//ArrowChat Code
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Atc 4 Me

--
    I don't want to be too critical. There were a number of fine eateries in Mexico. But lets face it, when you are racing for a living, Shellfish and beer will only go so far!

I never missed an opportunity AFTER the races to eat like that, but during prerunning and during the race you had to eat more nutritious grub.

I used to eat a lot of Grape Nuts cereal down there. Not only with milk in the morning, but like trail mix during the day. Curtis Sparks and I used to call it GRAVEL. " Hey Sparks, want some GRAVEL?" "Sure, I'd love some"........

--
    Hey Mike- I remember reading all about you guys back in the day,and I am glad to see you revistitng your past with all of us! I have read all the thread and have found it to be very interesting! What is your take on trikes to this day,what kind of future do you see in the world of the 3-wheeler? I have been riding trikes since the early 70's,and basically they are all i've ever known and enjoyed.Do you ever see an uprising in ATC's or a downfall? And what do you think of all these guy's restoring there trikes to there former glory? And lastly,there are alot of young fella's on here now,do you have any suggestions for them,and how about the older guy's? Thanks in advance!!
    www.muddogs.org - My New Website

MDR Racing

Trikefest '06 '07 '08 '09 Survivor !!!!
    LONG LIVE SANCHEZ RACING

--
    sandpuppi101,

My take on 3 wheelers has always been the same. They are still the funnest of ANY ATV ever made, no comparison.

The future may not be so grand because like anything that hasn't been in production for 20+ years, parts become harder and harder to find.

I don't forsee any real "uprising" in three wheelers simply because I'm certain that many are scrapped out and/or totaled in accidents, attrition for parts and what not every year. So, the numbers will continue to decline as time goes on.

I think that anybody restoring their trike is most likely having fun and that is important. Hopefully they are doing restorations so that they can RIDE their trike, not turning it into a garage queen!

As far as suggestions for young and old, Just please be be smart! Don't drink and ride, ride double, all of the things that most already know NOT to do, but some still do anyway.

Good luck and be safe!

mad_max is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Mike,

I was wondering if Team Honda used any stock 3wheelers as pit bikes or race support vehicles?

Also, way back in the thread you mentioned that the 350X never was really a factor in ATC racing. I was wondering if you knew why Honda came out with a 350X?

Thanks
    Max
    Last edited by mad_max; 12-18-2005 at 02:44 AM.

--
    mad_max,

We used anything available for pit support, we even modified a Civic station wagon for pits. The wagon never worked out too well because after it was loaded up it was really light in the front............. not good for front wheel drive!! It got stuck easy!!

As far as stock 3 wheelers, our pre-runners were mostly all stock, and we would sometimes canibalize them if needed during a race.

As far as the 350X, while it was never raced to any success, the 3 wheel racing was over before the 350 was on the market for any length of time.

I believe I mentioned this before, but all of the 4 strokes had to run with equal displacement 2 strokes. I don't recall if the AMA's "double displacement" rule for 4 strokes was implemented at this time, but I believe it was.

Anyone racing a 4 stroke was at an immediate disadvantage back then. Thats why I never felt that Honda or any one else was doing the 200X (or 350X) any justice when having to compete against equal displacement 2 strokes.

The reality is that Curtis Sparks and all others racing 200X's should have been racing aginst 100's!! Even the 125 class would have been DOMINATED by the
    200X!!

The problem for the 350X would have been no class to race in.

The reason Honda made the 350X was simple. Honda has a large market research department. The buying public made it clear even back then that they wanted a PERFORMANCE SPORT ORIENTED 4 STROKE 3 WHEELER!! Just like the popular 200X, only bigger and better. Honda listened and the 350X was born.

The Honda 3 wheel race team was under the watch of marketing as well. The marketing department had already shown that people were going to purchase 3 wheelers REGARDLESS of how the race team was doing!!

Unlike auto's and motorcycles where there is a distinct link (What wins on Sunday sells on Monday) The ATV racing effort was doomed from a sales perspective. The Honda ATC Race Teams budget came directly from the sales department. ALL of the motorcycle race teams had a seperate budget for their efforts. Since ATV sales were not influenced by racing them, the writing was already on the wall.

I feel that is the reason ATV manufacturers will never back an ATV racing program in any fashion near how they support motorcycle racing. Dirt bikes or crotch rockets! There is also little interest in ATV racing as a spectator sport.

While there is some interest, I don't feel it will ever come near the level of interest currently enjoyed by SuperCross and /or Roadracing bikes.

Lets face it, ATV's ARE supposed to be for recreation right?? That is their intended purpose. Hell, I think lawnmower racing gets more airtime than ATV racing!

Happy Holidays!

Mike

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    CoeShow can you try to get Curtis Sparks to join this website?I was just wondering because you know him.

--
    Howdy,

I had not seen that thread or the pictures here on this site. Thanks for posting them here for me to see..........

E-Dog,

I have not talked with Curtis for some time. I actually tried today, but he was not available. I know that he most likely won't have time for much of any stuff like this for some time. I know the reasons, but don't feel it is my place to discuss them here first, sorry. His presence on this site would be very cool.

I did speak with Tommy Gaian today! I will try and get him to reply. He was/is an awesome rider, and he is very knowledgeable on 3 wheelers and ATV's, especially the 200X. He told me that he has been on the site and has read some of the stuff so, it's time for him to chime in, wouldn't you agree??

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by CoeShow
    Howdy,

I had not seen that thread or the pictures here on this site. Thanks for posting them here for me to see..........

I did speak with Tommy Gaian today! I will try and get him to reply. He was/is an awesome rider, and he is very knowledgeable on 3 wheelers and ATV's, especially the 200X. He told me that he has been on the site and has read some of the stuff so, it's time for him to chime in, wouldn't you agree??
    Mike, I have more pictures / info and will Gladly add them soon. I am sure I have a bunch of Tommy Gaian also. Maybe if I make a thread or a Web page for just his pics and info, then he might be inclined to chime in. Getting all the Ols School riders on this site is VERY cool!!

Howdy

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Mike that would be very very cool if you could get Tommy recruited to come onto the site. I know one member, , has talked to him about it before and shared some of his pictures (More then likely how Tommy had seen the site). I'm just really glad that guys like you and Dean Kirsten have found the site, and enjoy it as much as the other members. Merry Christmas.

mad_max is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Mike,

You rock!

Thanks for all the great information. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I called Curtis Sparks Racing yesterday.I tryed to get ahold of him.He wasn't there,he was off for the day.I talked to this other guy that works there.He said he doesn't work with that stuff anymore.I will try getting ahold of him some other time.

HaggLE is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Mike, did you ever have anything to do with aussie trike racers? I vaguely remember my father talking about aussies going over to the US to race against you guys, my father was a trike racer back in the day.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mike, near the beginning of this thread you mentioned your brother made a twin cylinder CR500 engine. Could you tell us some more about that?

--
    Hello,

I have yet to speak here, but I was wondering if you (Mike) ever remember a Baja racer named Keith Callen, or his brother Jimmy Callen? They are both my uncles, and raced in the Bajas and even some local MX events. Infact The desert racer 250R that "Mad Max" posted earlier is my uncle's old race bike from 1986. He also raced a YZ490 trike in an earlier Baja, but after passing Dean Sundahl on the asphault, he was pushed off the road by Mickey Thompson and into a canyon totalling his trike.

I'll have to dig out some of those pictures.
    1975 ATC90 for sale
    1985 ATC250R
    2 X 2004 YFZ 450's
    2006 Yamaha Rhino

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //