//ArrowChat Code
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Atc 4 Me

mad_max is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Mike,

Do you have any plans to get a 3wheeler again and if so which one would you like to have? My apologies if you answered this previously.

Thanks

--
    Mike, I remember you once telling me that you're brother still had a 250R professionaly built by him or something like that. If i remember rightly, it was a 1981 250R? I was just wondering, if your brother would be willing to ever do work on trikes again? To get them to race spec? I am not meaning free or anything, because I want my 81' R to be very much like an old racer(yeah i know) and i need work done. It would be cool if he would do it for pay or as like a side job. Cheers mate.

Nick
    Rest in peace Rex Carlson

--
    firefirefire90,
    It might be easier than you think to get him to do it! He is currently the R&D genius at Alba Action Sports in Poway. Give him a call or swing by the shop and meet him. He is currently developing many systems and engines for current quads and Yamaha's Rhino.

Good luck and ride safe.

--
    Woah i was just there!!! What is his name? Should i tell him you sent me LOL maybe get a discount..lol..Man you got me exicted!

--
    His name is Sam Coe. Feel free to inform him that I steered you his way! He does get very busy at times so I don't advise just "dropping in". Call ahead and ask for him on the phone. You may have to leave a call back number.

Good luck!

--
    so you raced for suzuki....i have a video of the suzuki race circit from 86 or 87 ill have to dig that up and see whos on it.....i do know that gary denton is on it
    80s......185 atc, Yamaha tri-moto 200, 85 200x with tons of work
    90s......89 Suzuki quad racer 250 (raced 250 A class for 6 years, late 90s.. custom framed 250x with long travel shocks and a built 350x motor.... built Honda 110
    00s...... chomeoly framed 350 RX with all the goodies (thanks to my bro)
    2012.....Replaced the 350x motor for a 444cc YZ426
    WWW.HREATV.COM

--
    Mad Max,

I would only want a 85-86 ATC250R. While I enjoyed all of my 3 wheelers immensely, those were my favorite.

SWIGIN,

As with all of the other Suzuki "racers", I had a Factory support deal from Suzuki in 1986. Suzuki formed an official team for one year only in 1987. I was not part of that team. I had been previously hired by Yamaha to campaign the soon to be released "BANSHEE" !!

Yamaha suppported my racing fully through the 1988 season. I may have been the very last fully sponsored ATV racer until recently. I can't say for certain if any of the manufacturers have full factory rides comparable to what I had 20 years ago! Still its better than nothing I suppose.

Its just that now the cost of living and expenses are significantly more. So even if the current salaries were similar to what I was earning way back when, it wouldn't go very far in todays economy.....

crackshot is offline Worthless, would be a vast improvement. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Yo Mike!
    I grew up in Orange County and was a teen during the ATC era.
    We used to ride Glamis, Azusa canyon, Deanza, Hemet (before populated) Diamond Bar (again before populated) and Prado Dam.
    I cried when they closed Riverside!
    Last edited by crackshot; 03-09-2006 at 09:44 AM.
    1980 110
    1982 250R
    1985 200s
    1985 250R
    1985 350X
    Parting out...
    1983 250R
    1984 185s
    PM me for parts

--
    Mike, someone recently discovered a nice 200r flat track racer on the boards. Did you have any experiences with these trikes. Any info you can give would be appreciated. Can you guestimate how many of there things were made? Also were they made by honda or just privatly,,, stuff like that.

I'd also like to hear any more stories from back in the day... I'm sure you got some good ones!

EDIT: I just seen you responded to the post about the 200R... So what in the world is a 200r? a myth? Mike in ftlaud also says he has one. I posted a link in the new 200r thread. Can you confirm this as a 200r? Anyone know where to find some pics of a real one?

I would also like to know what taking weight off the flyweheel does. Does it shorted engine life?
    Last edited by chris200x; 03-10-2006 at 10:59 PM.

--
    chrisr200x,

The ATC200R was a factory only non-production race trike built by Honda to dominate the 200 class. The machine had many foreseeable advancements that may have made it to production if 3 wheelers hadn't suffered their untimely execution. There are some pictures here on the site, look for them from the home page............

Lightening the flywheel will allow your engine to accelerate AND decelerate faster.

I never liked the effect, and actually ran a HEAVIER flywheel in some instances.

Personally, I don't recommend it, but to each his own......

--
    yea I've seen the pics on the mainpage. There just doesn't seem to be too many good pics or info anywere. Thanks for your time.

--
    Mike, I talked to Sam last week and although I am not impressed on how Alba got him to me...i called about 8 times and all the time got put on hold..but I was impressed on how much he still knew about the trikes. Particularly the 1981 R. He started tellin me on bore the carb, port it, 200x front end and everything. Sure opened my eyes. If he has talked to you lately, apologize on my behalf...I have not been able to go down to alba because of school... Cheers

Nick

--
    Hi mike,
    I am a big fan of yours from back in the day, I own Vintage motorsports we are a restoration company for off road bikes and ATVs , checkout the site www.vintagemotorsports.net you will like what you see as far as the vintage 3 wheelers. I am currentley working for the honda collection hall in japan and have restored 13 bikes and ATCs for them so far, I know they dont have any race ATCs at the museam do you know of where any of the original race bikes may have ended up They would love to have some restored for there collection for sure. My buddy Andrew from Md who works with me knows some people you know , his best friend mark hough drives the 2cnd semi for the honda motocross team so thats how we got our in with honda he knows the other driver Tom G very well , and knows your buddy chuck miller , and cliff white , and eric Keho. I have not dealt with too many people from american honda but have become very good friends with many people from japan in R&D and especially Mr IKEDA the GM for the collection hall . they would love to get at least one of their race ATCs on display in japan , you wont beleive all the cool bikes they have there . Its great to talk to you feel free to email me and we can go into more detail on a build for Honda take care
    Mike palmgren

--
    Mike,

As I recall, ALL of the race trikes were sold to Honda employees and their friends at amazing prices. It would be very difficult and/or impossible to say where any of them are now.

ALL of our trikes started as production ATC250R's. We did modify them, but again, most people would never be able to tell. Only the trained eye could see what we did!

There really weren't many physical differences that were readily noticable. If you can find an original HRC short course tank and shrouds for the 1985 and 86 models, your 99% home for a restored moto / short track racer.

Our Desert race trikes had larger than stock tanks that held in the neighborhood of 5 gals. I believe IMS made our large capacity tanks back then. You will also need a much thicker/taller seat. A number of aftermarket suppliers made these taller seats back in the day. E-bay might be your best hope. Maybe some of the current seat makers? Other than those items, we used mostly stock components.

I wish I could say there was more, but there really isn't!

Good luck with your resto projects.

Mike

--
    Thanks mike,
    I just finished an 86 250r for Honda they will have it on display soon at the collection hall , see attached pic, so like you said the actual race bikes looked pretty much stock , so really the only real trick or works bike would be the 200R correct? I would have to ask some of the guys in japan if they know of where they all ended up , i would imaging most of them got crushed etc but you never know they may have stashed some of these bikes somewhere , you would not beleive the warehouse of bikes they have that are not displayed on the main floors , now on the 81 250Rs did the actual race bikes resemble an ( out of the box) bikes also. I love the 86 250r though by far the best bike i ever owned all i did to mine was put a pipe on it and jet it stock tires and all and it never let me down , thanks for all your help
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coe1.JPG   coe2.JPG  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //