//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 500R dreams

--

Question 500R dreams

Well like most people on hear, I have always dreamt of building an ATC500R. However, mine will be unique, and perhaps a little "nuttier" than the others I think! Here's what Im thinking, tell me what you think.....

Take a 85/6 R frame, weld brackets to mount cr500 engine. Then TRY and keep the STOCK swinger! A +2 swinger AT MOST!!! (seeing why it's nuts yet?) Now obviously I will have to gear it for top end speed, and get sprockets for top end!!! Basicly a 250r with a cr500 engine in it, or a +1 or +2 swinger....
    Now the reason I would do this is because I see everyone elses 500r's and they have huge swingers on them that would make them useless on even the easiest of woods trails with gradual turns!!! I want to build a 500r I can ride in the woods!!! Now I know I would never be able to go on tight, windy trails, but I do want to be able to ride on decent woods trails!!
    Do you believe you could gear a CR500 engine down enough so that it would still have bottom end to climb hills and such, but without it landing on your chest!!!
    Now this machine would WITHOUT a doubt require tremendous skill to ride but given time and expierence, do you think my 500R is possible or even feasable????
    Thanks guys, Devin
    "I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience." -Patrick Henry

NEW ENGLAND ATC owners please join!:http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?groupid=27

--
    I personally wouldn't do it. Why isn't a 250cc 2-stroke engine big enough for woods? That is really the ideal woods-riding size. 500cc is just overkill. There is nothing that you will ever need that kind of power for.. the 500cc conversion is more for dragging..
    '85 250SX - My first ever trike and my pride and joy
    **Check Out The Whole SX Project Here!!**
    '85 350X - 10:1 Piston, performance cam, '86 engline/carb
    '85 Powervalved Tri-Z - Fully modded - Soon to have a Corey Sprock 310 kit
    '85 250R - Began the modification process. This bike is going to scream! -295cc kit, Ported, Drag intake, 40mil Keihin, VForce reeds, shaved head, PT High Rev pipe, Fat Boy 2 Silencer, +4 Durablue axle, +2 swinger-

--
    Yeah I COMPLETELY understand where you coming from with that, really I do........ But then agian why do we have sports cars? why can't we all just have regular cars? The answer is really simple, the constant human drive to get BIGGER, go FASTER and be BETTER than the other guy!!! I really wouldn't mind getting out on the frozen lakes up here in the winter, and opening up a cr500 engine that is geared high!!!!!!
    I was just thinking, would I be better off to put an older air-cooled 500 engine in this? less power so it might be a lot more practicle....... It would still haul arse no doubt!!!! But it may be a more realistic dream......... anyone agree??
    "I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience." -Patrick Henry

NEW ENGLAND ATC owners please join!:http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?groupid=27

--
    Lol.. Bigger, Faster, Better. Not a good moto to live by. Personally I'd just save myself alot of hassle and get that R ported. Either that or buy a 310/330 Big Bore kit for it.. It would be alot easier and possibly cheaper.. Either ported and modified or with a big bore kit.. its going to scream..
    '85 250R - Began the modification process. This bike is going to scream! -295cc kit, Ported, Drag intake, 40mil Keihin, VForce reeds, shaved head, PT High Rev pipe, Fat Boy 2 Silencer, +4 Durablue axle, +2 swinger-

--
    hahaha I want to keep my R at 250cc, someday when i go to TF I'll be racing in the 250 class I'm sure. Plus they do ice racing around here and I'd either have to go in the 250cc class, or the UNLIMITED class! The unlimited class in guys with 400cc banshee's, 330R's and crazy crap like that! Plus I want to keep the reliability factor!!!
    And what do you mean that's not a good moto to live by!?!?!?! Is there some other moto I should be living by or something? hahaha

--
    with a stock swinger it would be a waste. i doubt you could you ride it once it hit the pipe.
    83 ATC70
    85 ATC70
    85 200x vintage racer
    86 500r
    Lots of parts

My 500R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 200x Basket
    with a stock swinger it would be a waste. i doubt you could you ride it once it hit the pipe.
    Um, translation please??? hahaha sorry I can't comprahend it man, I tried though!!

--
    not to dis... but have you ever ridden a CR500? your post makes me think you havent.... if you woudl really want to go crazy lol i think a +4 would be a hand full....dont go air cooled the air cooled 500's are time bombs and suck... thats y there was only one year of them.... if i where going air cooled i would build my dream R... a 83 480R.... that would be the tightest woods bike EVER...
    Adam
    86 ATC 500R the duner..
    85 ATC 500R...the not quite finished faster duner
    1985 ATC 250R Bone stock!!
    1985 ATC250R mx/duner
    1986 TRX370R MX/Duner
    94 Banshee 400PV Cheetah 105RWHP

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 250r'en +TCB
    Um, translation please??? hahaha sorry I can't comprahend it man, I tried though!!
    He's basically saying that the bike wouldn't be able to handle the power once it hit the powerband with the stock swinger..

--
    Yeah this is why I'm saying geared high, 12 or 11 tooth front sproket and big rear one!!! And if I had an air-cooled 500 (or 480 perhaps) engine that would put a dent in the power as well...... Like I said, maybe a +1 or +2 swinger if it's absolutely nesassry.....

--
    Whats the use of having the big engine if its geared so low? I'd personally say do it right or don't do it at all..

--
    TOP end, I'd gear it so i could ride it with a short swinger, but it wouldn't be gutless low end!!! and no I havn't riden a 500r, fastest thing I've thrown a leg over was either a 900 snowmobile, or a 330R if you are talking ATV's......
    That 480R looks promising to BTW.....
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...D%26safe%3Doff

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    i rode my 500 in the woods alot,, with a 4" arm,,, it was fun there was no way you needed a fraction of the power . BUT , man was it fun to ROAST the tires at any given rpm,, the biggest problem i had was traction. i had brand new tires and it still didn't make any difference it just threw more roost ,,,, the nice thing about it was very little shifting ,, it use to piss off the bike guys when they were behind me cause 2 11" wide tires throw alot of mud when they are spinning 70 mph in the mud!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 250r'en +TCB
    Yeah this is why I'm saying geared high, 12 or 11 tooth front sproket and big rear one!!! And if I had an air-cooled 500 (or 480 perhaps) engine that would put a dent in the power as well...... Like I said, maybe a +1 or +2 swinger if it's absolutely nesassry.....
    your gearing is a backwards as your logic. you want 16/34 gearing.
    83 ATC70
    85 ATC70
    85 200x vintage racer
    86 500r
    Lots of parts

My 500R

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    I'd reccomend riding a CR500 or something of comparable power (and vibration) before setting out to do this. And...I'm gonna also reccomend for woods application you build/find someone to help build a purpose built frame. Dont hack up a 250R one or use the dirtbike frame. Do it right and make one for it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //