//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes 200x kick starters slip? Several soloutions inside!

--
    I am curious of an answer for this as well?
    ps raffa cleaning the pilot jet didnt help!
    2- 85 Tri-Z's black and Yellow
    2- 85 250SX's
    1- 85 200X
    3-ATC 70's
    2- 85 tri-zinger's who needs some parts

--
    Blog Entries
    has anyone tryed a spring out of a xr 200r? did they have a problem too?

--
    Blog Entries
    here is a 96 and a 99 xr 200 shaft does that spring look like it would work to you? last is a 200x..it does to me..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 79dc_1.jpg   c663_1.jpg   2008_0316stuff0024.JPG  

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Raffa View Post
    has anyone tryed a spring out of a xr 200r? did they have a problem too?
    I'm 90% sure the xr200r gear set up will work. jenndnn3 did a tranny swap before and if I remember correctly it gave her a 6 speed tranny. http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...highlight=200x
    Howdy

--
    Blog Entries
    thank you howdy.. now were getting somewhere.. I may just have a 6 speed...

300rman is offline My other user 3WW ID was Nitebiker07. Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    my R does it sometimes. only when its COLD (like winter cold) in warmer months or after the motor warms up, it doesnt do it anymore.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 300rman View Post
    my R does it sometimes. only when its COLD (like winter cold) in warmer months or after the motor warms up, it doesnt do it anymore.
    Hmmmmmm - this is very strange. I just (like an hour ago) pulled Shelly's 200X out to upgrade the carb from stock to XR200 - and when I went to kick it over - the kicker started slipping. It never ever slipped before - EVER!!!. Keep in mind it is like 10 degrees out. Is there something in there with tolerances so tight that cold weather makes something shrink just enough to make the gears (ratchet) slip??

I am cringing at a whole bottom end dis-assembly to remedy this problem.

Maybe I'll let it warm up and see what happens.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    Hmmmmmm - this is very strange. I just (like an hour ago) pulled Shelly's 200X out to upgrade the carb from stock to XR200 - and when I went to kick it over - the kicker started slipping. It never ever slipped before - EVER!!!. Keep in mind it is like 10 degrees out. Is there something in there with tolerances so tight that cold weather makes something shrink just enough to make the gears (ratchet) slip??

I am cringing at a whole bottom end dis-assembly to remedy this problem.

Maybe I'll let it warm up and see what happens.
    The colder it is, the thicker the oil and the harder it is for that gear to slide on the shaft and lock in.

I honestly just can't believe how bad a design that is. I mean, they say that manufacturers "want" things to wear out so they can make money repairing it, but that doesn't seem true with Honda. They seemed to constantly strive for better designs which is nice for us

The thing you have to is each time that thing slips, it rounds those teeth just a little bit more. I'd pop start the dam thing if it's that cold, lol.....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    UPDATE: Dircrasher - you hit the nail on the head - when it warmed up in the garage - I could not get it to slip again. Huh - strange how those things work. Shelly never rides this in the winter anyway - so this should not be an issue as it never slips unless it is near zero I guess.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Raffa, one thing, You know as I am thinking there is no true differences in the inner springs,,, UNLESS Honda went to that spring after they discovered the "issue". One of the MOST obvious things I did not point out for the 200x, They (I believe) are the only ones who DID NOT have decompression. So why change a spring? Especially if it only made for so many years...

Shimmy DID not work... Locked it all down if I recall correctly
    It would have to be a real thin thing...
    www.3wheeler.org

* * * Nothing scares me more than someone who knows, with certainty, what is best for me * * *

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by jenndnn3 View Post
    Raffa, one thing, You know as I am thinking there is no true differences in the inner springs,,, UNLESS Honda went to that spring after they discovered the "issue". One of the MOST obvious things I did not point out for the 200x, They (I believe) are the only ones who DID NOT have decompression. So why change a spring? Especially if it only made for so many years...

Shimmy DID not work... Locked it all down if I recall correctly
    It would have to be a real thin thing...
    There is a difference in the springs, it's not that much difference, but there is a difference none the less. The updated spring is just a little heavier and it pushes the gears together slightly more, and this causes the gears to grip better.
    Howdy

--
    Undercut them babies. Its not that hard to do. You will NEVER have a slipping problem again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gears x2 (2).jpg  

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhuman View Post
    Undercut them babies. Its not that hard to do. You will NEVER have a slipping problem again.
    well hot dam there's is a Great idea Right There!!! did you cut both sides?

300rman is offline My other user 3WW ID was Nitebiker07. Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    unfortunately, i do not have the time or desire to attempt such a task. if i just gently kick it over, it will not slip usually.

--
    I cut both sets of teeth if thats what you mean. A thin metal cutting disc in a small angle grinder held in a vise. It takes about 10 minutes. Turn on the grinder and gently lower the the teeth down on the disc till the flat side of the teeth are angled back a poof-teenth. Thats it, problem fixed forever.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //