//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy inverted tricks on a ATCR250R!

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Ahhh, now it makes sense! I did the same thing on my steel ones. I moved the clamps in to be the same width as dirtbike ones, that way I could run dirtbike bars with the narrow mounting area.

--
    Super Conversion so far. I have run into the same issue with my handlebar mounts. I have a pair of 6061 billet blocks (3"x2"x11/5") for a new set of risers. I had to make new ones due to the fact the fork tubes will be protruding out the top of the clamps by more than 1 1/2". The stockers are too low (and they don't look TRICK either!)

Keep up the good work, should make a heck of a difference in ride and handling.

--
    I made a little more progress the past couple of days. Much of it has been slow tedious work. I got the top & bottom (left side) fork clamps cut out. I was taking it slow & easy while perfecting my methods. The right side should go a lot faster, now that I've got the technique down. Now that they're cut out, I need to do a lot of cutting, trimming & grinding on them and the triple clamps, so they'll fit together nicely before being welded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_0252.JPG   102_0253.JPG  
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Well, I finally got a decent amount of work done on the triple clamps the past few days. Working on them a few hours here & there just hasn't been cutting it, not to mention that I was having a hard time getting motivated to work on this project, considering all of the tedious work that lay ahead of me. Well, that's all in the past now, as I'm finally ready for the welder. The left side will be welded first, then I'll cut the ends off the right side of the triple clamps, do some cutting & grinding to fine tune the fit of the new triple clamp ends, and then have that side welded as well. The first welding will be done this Monday. Wish me luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_0256.JPG   102_0257.JPG   102_0258.JPG  

--
    Looks good your 250 R is one of the best ive seen. Still..

--
    my question is... if the stockers are 39mm and these are only 43mm 4mm difference, I would think, that 4mm taken out of the stock trees would still be stronger and cleaner then pre fabbed...
    Adam
    86 ATC 500R the duner..
    85 ATC 500R...the not quite finished faster duner
    1985 ATC 250R Bone stock!!
    1985 ATC250R mx/duner
    1986 TRX370R MX/Duner
    94 Banshee 400PV Cheetah 105RWHP

--
    Good thought. Unfortunately, the 43mm portion of the forks is on the slider portion of the forks, down where the front axle is. The upper portion of the forklegs, where they go through the triple clamps, is 49mm at the top clamp & 53mm at the bottom clamp.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Those are looking good Red Rider. Interested in seeing how they turn out. I hope to get my welding torch repaired this week and then Ican finish up with my aluminum pair I had started making.

--
    Thanks 3w/4 & Billy. One leg down, one to go! So far, the welding has gone great. The jig seems to be working nicely, keeping everything in line as I'd hoped it would. In the pic, I've already ground down the external welds on the left side of both triple clamps, and the right side is all mounted up & ready for welding tomorrow. I only hope the right side comes out as good as the left. If all goes according to plans, it should be up on it's own 3 wheels tomorrow, sporting a sexy set of new legs!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_0259.JPG  

--
    Looks really good so far. I hope your fender fits in there. Definately a trike to envy when it's done.
    I'm watching this thread closely, as the inverted front is on my list of things to do this winter. I'm still wondering what forks to go with. I guess my determining factor will be how much trouble you have to go thru to get the right springs in there.
    I'm still looking into the CR250 front fork swap, just modding them internally to lower the bike.

Keep up the good work. Seeing 2 trikes rolling on the same inverted fork set-up definately gets me amped to get a set!
    2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

--
    Thanks Derrick, the front fender fits with no problems or trimming whatsoever. I got the right side welded today, and everything is looking pretty good. Once again, I've ground down all of the external welds and have the triple clamps in their final shape. Now, I just need to do some sanding, sanding, and sanding. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I'll need to do some sanding also. Then I'll polish them. I still need to get some stiffer springs, as well as get the front brake caliper mount figured out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_0270.JPG   102_0268.JPG   102_0260.JPG   102_0265.JPG  

--
    Blog Entries
    Wow that came out really awesome! I was very concerned about how it was going to look but its real good. Turning radius still OK and not to short? They look very nice on your R too. How soft are they with the stock springs? I never even put mine on with the stock springs, so I dont know how it felt.

--
    Billy, there's a lot more sag in them with the stock springs than my original forks had. Right now they feel a bit harsh & I can hear the springs working around inside the fork legs when I bounce up & down on it, but there is very little oil inside the fork legs right now, so I'm pretty sure thats what is causing the harshness. When I built the triple clamps, I moved the forks 1/4" forward to compensate for their increased diameter up top because I didn't want to lose any turning radius. I have just as much turning radius now, as I did before. In fact, I plan on grinding the stops a little bit, to get a little more.

--
    Blog Entries
    I think it would look a bit better if you angled the front fender up a little to match the tire. Shouldn't be hard to do at all.

Looking forward to hearing how they perform out at the dunes. I was impressed how much difference it made when I just put some 2 inch spacers in my stockers. Inverts have to be pretty sweet once they're all dialed in.

--
    at this point you have 3/4 ATC and 1/4 CR. its a real comfy dirtbike with two wheels in the back!
    1985 Honda ATC250R drag trike with s/t kit and full drag CR hybrid motor and drag chassis...
    1986 Honda ATC250R daily rider fully modded engine, +4 swinger,etc...
    1997 Polaris Storm 800 triple, boyesen reeds, dg individual silencers, 240 studs, 123mph on radar...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //