//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 500R dreams

--
    Quote Originally Posted by thefox
    Doesn't a dial-a-jet do this?
    No not really. I had one. It was ok for minor altitude changes but not even close to what an EFI unit would be able to do. Besides the EFI, with an closed loop system, could make sure the motor never ran to lean.

Anyway, just dreaming...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenMachine
    Rice rocket brakes would be overkill I'm sure. XBasket put a ninja 250 caliper on the rear of his old second gen Tecate.

The 480 and aircooled frame man, forget the 350X and its frame cracking issues. Get the , a chassis made for a shakey pinger. Brace that frame at every point you can for the extra stress its going to have to endure and bolt on some fresh calipers/masters and you'll be set.
    thats exactly what ive been thinking of for the past few weeks, it would sure make my r into an animal. id probably put on a heavier flywheel like stated above though, to mellow it out a bit. the 480 would be a big jump, from the stock 27hp to the 51hp the 480's boast. i might tackle this one of these days. i could just see me rolling up at the dunes, and challenging a few 450's, if i could hold onto the 480 long enough to beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbore
    Anyone that thinks a 500cc is too much for trails hasn't ridden a 500 on trails. Personally I wouldn't ride anything smaller than a 500, unless you’re with the wife and kids playing. Who wants to manipulate a powerband, keeping their machine from stalling like you have to do on a 250cc. Then again most of the country doesn't have trails like we do in Colorado.
    i can see where your coming from bigbore, but im only 170 lbs, and for me, manipulating such a big bike as a 500 on trails would be a pain in the arse. it would take too much effort to whip the bike around on tight winding trails. when in the woods are you going to have the space or need to really utilize all the power the 500 has? seems to me like you'd foul tons of plugs, and go through clutches fast. those big 500's werent meant for scenic trips in the woods. they were made for tearing up the tracks. i garrunte (sp) you that on the tight trails around here, i could keep up with 500's, on a 125.

--
    ok... see this is the barrier.... some of us are dune riders and some are woods riders... personally my 330R wouldnt handle the woods at all.. y cause the porting and how it is set up.... if i built a 500R it wouldnt do woods at all either... it would be raw power...t hats y when we talk abotu trikes some people sound rong and some sound right... cause we are all talkign about different terrian and power
    Adam
    but for monster, dont weight downt he fly wheel...t hat gives more torque and for dunes you want revs over torque... you weigh it down... its going to rev slower then it already does... i wouldnt reccomend it...
    86 ATC 500R the duner..
    85 ATC 500R...the not quite finished faster duner
    1985 ATC 250R Bone stock!!
    1985 ATC250R mx/duner
    1986 TRX370R MX/Duner
    94 Banshee 400PV Cheetah 105RWHP

--

cr500r swap

I say use the CR frame, lighten it up like crazy, aluminum stock length swingarm, aluminum sub frame, aluminum airbox, aftermarket tank, aluminum/crome cylinder and head, no front brakes, etc.

Just gotta sit on the handle bars to keep it down. jk if you can ride it'll be no prob.

oh yeah use the watercooled one so you can enjoy it for a while.
    10 Buy it
    20 Beat it
    30 Break it <----- Sometimes this is the end of the routine
    40 Fix it
    50 Sell it
    60 Goto 10

Current
    1985 @TC 350x, 1986 @TC 600x <---need to make a 250r into a 500r next.

Past
    81 KLT 200 ,82 ATC 185S Restored, 84 Tri Moto 125,
    84 200es Big Red, 85 250es Big Red
    85 1/2 TRI-Z 250 Fully Restored 2nd place in competition @ Metrolina bike show March 2011
    85 350x, 86 350x
    86 250r Restored ,87 250es Big Red, 87 200x Restored

--
    Does anyone know where to get the stats and output information for these engines. Whats the torque and HP rating for the 250r's and the 500's. Ive riddin a KX500, its not a honda so it wont come close to the CR's , but it didnt seem to be as intimidating as everyone here is saying. Have we all forgotten the LT500. Granted it was way heavier in the front, its still a 500cc 2 stroke with 2 driving wheels on the ground. Yall seem kinda scared of this creation. Im just talkin out my a** though, Ive never been lucky enought to ride a ATC500r. And as for why....I like Bigbore's reasoning....better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.....and in my limited experience there is no replacement for displacement.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."-Ernest Hemmingway

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbore
    No not really. I had one. It was ok for minor altitude changes but not even close to what an EFI unit would be able to do. Besides the EFI, with an closed loop system, could make sure the motor never ran to lean.

Anyway, just dreaming...
    Theres a new system out, Similar to the dial a jet but 100% better it has a Barometric (Sp?) Pressure guage in the air box and Compensates for altitude Change By opening and Closing The Vents on the carb,,,,I hear it works GREAT and puts the DAJ to shame...i will definatly have one here Cause the riding i do Also Very's greatly in altitude..........As for a cr500 with a stock swinger....Id ride it, Tho's who say a 500 is too much for woods havent riddin one, i LOVE 500's for woods, Puts 250's to shame,,,,,power whenever you need it and Not as much Clutch Work,,,,,,Keeps you From getting in between a rock and a hard spot...so i have found, The 83 5 speed 480 was a Great Open Class/Cross country bike IMO Pull from bottem to top with out a problem.....very fun bike.......Now personally if i was going to bother with a Engin Swap of that calibur i would do the liquid Coold Cr500......From what i have seen and Found out myself, the 480 into the Air-coold Frame is a MUCH tighter fit and requires alot more work, not to mention a Completly Custom pipe, where as the Liquid 500 you Can get away with cutting Up a 85-89 Pipe and making it work......
    1985 Tri-Z-

Quote Originally Posted by mywifeknowseverything
    Just hit the Freakin Gas and Hold on!!!!!

Mike_Ham_250R is offline Even team-red-rider is cooler then me. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Lou's ATC500R is the best.
    -Mike

--
    the KX actually has more power... as for stats just look around on google... lots of CR sites, the CR500 is known for as i have read it 55 horses and 40 FTLBS of torque.. the 250R was CLAIMED 40 horses at crank and 22 ftlbs... actual rear wheel dynoes have said 250R -32 horses 21 ftlbs, Cr500 has set out 52rwhp 43 ftlbs.... but remeber no two bikes lay downt he same power ...
    Adam
    86 ATC 500R the duner..
    85 ATC 500R...the not quite finished faster duner
    1985 ATC 250R Bone stock!!
    1985 ATC250R mx/duner
    1986 TRX370R MX/Duner
    94 Banshee 400PV Cheetah 105RWHP

--
    hey i can buy an 82 cr480 for $200 been thinking about it myself i like to ride in the mountains and ill tell ya after 80+mi of putting my 82r through hell and back
    i know that the 250 is just underpowered for huge rocks and steep grades requiring way too much clutching to climb the hills of the now defunct "PARAGON"
    out side of Allentown Pa when you climb hills like that you need the power it was all i could do to keep it running going up those steep hills with bolders on em'
    If i had the power id be riding there this weekend

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //