//ArrowChat Code
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Atc 4 Me

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --

Smile

Curtis Sparks would get my vote...if it were a 200X.

83200e is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I was reading old179's post and saw Mike Chester's name.Wasn't he the one that got hurt pretty bad during a race? What ever happened with him?

Old 179 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    He so happen to have been injured in a benefit race (1982) for the injured "Ace Williams" (1981). Same type of injury as far as I know. Don't forget, Dan Lamey meet the same fate up in New England area back in 1983 doing a bit for a "tv" film crew. I believe he was paralylse waist down. Wander what became of the three?

--
    Mike Chester did suffer a broken neck during a "benefit" race for Bob "Ace" Williams. He was paralyzed from the chest down. I have not heard from him or about him for many years.

Bob Williams was comatose from the injuries he sustained while testing his race trike prior to Riverside 1982. He passed away a few years ago, never coming out of his coma.

Dan Lamey actually has his own Hi Perfromance shop in the LA area of California. He has done testing and modification work for Yamaha's R&D group. He was involved with the YZF450 Quad engine development to make the engine better suited for quads from the motorcycle tune.
    Last edited by CoeShow; 10-27-2010 at 12:33 AM.

mad_max is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoeShow
    The Honda ATC team had MANY members at various times under different "letter" support. There was the "A" "B" and "C" teams, and lesser support for many other racers back then.

Mike,

Can you give us an example of how "A" "B" and "C" teams differed?
    I'd heard that some Honda riders were paid while others were lucky to get a few parts.

Thanks
    Max

--
    mad_max,

I will try to shed some light on the support levels.

As an example, I was very fortunate to be a fully sponsored "A team" rider. I was paid a handsome salary form Honda, and Honda also paid large bonus money for placing in certain races as "incentive" money.

There was predetermined bonus money for each race and for finishing positions of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. The actual amount of these bonuses was also predetermined depending on the exposure level of the race itself. Nationals, Micky Thompson events, and SCORE Off Road were the highest exposure and largest bonuses.

Honda also paid for all of my expenses, hotels, rental cars, food, everything.
    It was a sweet deal!!

"B" team riders would receive trikes and parts deal, and also a bonus schedule. I don't think the schedule was quite the same payout. Honda might also help out some for travel expenses depending on the event and how the rider performed.

"C" team riders would receive a trike and limited parts support, usually nothing else.

Winning was everything when it came to making the serious money.

Honda was quite generous at times. We would always lend support to racers that needed major parts for repairs at the races, and would always help out time permitting with weld repairs and however we could.

Honda even paid to have Jimmy Whites Kawasaki shipped to Alaska so that he could participate in a major race that was held there. I think he won it too!!

I hope my explanations have helped some.

Mike

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mike...earlier you said that you guys did some mods to your 250R's that made them more similar to the prototype 500R for flat tracking. Could you tell us what those mods were and what the principle/theory was behind them vs the stock setup?

--
    HondaATC,

The mods were done to aid the overall handling of the 250R in ALL aspects, not just for flat tracking.

The steering angle was changed (steeper)
    The tank, radiators, and seat were moved forward @1.5"

Thats about it. It made a big difference in handling. The frames were modified by a professional frame builder utilizing a special jig manufactured to allow this work to be done correctly.

The seat was modified to become a "bolt-on" instead of using the quick release mechanism. (It was too far back to be used anyway)

These modifications were done to put more weight on the front end. A built 250R with good traction became very difficult to "steer" or keep from wheelying. Starts were difficult to get the holeshot as well for the before mentioned reasons.

A longer swing arm would NOT have provided the same results.

I also used a 350X front end for flat track racing(on 85-86 250R). The steeper fork angle allowed the trike to be turned MUCH easier.

Mike
    Last edited by CoeShow; 10-17-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Old 179 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Anchorage, Ak Aug. 15-17 1983

8-15 Main results
    1) J White 2) Dunlop (218cc 4 stroke) 3) Coe 4) Wax 5) Sundahl
    Heats
    White, Coe, Dunlop

8-16 Main results
    1) J White 2) Dunlop 3) Hart 4) Davis 5) Howard (two locals)
    Heats
    Dunlop, White, Hart

8-17 Main Results
    1) J White 2) Hart 3) Dunlop 4) Wax 5 Brehm

Over all winners
    250 Jimmy White $1400
    200 Wax $1400

--
    what exactly was the 200R? damn this is some great reading! and everyone wonders why I like trikes so much.
    Current Bikes
    02 Drag/Dune Banshee
    84 ATC 110 -4 SALE
    84 200S- all original other than tires!
    85 Tecate (need motor)

Former Rides
    03 660R- R.I.P.
    85 Tecate 3 Nice!- Sold
    82 250R -Sold

--
    Quote Originally Posted by CoeShow
    Hello everybody!

My name is Mike Coe. Once upon a time I used to race ATC's for American Honda's factory ATC racing team. I was very fortunate to be able to race for a living for a number of years.

It was an incredable time racing ATC's in the early through mid 80's!

I consider myself very lucky to have been part of the BIG RED TEAM of that era. I raced for Honda for 5 years until they dismantled the team at the end of 1985.

Even though Honda did race in 1986, The ATV racing "scene" was unfortunately dying a quick death. It was also a very difficult time for someone who was in the racing prime of his life (me) and didn't know what else to do BUT race!

I now am the proud father of 3 children. The oldest of which is now 16. She is the one who actually turned me on to this site! I have many fond memories of my days racing ATC's and will happily share them with you!

Any one that has any questions or needs some info about something please ask. I started out replying to a post by Dean Kirsten, former 3 Wheeling magazine guru. Dean was always a class act whatever he was doing. I wish I could say the same for myself.

Anyway, hello again! I'll read ya soon I hope. Till then...................

Mike
    I figured you'd show up here some time
    Hoarder of the finest junk

'82 YT175
    '83 YTM200
    '85 KLT110
    '86 Moto 4 225
    '84 TRX200 trike conversion.
    '87 Tecate 4
    Lots of vintage and not so vintage two wheeled stuff.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Very cool info on the 250R mods Mike, I appreciate the info. I've already got a CR500 drag trike and I'm hoping to sometime either the end of this year or beginning of next start working on a CR500 conversion for flat tracking. I would have never thought of using 350x front forks and tripples, but it makes sense. Thanks for the tips.

--
    BigAir660R,

The ATC200R was a 200cc 2 stroke race specific three wheeler built by Honda to compete in the 200 class of the era.

Honda built them because the ATC200X was no match for a de-bored Kawasaki Tecate 250.

They were quite frankly "works trikes". They were nothing short of "trick" in every sense. Engine, brakes, axle, all state of the art and industry exclusive all the way!

--
    so do you have any idea what kinda specs the motor had? It was a honda 200 2-stroke. Wish i could compair it powerwise to something. Do you think it owuld be similar to the yamaha 200 2-stoke thats in the blaster? Do you happen to have any pics of one of these also, maybe you can post them whenever you have the stuff to do it. I now everyone would be intersted in seeing one as i personally think is the rarest trike ever. Thanks for the reply also.
    Current Bikes
    02 Drag/Dune Banshee
    84 ATC 110 -4 SALE
    84 200S- all original other than tires!
    85 Tecate (need motor)

Former Rides
    03 660R- R.I.P.
    85 Tecate 3 Nice!- Sold
    82 250R -Sold

--
    These are in the vintage racing pics page. I do not believe it was a honda motor but a Euro motor. It was liquid cooled. Talk to MyMint, one of his mates Tommy Gain used to race the 200R. My best bet is that it is a lot like the KTM200cc motor with a trick pipe. All i could come up with.
    Rest in peace Rex Carlson

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //