//ArrowChat Code

Thread: TRX 250R's, tell me what you know

Jonathan is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

TRX 250R's, tell me what you know

I'm probably gonna get a TRX 250R pretty soon here (or at least I hope so). So I was wondering what should I look for when looking at them? Any common problems? What kind of prices should a nice mostly stock one go for? Are certain years better than others? What are the differences between years? Anything else I should know? I know a few of you guys here have got TRX R's, so hopefully you can answer some of my questions. Thanks alot.
    I like motorbikes!

TRX R's are like the Honda Civics of ATV's (except they are actually fast!!!)...everyone has one and everyone has modded them whether they use them or not for racing.

Sane engine as 85-86 ATC R's....slightly differant transmission apparently.

Years were 86/87 and 88/89. I know the 88/89 had a shoter swinger and slightly differant chassis...but thats all I know. Engine didnt change I dont believe.

STOCK TRX R.....impossible. If you actually find a stock one that LOOKS and RIDES nice.....$5000 .

Jonathan is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCRYDER
    STOCK TRX R.....impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    What kind of prices should a nice MOSTLY stock one go for?
    I know they're all modded, by mostly stock I meant stock sized motor (not big bore or stroked), no major suspension changes, and I'm not counting exhaust, plastics, or tires (last 2 aren't really mods and everybody has done exhaust). Basically I want a nice rideable R that hasn't been modded to the point of raising the price too much.
    I like motorbikes!

84250r is offline Clean enough to eat a potpie off of Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    LOL noooooo TRX's are like the Cadillac's of ATVS....

What kind of prices should a nice mostly stock one go for?

Around 2600,

3WheelHouston is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    If TRX's are the Cadillacs of anything, they're the Cadillacs of quads, not ATV's. But I think a Cadillac is a bad nameplate to compare to any sport ATV. Cadillacs are heavy machines with large engines. SO maybe that new KFX 700 Auto or whatever that green monster is. But certainly no other sport quad.
    It ain't no fun unless you kin git hurt doin it.
    Rides: YTM-225DX, 2x YTM-175, KLT-160, ATC-125M, ATC-250SX, ATC-200x, ATC-200E

84250r is offline Clean enough to eat a potpie off of Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 3WheelHouston
    If TRX's are the Cadillacs of anything, they're the Cadillacs of quads, not ATV's. But I think a Cadillac is a bad nameplate to compare to any sport ATV. Cadillacs are heavy machines with large engines. SO maybe that new KFX 700 Auto or whatever that green monster is. But certainly no other sport quad.

OUCH sorry to burst you bubble man, geesh,,

--
    The R's are the Lamborghini's of all 4wheelers and 3wheelers

The 88-89 years are the best of the bunch and a real good used one is about $3500 around here. Nowhere near $5k
    [20:55] <waterpumper> putting a racing pipe on a Foreman is like putting a high dollar bikini on a 400 pound chick...just because it fits doesn't mean it looks cool

--
    Ok, now that we've estabished price, what kinds of problems should I look for? Are frame cracks common? Where do they occure if they are?
    I like motorbikes!

--
    Around here you can expect $2700-3200 and the later years go slightly higher than the 86's. The later ones are supposed to be a little better than the 86's, with a few minor improvements, but your not likely to find many who will say anything is wrong with an 86 either. Ive got an 86, that is mostly stock, and I live it. Ill be racing it once again tomorrow. I practically stole it for $1695.00. Ive been offered $2900, and thats about what its worth.
    I cant think of any problems that are typical to these other than whats typical in anything. Check all bearings, and bushings for slop, esepcially A-Arms, wheels, carrier, and swingarm. See that shocks have dampening and ar not blown. Ask the seller what the bore is at, so you know how many are left. And ride it until it gets very good and warm, and see if when you pull the clutch, the clutch releases the plates when its hot and its not trying to pull forward with the clutch pulled and engine running. They do eat clutch baskets.

My R http://www.angelfire.com/sports/fourwheeler/

--
    Thats some great music you have on your site Tim.
    [20:55] <waterpumper> putting a racing pipe on a Foreman is like putting a high dollar bikini on a 400 pound chick...just because it fits doesn't mean it looks cool

--
    http://www.rriders.com/trx250r_forum/index.php?s=ecf0d323e2463a4d49f0894dfded24c4

i got an 86 trx.. and most people you talk to will tell you, you can get more power out of an 86 then the other years.. and this site will also discuss the frame differences..
    Ride it like you stole it! And never look back! They are too far behind to see!

--
    I had a '87 and it cracked on the right front lower motor mount guesset, not the bracket, but the thing the bracket bolts to.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //