//ArrowChat Code
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Atc 4 Me

--
    Quote Originally Posted by driscoll333 View Post
    yes, the veronica beach race is at sckavenegin. i was invited to holland by veronicaTV {bob dejong} that race is crazy.. i hole shoted the first race that 3wheelers were allowed. they had us start with the side hack motorcycles. the side hack guys laughed at us, and didnt want us racing in their moto. they said we were slow and would get in their way. me sundahl and fox kicked their ass'. i think there was 300 entries in that single moto!

i'm also from the netherlands.
    and to inform you the veronica beach race is back since 2 years.
    its called the red bull knock out now but they don't alow quads in it these days.

i do have an old pic from back in the day it has banshee's, 250r's and quadzilla's in it.

pretty cool ill try to post it up here.

maybe the name Ton Maessen brings up some memories or Will van der Laan they are dutch racers from the 80's.

--
    i do have more pictures but they are from the motorcycles this is the only pic i have from the quads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r_strandrace3.jpg  

--
    im from california USA. but i raced in holland twice . schavenigan and amsterdam veladrome stadium indoor. the pic is cool , i loved that race. it sucks they dont let ATVs race anymore...hey COE did u ever race in europe?
    speed kills

--
    Brett,

I was also invited twice but had conflicting schedules. I think Dean Sundahl or Wax or maybe both went over. You would know, once, maybe twice? I don't remember about them, but know I would liked to have gone. I remember the stories I heard from you and others and the Magazine articles made it seem like it was a blast. I had an opportunity in 88 to go too when I was racing a Banshee for Yamaha, but that trip didn't pan out either.......

--
    hey mike, the logistics of those trips were a nightmare , and at the time i woundered if it was worth it. but after it was over, and i was back home in the good ol' USA, it was awsome. and it was one of the highlites of my 3wler days. i dont know if compares to your pikes peek experience though. its funny how we raced baja, parker, mikey thompson ,riverside ,carona ,barona, stadiums,even some speedway. and our funnest races were later in our carriers and un-expected. brett
    speed kills

--
    Brett,

I would say that winning at Pikes Peak was awesome fun! The number of "celebrities" and big time racers that I met and talked to was great. If you ever get an opportunity to even go and watch the event please do so ASAP.

The "greens" are getting closer every year to ending this historic race and the end may soon be near. We went there to race in 1993. I had wanted to race my ATC250R there after winning the AATVA National at nearby Colorado Springs in 1985.

Anyway, I was a wreck on the starting line at Pikes Peak! I had the worst butterflys I EVER had! They were the size of Vultures. It was my most gratifying win as I had wanted to race there for many years and winning the event was very rewarding emotionally for me.

Having my brother Sam with me as my Crew Chief, fabricator, tuner, and well..... my brother, added even more to the win !! THAT was also very gratifying, as he has been involved with Hi-performance ATV's and motorcycles nearly his entie life. He was also an accomplished racer as well, winning a number of titles in his career. I think he was the "King" of Barona Oaks, taking the number one plate there a couple of times before the track was closed down.

Building the winning machine was special for him. He is one of the nations top engine builders and tuners, but NEVER takes the lime light and is very humble. He is currently heavily involved with side-by-side ATV's leading the R&D at Alba Action Sports since the owner there purchased his business a few years back.

He was shining brightly on that July 4th in 1993!! You know, Sam has aways been around lending a big hand in some way throughout my racing career. Hell, Sam IS the reason I started racing 3 wheelers! I owe much of my success to his support through the years.

Winning at Pikes Peak was an excellent way to truly retire "on-top" of the world .

Which race win or Championship are you most fond of?

Mike

--
    thats cool mike, i never met your bro. but ive heard of him several times. last year i bought a rhino from ALBA. i probably walked right by him...i was thinking about doing a trophy-rhino,but never did it. c-ya brett
    speed kills

--
    my biggest ....was the SCORE pionts champion in 84 or 85 (i think?). riverside was big , i got 2nd . but concidering i took major dirt samples there the year or two before. it was all about getting Yamaha on the podium. it was very hard because honda was so dominant. coe, hart, sundahl. u guys were wicked fast.
    speed kills

--
    hey mike i have falloed his thread and have to say you are oen of my heroes form back int he day i rember beign 3 year sold and starting racign my atc 70in 87here localy but my real question is do you ahve any opinions on the terry cable fork kits for the 85-86 r's? and if you can maek ti to trike fest this year i got a real nice r for ya to tool around i would love to be out on the track with a legend!!!! thanks in adance

sincerly, josh a marshall .district 6 #160
    ok here goes, 85 atc70,2 84 atc70's 83 alt50,83 atc110 , 70 us 90 parot green, 85/86 350x garage queen, stock rider 85 350x, project 85 350x 85 250r drag bike, 2 85 250sx's, alt185, , scat tracker?99blaster,85 250r rider,85 250r ice racer project ,93 kx500,99 xr200r, 91 dr250s ,89 lt500 quadzilla,88 lt250quadracer, 88 trx250r race full on race quad,, 01 yamahakodiak400, kawaki kd100,lt50 for my doughters,93 300ex, 230 quadsport, lt185, lt250 quadrunner,84200s, is that enough?

--
    Brapp,

It's nice we can converse here at 3 Wheeler World! I would REALLY like to make it to Trike Fest 2008. Has the date been posted yet? I understand that the event is held in Indiana, usually in June? I will get there one of these days.

--
    Blog Entries

--
    Raffa,

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do to get there this year.

Mike

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoeShow View Post
    Raffa,

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do to get there this year.

Mike
    hey mike.. theres a hotel in that one horse town..pretty close too where its held.. let me know if ya need the info, I'll get it for ya!

--
    Wow! What an awesome thread. I actually came across this website by mistake....nice mistake to make..lol. I read the thread by Dean and now this one. I appreciate both of you sharing your stories. I really miss those days.

Mike, you were definately my favorite rider when I was a kid. Its funny, but I can remember reading about you winning alot, then all the sudden, you didn't. Now it all makes sense! Its amazing how corporate BS was so rampant at that level...I can only imagine it is twice-fold now.

Someone was asking about fenders, I had some Maiers on my 250r that were low profile like that, might look into those...if they still make them.

Someone mentioned Cagivas. I can remember going to the nationals in Boyd, TX and seeing one there. He jumped the start, so they restarted and put him a bike length back. He still got the holeshot. That bike was FAST.

Jeb, sending you a pm, we are practical neighbors.

Scott

--
    Quote Originally Posted by CoeShow View Post
    HondaATC,

The "powervalve" or "ATAC" system if I remember correctly, was a chamber located on the left side of the cylinder. The system did not operate as designed for the CR, but the cylinder was still a giant improvement over the stock ATC cylinder and anything I was getting from Paul Turner at that time.

Like I mentioned in the previous post, Paul "ported" the cylinder and it made LESS power! Steve Carter then reassembled the top end using ATC rings which were chrome against this cylinder which was also chrome plated or nikasil. It self destructed during a National at Liberal Kansas in 1985.

If these cylinders are run "as is" the port timing is very good. They do not need to be modified if the correct pipe is used. This set-up was very fast when I originally used it.

NOS_350X,

I never looked at it like you mentioned, but yes, the ATC200R's rear axle arrangement was very similar to how a motorcycle rear wheel is designed.

But even the motorcycle doesn't have to have the countersprocket located anywhere different. Kawasaki's and Yamaha 3 wheeler engines will interchange with their motorcycle counterparts. In fact, Kawasaki 500 and YZ 490-500 engines use the same motor mount sizes and locations so these engines will "bolt in."

I feel if the 3 wheeler era didn't come to the demise that it did, Honda would have brought this design to market on the 250's. The ATC200R was really a "works" 3 wheeler! No question about it! There were a number of re-designed and improved elements on these trikes that no doubt would have trickled down to the production 3 wheelers in the next year or so "if" they hadn't been banned......

Should this thread be moved to Trikesylvania??
    Coe, awsome thread- it's 4am and I'm still reading. You said with the right pipe the stock atac cylinder is "very fast". What would be a good pipe? I know you have bad blood with pt as you should but it is the best pipe now for the 250r cylinder. I have 1 of those as well as a DG and FMF all with silencers. Also what year cr silencer? stock or aftermarket- does it make a big diff? Did you bypass the atac all together? I'm trying to build a killer woods bike but I also want to be the fastest in an old fashioned field(drag) race. Thanks for this great thread!! I've learned a ton!

Cory

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //