//ArrowChat Code
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Atc 4 Me

--
    HaggLE,

I don't recall ever racing anyone that came from Australia specifically to race 3wheelers. Not that they didn't come over, I just don't remember any talk of such a crew or anything.
    I know that Dean Sundahl WENT to Australia and raced over there for awhile.

HondaATC,
    It wasn't a twin cylinder, but actually 2 CR500's joined at the crankshaft with the cranks phased 180 degrees apart. The right side engine was basically hollow other than the kick start mechanism, while the left side engine was complete.

He installed it into an almost stock Banshee frame and had some hand built pipes made for it. I never rode it, but was there when it first ran! I was later informed it ROCKED in the sand dunes and at competition hill!!!

It was amazingly not hard to start, and was quite a sleeper! The only real giveaway was the 10"+ over swingarm.

Merriman,

Yes, I know both of your Uncles! They were/are excellent ATC riders/racers! Is Callen Campers still in business?? I moved away from El Cajon a dozen years ago.
    When you see them next, tell them I said "HI".

--
    Coe, how fair of a comparsion were the 85 Tecate and the 85 250R race trikes on the track? Did the R just flatout rule or was the Tecate always on your heals. I ask because the Tecate was undersuspened compared to the R and stock for stock just couldn't compare on a rough track.

James
    My Feedback 85 TECATE 500 08 Honda 450R

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Man thats an insane sounding engine. I've seen pictures before on the internet of something similiar to that done up by a company called "Trick Racing". The only thing is it was just modded cases with cylinders on them. It wasn't an assembled motor or anything. Heres a link to it: http://www.trickracing1.com/The%20Fi...%201000cc.html

--
    BigGreenMachine,

In most instances the Kawasaki's were a bit faster. Honda's had a better overall powerband IMHO. The Kawi's seemed to be "peaky" like a 125 when built to make top power.

Another problem as you alluded to was that the geometry and suspension was not on par with the Honda's. On flat tracks and off-road tracks that were tight, the Kawi's could hold their own. But on tracks that were rough, had many big jumps and had higher speeds the Honda's were superior. And because the Honda's had a wider powerband and didn't vibrate at all, they didn't wear you out during the race.

Plus it seemed that the Kawi's had reliability issues too. I know Jimmy White and others dropped out of races with engine/ignition troubles. I heard that the cases were prone to "leak" causing seizures, and that the ignitions were problematic.

The faster and rougher the track, the more I liked it. (like Loretta Lynns and Colorado Springs) It was killing me that every year the trikes had longer suspension, but the tracks kept getting flatter and flatter..........

There must have been many racers that smoked cigarettes and complained that the tracks were too rough and the motos were too long !!

I've always felt that flat track racing takes much less skill AND physical conditioning to be competitive, and that a faster machine is of more importance for flat track racing.

The Micky Thompson races unfortunately ended up like that as well. In the end the races were like 5 or 6 laps. When your running sub 30 second lap times, thats not much of a race in my opinion.

Old 179 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Oh-yes!!! Loretta Lynns, Great long starts, the table top, the whoops, oh- yes!!!

HaggLE is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by CoeShow
    I've always felt that flat track racing takes much less skill AND physical conditioning to be competitive, and that a faster machine is of more importance for flat track racing.
    My father had a 200x with a CR125 engine in it for racing flat track (in Australia back about 83 or 84), there were two classes 0-200cc and over 200cc. He use to enter both classes and blitz the unter 200 class and get 2nd or 3rd in the over 200's which were mostly air cooled 250r's (pre dated watercooled ones) but the one that he couldnt beat was a 250r with a cr450 engine which im sure you could understand why (ill let greenhuman explain that trike, he rode it).

My point is that flat track isnt all about horsepower when a 125 is beating worked 250r's. The key here was excellent starts and superior braking and handleing and definately some years of riding skill.

--

Talking Hows it goen Dad?

Hey dad!!!!!!! Well i was just cheken up on your site and it looks like you got a big following!!!!! You definitly earned it!!! i love you and miss ya!!!! hahaha anyways...... i hope i inherited those great riding genes like you have! lol talk to you later

--
    CoeShowGirl,

Oh you got the genes alright!! I put you on your first quad when you were only 4. Do you remember that little Suzuki 50? I can still recall your first "get-off".

You were trying to ride across some bumpy terrain that was too rough for your non-suspended little quad and it bounced you off like a bucking bronco even though you really didn't crash!!

You were a trooper even then. You dusted yourself off, jumped right back on. Only better AND faster!

Like the Gatorade commercial, "It's in you!"

I love you.

Dad

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Did you find any 200X pics Coeshow?

--
    HaggLE,

I don't question that at the local level and/or at smaller racing venues years ago, a better rider on a less powerful machine could beat others on larger and more powerful machines! I used to do the same exact thing at my "local" track. I used to enter my 132cc machine into the "OPEN" class and run right at the front like your dad did.

But at an AMA pro event, that would never happen. I doubt that you would be able to "sneak" the 125 into any other race besides the one designated for the displacement.

E-dog,

I don't have any ATC200 pictures, sorry. I also have no way to scan them and download to this site if I did have some.

--
    mike...dude were like neighbors...just post(mail) them to me. I can post em for ya. Or work something out if you need stuff scanned. I kknow you must have gooood pictures from the 80s...heh

Mike, how was your 132? I have a chance at buying one on a bandito frame. How fast were they? Could they keep up with the 200x?
    Rest in peace Rex Carlson

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Mike let me talk with Howdy and see if we might be able to buy a late Christmas present for you. Would you be interested in that?

--
    firefirefire90 and HondaATC,

I appreciate both of your offers, thank you. My wife is actually "Queen" of this computer. She is planning on purchasing one here in the near future(scanner/printer) so I should have the capability soon.

My last 132 was real good. My brother Sam actually helped design the "Bandito" frame back in the day, and that was the frame I used throughout my modified 90-110 days. I feel a good 132 can stay with a "stock" ATC200X in the sand.

Without suspension though the 200X will start to look real good if the terrain starts to get rough.

Mike

mad_max is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Mike,

Just wanted to mention a nice ride area that your daughter may want to check out in the Tulsa area, its called Appalachia Bay ORV area, its at Lake Keystone just about 10 miles west Sand Springs (which is just west of Tulsa). Take I-244 to US Hwy 412. The highway goes across part of the lake then there is a sign for the Appalachia Bay ORV area turn-off. Its open every day and doesnt cost anything to ride there. Its approximately 600 acres. Has some sand but mostly dirt trails.

--

Sweet news

Hey thanx for mentioning that, my friend actualy just came back from riding there. he said it was totaly awesome hahaha....

-dad

Moms looking for pics of me and abbi riding.... well post some as soon as we find them!!!! love you lots

Coe girlie

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //