Quote Originally Posted by Howdy View Post
If you fail to fix a bad one-way clutch or sprag ( same part ) you risk the possibility of trashing your electric starter and the 1st reduction gear that mates up with it. You might ask: How can this happen?: The one-way clutch is a mutli used item. 1st off it works sto engage the kickstarter, thus getting the motor to turn over ( for starting and such ). 2nd, it also works to ekep the engage the motor when coasting down hill ( using the motor as a brake for slowing the machine down ). 3rd aand I consider the most important thing is that the one-way clutch works to keep the motorf rom turning backwards when you turn it off. What happens here is if the motor is happens to be on the wrong stroke when shut off it could turn backwards too far and engage the starter gears on the left side. If the motor turns backwards too far It will destroy the electric starter gear and the splines on the starter. I have seen 5-10 machines with this problem. Can you wait and fix it later? Well look at it this way: A one-way sprag / Clutch will cost aprox $60-$85 plus a gasket ( $10-$15 ). I estimate $70 to $100. If you do it yourself. It sure beats spending $200 or more to replace the extra parts you trashed while saving money now.

Ultimately the choice is yours to do it how ever you want. For me I know what way I will go in the future if I have this problem. The money I save from not having to replace a starter and gear will be used for refreshments.

Howdy
Howdy, my 250sx had the kickstart slipping when i got it and the starter would grind as well (i am guessing from the kickback or reversing of the engine). I Then replaced the one-way and the kickstart no longer slips but the starter still grinds and took out the first reduction gear. Also when I try to kickstart it sometime kicks back and dang near breaks my leg. Any ideas. After the one way engages what actually stops the reverse engine direction. TIA