//ArrowChat Code
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Atc 4 Me

--
    mad max,

You are correct. Depending on course layout and length, our "teams" would consist of two, and on very long races 3 riders. Each rider would be slated to ride a section usually dividing the mileage up as evenly possible.

On the longer races that ran through the night,(Baja 1000, Vegas to Reno) I would normally ride those sections as I was very comfortable riding at hi speed during night conditions.

Most of the off-road events were two rider affairs. There was at the time only one rider of record, so only one rider would end up as a "points" earner toward the championship.

Mike

Old 179 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Mike,

You said Dean was the "king of atc". Do you feel that would be true if "Ace" Williams had not been injuried in 1981. I have read he was way ahead of his time.
    Based on mags back in 80-81, "Ace" would had been the guy to beat. Then again. these were the same source for the "Wax" build up! You was there and I trust your thoughts over those mags.

--
    Old 179,

"ACE" was ahead of the times........ as far as equipment. He was an excellent rider to be sure, but I don't feel he would have been so dominant on equal equipment like what the AMA and other sanctioning bodies would require.

Ace was building one-off YZ powered, fully suspended trikes about the same time that the first ATC250R was introduced. He was friends with Brock Glover, hence the Yamaha parts source early on for 3B lightning products.

Once Honda aquired his sevices he began work on a trick CR450 powered trike.

The rest is history......... When Dean and Wax and Ace would race in the 180cc class before suspension, but they each won races and mixed it up very well. ace was more of an "inovator" and fabricator. Ace won numerous races early with the Yamahas mainly because his trike was so much better than anything around or available!

I would sometimes even enter my 138cc trike into the "open" class sometimes to get more racing in on the race nights. I could mix it up with them and even occaisionally finish ahead of them sometimes while being significantly down on power to their trikes.

Anyway, form being around Ace, Dean, Wax, and everyone else at the races and at the shop, I feel Dean was more focued on racing and winning whereas Ace was more interested in building the fastest and best handling trike that he could use to win on easily.

Ace was the MASTER Fabricator!! I feel (Ace) was in it more for the fun and challenge and for the competition part of it. He got as much satisfaction when his MACHINE won than when he did. I won races while riding his YZ250 powered trike after he was signed to Honda and while he was working on his Honda 450 trike. He was not allowed to ride Yamahas after inking his deal with Honda.

Since my relationship with Honda was still about a year away, I was stoked to ride this YZ powered trike! It was ahead of its tiime. I think I won @5-6 races on it at local race tracks in So.Cal. in late 1980- early1981. My brother bought one of the first ATC250Rs, and Ace got hurt........ No more YZ250 Trike.

If you look on the back cover of the early 3 wheeling magazine's you will see this trike in the 3B-lightning ads. It was SWEEEEET.

Mike

Mike
    Last edited by CoeShow; 11-05-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Old 179 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Mike,

Thanks for your info on "Ace". Hey, would you remember how he got that knick name? I ran across Dean Kirstens "Are you a whiz or a fizz?" article in their 4th anniversary issue. Another question was which riding spot had the fresh lobster available nearby? A) Glamis B) Pismo C) Cantamar, Baja California. (is it still there?) How about the famous motocross rider that ran a 3-wheeler in the 1981 Baja 1000 , while you rode the ghost to a second place finish with Dickson and McDermott. A) Chuck Sun B) Roger Decoster C) Rex Staten ? Remember what that rear suspension was called on the "ghost"
    Speaking of the 180cc trike of Sundahl, they had that and his 84r racer in a comparison of the now and then racers. Very interesting reading! Thanks for your time

--
    Speaking of your old team mates.....
    Did anyone check out this months Atv Action magazine (i think it was this mag, maybe another), anyway it had an interview with the "King" as they put it, Marty Hart. When i read the article all i thought was this is BS! .....Talking about his Championships and the '85 title.

Any way they had his picture in there and its amazing what twenty years will do to a guy! LOL!.....I was 13 back then reading about you guys and riding my ATC 110...so i guess if you look at me 20 years later at 33 i guess father time really beat the sh!t out of me too!! HAHA

--
    You seemed to do alright...........
    What hair you lost on top, you gained on your lip... !

I just thought this was a nice comparison.....No hard feelings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MikeCoe.jpg   Coe18-17-00.jpg  

--
    Old 179,

There were many stories on how Bob "Ace" Williams got his nickname. I can't say I remember any of them or which one to be true.

Fresh lobster nearby would have to be Cantamar, BC. It's still there.

Motocross racer in the Baja 1000. Hmmmmm. Must have been Chuck Sun?

--
    I'd like to see what that 138cc trike looked like. what was it a honda 125 or something?

--
    R Nutt,

I don't remember if I was sporting a mustache when that photo was taken, or if that is just the remainder of all the dirt I was eating at the 2000 "Legends Race" at Ashtabula, Ohio.

Marty Hart was / is an outstanding rider. I have no ill feelings toward him. We have always got along quite well and I respect him as a racer. HONDA bought his title in 1985, no question. In 1986, I went to Quads as did most other 3 wheeler racers that could see the writing on the wall concerning ATV racing. I had a pro-support deal through Suzuki and DG performance in 1986 and won many races on my RM powered LT250.(Outlawed at seasons end)

The 1986 3 wheel title would have been between Marty and Jimmy White. If I recall, Jimmy had many mechanical failures during the season, and Marty really had NO other competition and won the 1986 3 wheel title with little effort.

Even in 1986, all of the emphasis was on Quads. 3 wheelers were history as far as racing them competitively.

Mike

--
    Quote Originally Posted by CoeShow
    R Nutt,
    I had a pro-support deal through Suzuki and DG performance in 1986 and won many races on my RM powered LT250.(Outlawed at seasons end)
    What was the reason for the outlawing of the bike?

--
    Roger Decoster rode one of the ATC250Rs as a promo, Steve Rhoades invented the "Mystery Link" suspension on the white "Ghost." and Puerto Nuevo was the lobster place in Baja (near the Cantamar dunes). Back then, for $8, you could stuff your face with more grilled lobsters, rice, beans and fresh tortillas than you could imagine. Corona beer was about $1 a bottle... great times! Now that place is a major tourist trap.

--
    Hey Mike and Dean,

Base on the March 84 issue. The answers were; "Ace" crashed into a '62 Mercury in Baja, Lobsters at Cantamar, Motocross rider Rex Statan, And the "mystery link" suspension

--
    Old 179

I really couldn't recall who if any MX racer was riding a 3 wheeler at the 1000 that year. I "guessed" Chuck Sun only because I know he rode for Honda and Rex was with Yamaha.

Dean was right about Cantamar. You could eat your self sick on lobster back in the early eighties for very little dinero.

--
    Nos 350X,

My brother installed an engine from a 1986 RM250 motocrosser into my 1986 LT250 quad. DG performance built a hand made "cone" expansion chamber for it and the thing was a rocket. The engine was bone stock.

I was winning a number of the Suzuki quad promotional races in 1986. Suzuki was paying quad racers more money than they were for MXers at MX races!!

At one such race, Suzuki had a number of engineers in attendance and a few of the Suzuki "team" riders had been testing for days at this track prior to the race. I showed up and won the race. All of the engineers were amazed at how much faster my quad was than the ones that they had been testing. (what about the rider!!)

I won the next race as well but was informed by letter that the "stock"LT engine had to be installed to claim any prize moneys. That was the end of that. At almost this very time I was approach by Yamaha to help unveil THEIR secret quad, the BANSHEE!! So I parked the Suzuki and inked a deal with Yamaha!

The amazing thing with the Suzuki was that the RM engine was a near "bolt in"!! The engineers asked my brother if HE was an engineer and many many questions on how and why we did what we did.

The 1987 model LT 250 sported an "ALL NEW" engine. Suzuki copied US!! They did exactly what we had done, only a bit better by incorporating a counter balancer that the RM engine lacked. I have ridden many 3 wheelers and quads with motorcycle engines installed. They all vibrated noticeably, EXCEPT this one. The RM engine only vibrated a tad, like a Kawasaki 3 wheeler, maybe even less. It was easily acceptable. I can't say why this worked and didn't vibrate, but work it did! This quad was the best handling one I EVER rode/raced.

I had never ever ridden a Honda quad until I raced at the "Legends"race in 2000. Prior to that day I had only raced my Suzuki and Yamahas.
    Last edited by CoeShow; 11-05-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by CoeShow
    I had never ever ridden a Honda quad until I raced at the "Legends"race in 2000. Prior to that day I had only raced my Suzuki and Yamahas.
    Speaking of the "Legends" race, If they have another one of these races are you going to attend? I ask because I didn't know anything about that one or my butt would have been there.
    Howdy

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //