also built for reliability, so most times stock components were used. You can't win unless you finish right?

I hope that answers some of your questions

Good luck and ride safe.

Mike

mad_max is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Mike,

Speaking of Baja, I saw an interview with an off-road racer (Ivan Stewart as I recall) talking about instances of locals setting obstacles or along the course in an attempt to make the racers crash. Did you ever hear of this happening?

--
    Mike, do you remember the race in the pictures on the following post? Thanks goes out to 250sxwheeliepop for posting them!

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=44313
    1986 Tecate
    1984 Tecate
    1985 Tri-Z
    1986 ATC350X
    1985 ATC250R (2)
    1985 ATC125M (2)
    1982 ATC70 - Original Owner

175 TriMoto Frame with Pro-Tec Rear Suspension

3-Wheelin' since '82

--
    mad_max,

We called these obstacles "Mexican speed bumps". Yes, I have seen many and unfortunately been caught in one during the 1986 Baja 1000. I crashed hard and received a concussion, not being able to quite finish my section.

Some of the Mexicans are quite unhappy with off-road races running through their property and I don't blame them for that. I do feel that the traps they build are very dangerous and can even be fatal!

I never go to Baja anymore. My last race there was in 1987. I have known many other racers that have had their lives threatened by Mexican locals so to me it's a "no brainer" to stay the heck away fom there.......

Jeb,

I do remember that race quite well! During the practice and qualifiers the previous day, I think I was one of, if not the fastest rider at the track. That night and into the next morning it rained, hard at times, and the track became a quagmier.

We "HAD" to run some form of Ohtsu tire on our 3 wheelers, and the japanese tire guys had nothing for the damp conditions. Hoosier was well represented and had a tire and compound specifically for the wet conditions. This Hoosier tire hooked up so well even in the mud that the guys running them could wheelie out of the corners!

We (anybody running tires other than the wet weather Hoosiers) were doomed!
    I think all of the Team Honda riders were nearly lapped at that race! If Honda management would have just let us run the tires that would work, I would have most likely won that race. There were even some local expert riders that beat us that day!

I lost too many races during the 1985 season because we HAD to run the Ohtsu tires no matter what!
    Very poor management decision.........

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you rode the wheels off of whatever you could find Mike! Thats what it takes though. Did you ever experience anything problematic on the 250R during your racing career that wasn't just normal things that wear out? Any kind of structural breakage to the frame, or other parts? Do you recall if someone ever made an aftermarket frame for the late model 250R's? I would guess not since the geometry and setup on them was so good from the factory but I figured I would ask.

Billy

--
    Quote Originally Posted by CoeShow
    Granted, the selection of good food in Mexico was slim to non-existant then, and may still be today.
    What??? A few fish tacos and a cold one or three is the breakfast, lunch and dinner of champions and repeated running to, sitting down, standing up and sitting down on the porcelin throne can be quite a work out in itself!
    Current Ride (Purchased new in Oct. 84) - 1985 Honda ATC 250R w/ ESR 310cc big bore kit
    Wife's Ride - 2009 Polaris RZR 800
    Kid's Rides - 2009 Yamaha Raptor 700, 2008 Yamaha Raptor 250
    Former Rides - 1975 Honda XR 75, 1979 Yamaha IT 175, 1978 Honda ATC 90, 1980 Honda ATC 110

got sand?

ATCT is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Wow! Mike Coe! My favorite rider when I was a teen. Amazing. That's like having Hendrix show up on a guitar web site, except I doubt his memory would be nearly as good.

Thanks for all the great stories. Your enthusiasm is much appreciated and definitely infectious (I now wish I could go riding...stupid slow restoration...haha.)

Tom

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //