//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ATC500R question

--

ATC500R question

ok, i got an 86 250R frame, with all the other stuff, but no motor, i heard a CR500 motor would bolt in, but something about it vibrating to hell and back, is there anyway to remedy this.either way i wanna put one in it. anyone got any opinions. Oh yea, whats the estimated chance of fatality? LOL

well after calling around today ive come to the conclusion that its not that easy to find a cr500 motor , im gonna keep lookin, and if i cant find one ill jsut geta 250r motor. my buddy knows where theres like 6 of em
    Last edited by diablo0072k; 11-17-2005 at 09:45 PM.

--
    Don't know if it will bolt up or not, but the 250R motor, as with most ATV motors, has a counterbalancer shaft to smooth vibration. The CR motor does not. Why not try putting a CRF450 motor in it??
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]~My Rides (to name a few) ~
    1986 ATC250R, 1985 ATC350X
    1985 ATC250R Missile (90% done)
    1983 ATC185S
    1999 TRX416EX
    2003 Honda CBR600RR
    1990 Yamaha Zuma
    1985 XR80 w/100 motor
    1967 Honda CB77, '65 CL77
    1962 Puch 250 SGS
    1984 XR350R (owned since I was a kid)
    1972 Suzuki T350 Rebel, '73 T500 Titan
    1964 BSA A65 (needs restored)
    1968 BMW R60/2 mint original bike
    1976 Kawasaki KH500 triple
    Anybody have parts to trade for the above models?

Mike_Ham_250R is offline Even team-red-rider is cooler then me. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Yeah the 500R engine would vibrate somewhat. And I'm pretty sure it wont bolt up. I think there is a lot of work to get it in that 250r frame.
    -Mike

--
    I belive there are a few modifications that need to be made before it will "bolt up". I know there are a few guys on here who either have done that or who are in the process of doing so. Maybe change the title of this to something to do with "ATC500R" to grab there attention

BTW: :welcome
    1983 250R ~ 1984 125M ~ 1990 POWER WHEELS!! trike

--

Thumbs down

No! Its NOT EVEN CLOSE to a bolt-in! The 500 motor is 2" taller and won't clear the frame. Lots of cutting, welding and fabrication. Easier to use the CR frame.

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbore
    No! Its NOT EVEN CLOSE to a bolt-in! The 500 motor is 2" taller and won't clear the frame. Lots of cutting, welding and fabrication. Easier to use the CR frame.
    I think KASEY might beg to differ. Looked like some custom fab'd motor mounts and the cutting away of a piece of frame off the bottom is what it required. A bigger problem might be getting a pipe custom made to fit.

--
    When I started mine... The options were to cut the bottom of the frame out graft in the CR frame lower section. It would have extend it two inches lower and reweld ( the down tube need to be reinforced at the joint and in the back at the swingarm bolt hole area). New motor mounts are easy to fabricate. The thing that scared me was the difference in the wall thickness of the frames. The 250R's frame is half of the thickness (.064") to the 500's frame (.136") , I didn't want to try and do all of the work to the 250r frame to have it crack-out to the stress. The other option was to use the 500's frame.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by grundlegrabber
    Don't know if it will bolt up or not, but the 250R motor, as with most ATV motors, has a counterbalancer shaft to smooth vibration. The CR motor does not. Why not try putting a CRF450 motor in it??
    LOL
    1986 ATC 250R
    Ported w/ Cool head
    LED pipe and silencer.
    Boyesen Rad Valve
    Keihin PWK 38mm
    Works Ultra Cross Shock
    LSR +2 Axle
    American Star Racing +4 Swinger
    LED Intake
    Hi-Flite desert seat
    OEM clutch 89 upgrade
    2021 YFZ450Rse Rossier R5 Titanium Header AIS Delete FCI Vortex ECU

--
    use the search button on here or on www.3wheeler.org and you should find ever bit of info needed. is right, I think there was a notch to be made in the lower cradle of the frame and motor mounts, the pipe sounded like the hardest part.
    My Feedback 85 TECATE 500 08 Honda 450R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by grundlegrabber
    I think that is actually a good idea....that would be awsome. Imagine, that modern motor, inverted front forks, a bad-ass rear shock, extended axle, shortened swinger, 18'' tires, that would be a bad-ass trike. I may have to try it....
    "I am going out of this world.....the same way I came in...screaming and covered in blood."

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    THERE WOULD BE ONLY ONE OR TWO REPLYS TO THIS THREAD,,,,, if all the hearsay would just go away!!!!!!!

i have a 86 cr500 in a 86 atc 250r frame ,,, NO FRAME cutting was done,,, the original cradle is still intact,,, i can change the plug change the oil and do everything without any problems,, there are some vibrations SOME going on three years of riding and no broken frame ,,, so it must not be to bad,,,,

Don't know if it will
    I belive there are
    I think there was
    is this a tech thread or a speculation thread do you guys work in the media?????

--
    I'm sorry Kasey...I'll go be helpful somewhere else as there seems to be no room for it on this forum.
    My Feedback 85 TECATE 500 08 Honda 450R

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    theres room for everyone here,,, it just gets old reading posts in a thread where someone is asking a question and you get 15 posts that start with i think,,,,,,, or i heard,,, or not even close ,,,,, i don't mind opinions they are ok in the right thread,,,

well after calling around today ive come to the conclusion that its not that easy to find a cr500 motor , im gonna keep lookin, and if i cant find one ill jsut geta 250r motor. my buddy knows where theres like 6 of em
    cr500's are easy to find if you have the money,,, ohhh i have a idea,,, CALL your buddy that might make it easier

--
    cr500's are easy to find if you have the money,,, ohhh i have a idea,,, CALL your buddy that might make it easier [/QUOTE]

He's talking about 250r motors
    I got nothing...

--
    Found one, a cr500 motor that is. im gonna go check it out monday. i called and the guy was sure what he wanted for ir, he said come out and i'll give ya a deal on it. its missin the kicker be the way.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //