//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Crazy inverted tricks on a ATCR250R!

--
    Blog Entries
    You changed the front fender angle a bit didn't you.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dammit!
    You changed the front fender angle a bit didn't you.
    !, you've got a good eye there. I changed the angle a bit, and moved the whole fender forward about 3/4". I needed the extra space & angle to allow clearance for the fork protectors to pass behind the portion of the fender that wraps around the fork legs. If I didn't do both adjustments, if & when I bottomed out the front end, I would have wasted the front fender & both fork protectors.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--

hey red rider i know this is an old thread but im thinking about doing this crazy conversion. What should i plan on spending on some 85sx forks? I found some but $250 seems like it might be a little high.

Kevin
    "Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
    - Chick McGee

-1985 250sx
    - 1986 atc310R drag bike
    - 1981 110 chopper.
    - 1985 350X 3+1 durablue axle, uni filter
    - 1985/6 350x
    - 2-84 atc250r's and 1 83
    - 2002 trx400ex
    - 1985 atc 250r
    -1985 atc70 WTB PARTS
    - 1985 tecate

MADE IT THROUGH TRIKEFEST 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08, cant wait til 09!!

--
    Kevin, if $250 is out of your ball park, pass that deal along to me. They usually bring that and more. Kind of hard to come by.
    2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    I just missed a BIN on ebay while I was out of town for my third set at $200 Anything under $300 is a steal as far as I'm concerned on these forks.

--
    man, looks like you went thru alot of work to do that tripple tree mod.

personaly i would of just designed a new set of tripples out ot alum. 6061-T65 or equiv. metal and had a machinest cut new one and press your stearing steems into the new lower tripple. i always worry about having things cut off and rewelded back onto somthing thats going to see alot of stress.

cool conversion. i saw a guy used KX250 forks on his bike once but i think he just bored the holes out on his tripple trees.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Adams
    Kevin, if $250 is out of your ball park, pass that deal along to me. They usually bring that and more. Kind of hard to come by.

it's not out of my ballpark, i just wasnt sure if they actually did cost that much on average. Maybe i can find them again one bay and buy them. Is anyone making triples out of chunks of aluminum for them yet? Anybody want to make me the triples/ weld up a set of triples if i get all the parts? I dont have access to a welder that would weld aluminum that good and i dont really want to trust some weld shop that doesnt understand what they are for.
    - Chick McGee

-1985 250sx
    - 1986 atc310R drag bike
    - 1981 110 chopper.
    - 1985/6 350x
    - 2002 trx400ex
    - 1985 atc 250r
    -1985 atc70 WTB PARTS
    - 1985 tecate

--
    Wasn't trying to offend you or anything but yeah, thats a decent deal!
    2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

--
    It certianly is considring they retail for about 700$ a leg.
    1985 Tri-Z-

Quote Originally Posted by mywifeknowseverything
    Just hit the Freakin Gas and Hold on!!!!!

--

lol no biggy, i didnt take it that way at all. i've just never priced forks for anything actually and i really had the slightest clue as to what some little forks would go for.
    - Chick McGee

-1985 250sx
    - 1986 atc310R drag bike
    - 1981 110 chopper.
    - 1985/6 350x
    - 2002 trx400ex
    - 1985 atc 250r
    -1985 atc70 WTB PARTS
    - 1985 tecate

--
    Well after the first ride, on the new forks, back in mid-late 2006, it was obvious that I should have done more homework on the effects of rake/trail, trailing axle/leading axle setups before I undertook this project. The combination of switching to leading axle forks & keeping the factory rake, built into the triple clamps, led to less than desirable steering/handling traits. Basically, the steering is very twitchy because of the lack of trail with the current setup. Over the past 6 years, I've gotten used to, and adapted to, the handling characteristics, but I longed for the factory handling finesse once again, and was looking into different options to machine a new, clean-sheet design.

Then, back in Dec. 2008, my brother (Mr. Sandman) decided to switch over to a set of these same forks, and as it turns out, a friend of his, who just so happens to have a manually operated mill, was willing to machine him a set of triple clamps. My brother asked if I could design a new set of triple clamps, without my handling woes of course, for his bike. I then asked, if I did, could I get a set machined as well. The answer was yes, so I started doing my homework on rake/trail, reading everything I could find on the subject, so I could design the new triple clamps. After seeing builds with inverted forks from Jason Hall, Derrick Adams, & Black Sheep, I decided to contact them as well for any input on the subject, so I could hopefully avoid any pitfalls in my design.

I had the blueprints finallized in early 2009, and we purchased the 1.5" thick, 6061 aluminum in March 2009, and dropped it off at the friend's house, who would be working on them at his leisure. Since his friend wasn't charging us for the machining work, we had a hard time bugging him for progress updates. As a result, the progress was slow. Finally, in early 2010, we get a pic of the progress to date, and then a few more as 2010 rolls on. These are pics of the top triple clamp(s).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Billet Triple Clamp1.JPG   Billet Triple Clamp2.JPG  

--
    Then we start to see some progress on the bottom triple clamps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Billet Triple Clamps3.JPG   Billet Triple Clamps4.JPG  

--
    There wasn't any progress on these at all in 2011. Then around Mar. 2012, my brother gets a call from his friend because he needs to get together with us, as he has a few questions before he can finish them up. We finally manage to coordinate all 3 of our schedules and meet up in Aug. 2012. We spend about 6 hours in his garage that day, while he finishes the milling on all of the sensitive dimensional areas of the clamps. At long last, all of the machining was finally done, and the ball was in my court to finish them up.

Pic#1 shows the top sides of the top & bottom triple clamps.
    Pic#2 shows the bottom sides of the top & bottom triple clamps.
    Pics#3-4 show the forks installed in the new clamps. Those forks are a tight fit without any pinch slits yet, and those clamps have sharp edges, fresh from the machining process. Lots cuts on the hands for those last 2 pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BTC5.JPG   BTC6.JPG   BTC7.JPG   BTC8.JPG  
    Last edited by Red Rider; 02-05-2013 at 02:29 PM.

--
    To prevent any more blood loss from handling these, the first order of business was to file down all of the sharp edges. Then in Sept. 2012, I got all of the pinch bolt holes drilled, countersunk, & tapped for the stainless steel allen bolts. Next, the pinch slits were cut. The holes for the handlebar clamps were also drilled in the top clamps. Here's the progress up to that point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tripleclamps4.JPG   Tripleclamps5.JPG   Tripleclamps6.JPG  

--
    Pretty.

This gives me al kinds of ideas
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //