//ArrowChat Code
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: Atc 4 Me

--
    Hi everyone. FYI. I just wanted to say that I stumbled across a newer (Dec. 2015) edition of Dirtwheels magazine that had a picture of me racing at Riverside in 1985. I was actually looking at the new Yamaha YXZ side by side when I stumbled onto the article that was about some Micky Dunlap history. Anyway, the caption to my picture was completely false, claiming that in the early eighties, aftermarket companies were very few and far between and top riders like me relied on factory "works" parts to gain an advantage. I was like WTF?? Could they not even see the decals on my fenders? So I contacted the editor, Cain Smead, to illuminate him about this and shed some light as to what it was REALLY like back then. Evidently there was going to be an additional issue with more ATC history and I offered to give him any info he needed to get it right. All I can say is that the dude didn't seem interested to know or print the truth.

--
    How old is this Cain Smead? Obviously he did not live through the early days of three wheeler racing......
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Wow, I didn't know this thread was active because it is at the top above the regular threads.

Mike, I read your thread and sympathize with what happened to you at Loretta Lynns . . I did think it was kind of funny that you went to the Kawasaki pits after the race instead of the Honda ones though, and was wondering if James Degaine or Bruce Stjernstrom were there at the time.

Both of those guys had a lot of admiration for some of the Honda riders you included . . I remember talking with them at one of the last Mickey Thompson races in Pomona during a break and Bruce said that Dean was giving everyone a riding lesson and then Bruce was making fun of Jimmy a little bit and they both talked about how great Dean was and that they were a little bummed that he was quitting.

I ran part of the Rand D department for Kawasaki and did all the development work on the ATV's including the Tecate's, and Team Green was 50 feet from the section I was in . . I saw James a lot and rode the Perris Raceway GP at his request with Donnie Luce and Jimmy White which we were fortunate enough to win . Honda was there too with a few guys but I don't remember who they were, and was wondering if you knew which guys rode that race . . For some reason, I think one of them was either Dean or Marty.

I saw Bruce Stjernstrom a lot also and enjoyed many beverages with him on many occasions . . He was a bit off the hook after hours, but then I was too, lol.

John Neary is new here and has a thread where he is posting a ton of vintage photos which is very cool . . I unfortunately lost all mine but luckily enough, I was in a few of the ones he posted so now I have something to show the Grandkids . . Man I hate that word.

Anyway, I too have enjoyed your posts immensely and hope things are well with you and that you post a bit more frequently.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by CoeShow View Post
    Hi everyone. FYI. I just wanted to say that I stumbled across a newer (Dec. 2015) edition of Dirtwheels magazine that had a picture of me racing at Riverside in 1985. I was actually looking at the new Yamaha YXZ side by side when I stumbled onto the article that was about some Micky Dunlap history. Anyway, the caption to my picture was completely false, claiming that in the early eighties, aftermarket companies were very few and far between and top riders like me relied on factory "works" parts to gain an advantage. I was like WTF?? Could they not even see the decals on my fenders? So I contacted the editor, Cain Smead, to illuminate him about this and shed some light as to what it was REALLY like back then. Evidently there was going to be an additional issue with more ATC history and I offered to give him any info he needed to get it right. All I can say is that the dude didn't seem interested to know or print the truth.

Cain wasn't the one that wrote the Dirt Wheels articles, it was my stories the best I could remember off my face book page. Yes they changed a few things, some of it wasn't right, but heck not all the stuff that was wrote back in the day were true either. They did the best that could be done with what they had. The whole thing was to show somewhat what it was like back in the day to readers that weren't even born some 30 years ago.

I have seen some of your stories, they were from your view point, but I was told different from what you said from the powers at be that were totally different from what you have said on here. It's just the way it is, not everyone is going to agree with everything said.

--
    Hi, Mickey
    I have no issue with the data concerning your article. That's all your history. I was just mystified about the caption they used regarding the picture they printed of me. I did enjoy reading your story. Some funny stuff in there! I didn't know anything about your Kawasaki dealings. As mentioned, I spoke briefly with Cain Smead. He didn't really seem to care to get it right. I feel if a magazine is going to spend the time to post an article, they could at least get their facts straight. That way folks that weren't there 30 years ago would know how it really was. Sorry, I don't agree that they did the best with what they had. As I said previously, couldn't they even see the decals on my fenders? No aftermarket support? Please...

--
    Barnett468,
    I don't recall at that moment seeing either one of those guys at the end of the woods race at Lorettas. I was pissed. But I did speak to them both on many occasions at other events. John working at Kawasaki? Cool. Him and his brother were both very competitive then. If they didn't have such a power to weight ratio deficit, they would have likely won more races! They were both very big young men. Probably even bigger now. They always had some impressive machinery though.

--
    Hi, Mickey
    I have no issue with the data concerning your article. That's all your history. I was just mystified about the caption they used regarding the picture they printed of me. I did enjoy reading your story. Some funny stuff in there! I didn't know anything about your Kawasaki dealings. As mentioned, I spoke briefly with Cain Smead. He didn't really seem to care to get it right. I feel if a magazine is going to spend the time to post an article, they could at least get their facts straight. That way folks that weren't there 30 years ago would know how it really was. Sorry, I don't agree that they did the best with what they had. As I said previously, couldn't they even see the decals on my fenders? No aftermarket support? Please...
    I spoke to Cain after you did, he cares and I know what he was saying, it's not that there wasn't any aftermarket people, it just wasn't like we have today. Heck most of the time we ran stock shocks because they were better then the aftermarket, today you have so many shock companies that build very good stuff, I think that's what he was saying, never the less he doesn't work there any more.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Barnett468,
    I don't recall at that moment seeing either one of those guys at the end of the woods race at Lorettas. I was pissed. But I did speak to them both on many occasions at other events. John working at Kawasaki? Cool. Him and his brother were both very competitive then. If they didn't have such a power to weight ratio deficit, they would have likely won more races! They were both very big young men. Probably even bigger now. They always had some impressive machinery though.
    Hey Mike;

Thanks very much for the reply, I greatly appreciate it . As far as John Neary working at Kawi goes, I was referring to James Degaine and Bruce Stjernstrom, so perhaps you got the names mixed up . I mentioned that I had worked for Kawi and ran the ATV department in R and D . I was also the main fabricator.

I was also curious if you know which Honda riders rode the Perris Raceway GP and the very last short track race at Saddleback . I rode the Perris race with Jimmy and Donnie and we won that and I was fortunate enough to win the last Saddleback race but don't remember anyone other than Jimmy, Donnie and I think Marty Hart at the Saddleback race and it would just be kinda fun to know just who all was at those races.

Anyway, even though I am a Kawi guy, I have no problem saying that it's good people like you and Dean, and of course some others, that have inspired many other riders and helped to generated interest in ATC's for many people, and there are many here that appreciate you taking the time to post and tell some of the great stories you have.

PS - Yes, John Neary was definitely a good rider, so I didn't feel all that bad when he passed me on a couple occasions, lol.

Regards and hope things are well with you and yours.

--
    Mike,

Add me to the many others who have posted on this thread thanking you for the responses and stories. Also, let me thank you for the priceless memories of my childhood that you were a huge part of. As a kid, I eat, breathed, and crapped 3 wheelers. I read every 3 Wheelin' magazine cover-to-cover until the next one came in the mail. Then my brother, my best friend, and I would go to our little racetrack and pretend to be our idols we only read about in magazines. We raced each other, but more importantly, we were Team Honda (we all had Honda 3 wheelers) and we fought our imaginary villain Jimmy White. Seriously, Jimmy never had a podium finish at our track; we were unbeatable lol! Your influence even prompted me to enter a "real" race at our county fair eventhough I had to fight my dad for weeks before he finally signed the permission slip. Funny story tho; I had a 185s that I couldnt even start myself cause I was a tiny kid but with only one class, I had to run with the adults. First turn of the first race, I wrecked. Layed there for a second, realized I wasnt hurt, then went looking for my wheeler. By the time I got to it, my dad had already run out of the stands and flipped it back on its wheels. Man, was he PO'd!! He was never a fan of our riding and definately thought racing was a waste of time and money. Well, the wheeler was busted up pretty good but he started it up and told me to finish the race. It was one of those moments in life that I look back on and realize it it had a huge impact on the person I became.

Anyway, my question is why dont you ride anymore? And why hasnt modern quad racing captivated to masses like 3 wheeler racing did for all of us?

--
    Mike, this is a great photo that John's dad took at the start of the Big Bear race . I posted it because I thought you might enjoy seeing it with all you Honda guys side by side . I'm number 29 on a Tectae just behind you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtfan07 View Post
    Mike;

Also, let me thank you for the priceless memories of my childhood that you were a huge part of. ...my brother, my best friend, and I would go to our little racetrack and pretend to be our idols we only read about in magazines. We raced each other, but more importantly, we were Team Honda (we all had Honda 3 wheelers) and we fought our imaginary villain Jimmy White. Seriously, Jimmy never had a podium finish at our track; we were unbeatable lol!
    dirtfan, here's your Honda guys all lined up in a row . Unfortunately I was unable to cut Jimmy White out of the photo for you and Mike.

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT

KAWI - Jimmy White ......... 31
    KAWI - Donnie Luce .......... 53 . On far left
    HONDA - Mike Coe ............ 23
    HONDA - Marty Hart ........... 7
    KAWI - Mike Lillevig ........... 29 . Behind you and Marty Hart
    UNKNOWN ........................ ?
    HONDA - Dean Sundahl ..... 34
    KAWI - Unknown ............. 196 . You can see just a small bit of him behind and to the right of Dean . I think he was another Team Green rider.

--
    Barnett468,
    I thought I replied to your post as you mentioned. I don't recall seeing or speaking to either James or Bruce the entire weekend or even after the Loretta's woods race. I know that one or both of them were likely there. I also don't recall who may have been mounted on Honda's at the two races you mention, sorry. I am glad for John and understand he works for Kawasaki currently. Also glad you didn't cut Jimmy out of the picture for dirtfan. Jimmy was the Mike Alessi of our time. It seemed he always got great starts. Lucky for us, the tracks weren't always one-liners and there was room to pass. If memory serves, I think Marty won the race there in Big Bear. I don't recall how I finished.

--
    Dirtfan,
    When you ask,"why don't I ride anymore?", does that mean 3 wheelers or? I still ride as often as I can. I currently own two 2003 Honda CRF 230/250's that I've hopped up and also a 2003 YZ250 that I ride at Pala raceway here in So.Cal. I rode with Donny Luce about 6 years ago up at a place called Hungry Valley. It's California's second largest off highway facility. We had a great time! I also have a road bike. My current mount is a 2008 Honda VTX 1300. Hopefully I made a positive impact on your youth. Back then I never thought much about what the younger generation might be doing and you described it well in your post. I'm sorry your racing endeavors were short lived, but as you quickly found out, it's not for everyone and parents are very protective. When I first started racing bicycles, my father, like yours, was against it. My older brother is a Junior. He would forge my dads name on my entry forms. This worked fine until I started winning and he found out from someone at his work who congratulated him on a race I won. The guy read about it in the local paper, but that's another story... Jimmy White was a villan for me while we were on the track too. The guy got awesome starts and won many races. He was then and is now a great guy and I always admired the competition he brought to the track. Barnett468 posted a great picture of the start of a race held at Big Bear California. It's around 1984 I think. Jimmy White is in his customary position in the front at the start. I last saw him 16 years ago at an event held in 2000 at a popular race facility in Ohio. Boy, time really flies...

--
    Micky,
    For those that didn't read the magazine article you and I are referring to, I'm going to post the caption next to the picture they printed of me. It says, "When ATC's ruled the track in the early 1980's, aftermarket companies were very few and far between. The top riders like Mike Coe relied on the factory to supply "works" parts to gain an advantage". Relied on? Just about EVERYTHING was supplied by the aftermarket and available to the public. There may be more shock manufacturers out there now, but suspension was well represented by the aftermarket back then too. There was Fox, Works Performance and Ohlins to name a few and there were a number of very capable suspension shops that rebuilt and made great mods to stock suspension components as well. In my mind it was and is a bogus statement. 3 wheelers were well represented by the aftermarket during my entire professional racing career. In fact, without the aftermarket I likely would have never landed my ride at Honda and without Powroll, neither would you. I was happy to see my picture in a current mag, but the caption was still way off. I'm done with this subject. Cheers!

--
    Micky,
    For those that didn't read the magazine article you and I are referring to, I'm going to post the caption next to the picture they printed of me. It says, "When ATC's ruled the track in the early 1980's, aftermarket companies were very few and far between. The top riders like Mike Coe relied on the factory to supply "works" parts to gain an advantage". Relied on? Just about EVERYTHING was supplied by the aftermarket and available to the public. There may be more shock manufacturers out there now, but suspension was well represented by the aftermarket back then too. There was Fox, Works Performance and Ohlins to name a few and there were a number of very capable suspension shops that rebuilt and made great mods to stock suspension components as well. In my mind it was and is a bogus statement. 3 wheelers were well represented by the aftermarket during my entire professional racing career. In fact, without the aftermarket I likely would have never landed my ride at Honda and without Powroll, neither would you. I was happy to see my picture in a current mag, but the caption was still way off. I'm done with this subject. Cheers!
    I understand what you are saying, and like you said they weren't there so I understand that you want people to know that the aftermarket people were there, but Honda did give us parts and bikes that no one else had so we did have those advantages.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mike,

I got your email asking about the Imperial Invasion and tried to reply to your @netscape.net address but it bounced back. Send me a PM (or another email through the site) if you have a newer one, but here is what I wrote you:

Hey Mike,

They are out there this week now actually - Here is a link to the thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...erial-invasion

They are down at Gordon's Well area on the south side like before when I met you out there a few years ago. I didn't get to go this year unfortunately.

Hope all is well.

-Billy

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //