//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What makes 200x kick starters slip? Several soloutions inside!

--
    Blog Entries
    completed kicker Assm. back cut teeth and DaD's shim washers..lucky I had two sets of kicker assm. and put the other one together also with out the shims..not as snappy as this one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008_0612350x0020.JPG  

rugabugadouglas is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

200x kicker

so i tore mine apart today to replace it are both these in need of some work or do they look ok? the one with silver paint on it is the one i took out i think is the on the right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 134.jpg   Picture 133.jpg  

rugabugadouglas is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    i guess i should have added the one on the right was slipping really bad i am thinking about going to my honda dealer and having them look at it

Danold is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Neither of them look good. The one with the silver paint could be filed down and used again.

When I fixed mine, I used an extra assembly I had and cut the spring of the old one and added it to the one on the good assembly. Fixed it without having to grind anything.
    85 200x
    85 Tri-z
    86 Bigred
    81 Rm60
    John Deere racing tractor

Quote Originally Posted by wad
    sorry dude mine are all shitters lol

--
    Great info! I just got done cutting a spare set of kicker gears. Used a Dremel in the vice with a cut off wheel. Took about a half hour to get the result i was looking for. I haven't had any luck finding shims for thespring so I Stretch Arnstronged it a bit. Gonna tear down my x engine soon while waiting for the lake to freeze. Mainly now to install yhese new gears.

'85 Honda 200X
    '85 Honda Big Red 250es
    '85 Honda 250R
    '82 Honda ATC 70
    '87 LT500R Quadzilla

BRUP!!!!!!!!

--
    i have been reading thru this, as my 83 200x has the same issue, and was wondering what exactly was done in the recall, did they only replace the spring, or did they machine the gears as well?

--
    my kick starter is slipping also, i guess slipping? it turns the motor over but will not start it. you have to push start it. these dont have a one way bearng do they? ive never been into one of these before, actually any clutch on a hand clutch style motor only my trx300fw........ any pointers before i tear it down?
    -94' trx300FW:blue, warrior front shocks, 300ex rear shock, 300ex rear hubs, rincon rims, 25" executioners, cycle country boot guards, quad mag shock covers, warn 4-2-4, 3000lbs winch, k&n, cobra full system, blue T.H.E. lock on grips, 250BR cam chain, EBC clutch with spacers on springs, custom reverse lever, snork'd, 250sx cam
    -85 200x: 200S motor, 1 tooth up front sprocket
    -85 200x: megacycles cam, wiseco top end, custom heel guards, full cobra, k&n, irazr radial rears, trail wolf front.

--
    Get a manual first . Motor has to be torn down and the center cases split to get to the slipping ratchet gears . You will need to back cut the ratchet set and either stretch the factory spring out or find a oem upgraded replacement .

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrx View Post
    my kick starter is slipping also, i guess slipping? it turns the motor over but will not start it. you have to push start it. these dont have a one way bearng do they? ive never been into one of these before, actually any clutch on a hand clutch style motor only my trx300fw........ any pointers before i tear it down?
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    i do believe i will just put my wiseco top end on my other bottom end then lol.... never split the cases on anything before.
    -94' trx300FW:blue, warrior front shocks, 300ex rear shock, 300ex rear hubs, rincon rims, 25" executioners, cycle country boot guards, quad mag shock covers, warn 4-2-4, 3000lbs winch, k&n, cobra full system, blue T.H.E. lock on grips, 250BR cam chain, EBC clutch with spacers on springs, custom reverse lever, snork'd, 250sx cam
    -85 200x: 200S motor, 1 tooth up front sprocket
    -85 200x: megacycles cam, wiseco top end, custom heel guards, full cobra, k&n, irazr radial rears, trail wolf front.

--
    Quick question...When reinstalling kicker assembly is there going to be alot of tension on spring to get it to the stopper bolt...We aligned the ratchet on the shaft so the two dots line up but to get it rotated to the stopper bolt its alot of tension. Making sure this is right or what we need to do...
    Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Ryan

--
    Dont think its alot of pressure but it has to be enough to hold the kicker in place .

Quote Originally Posted by lien1125 View Post
    Quick question...When reinstalling kicker assembly is there going to be alot of tension on spring to get it to the stopper bolt...We aligned the ratchet on the shaft so the two dots line up but to get it rotated to the stopper bolt its alot of tension. Making sure this is right or what we need to do...
    Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    87 atc 125m stock

4x4van is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Interesting thread. FWIW, the first '85 250Rs had a slipping kickstarter problem as well. I purchased mine in August 1984, one of the first ones in SoCal. Within months, the kickstarter started slipping occasionally, not just on mine, but on several others our group had purchased. Shortly thereafter, Honda issued a recall on them all, and made repairs, although I don't know what was actually done during the recall. In any case, the recall solved the issue...for many years...but the problem eventually returned. 28 years later, mine occasionally slips, as does my wife's, and my brother's. It's a rare occurance, but it does happen. Again, I really don't know what the recall actually did, so now I wonder how similar the gear setup is between the 250R and the 200X, and what the recall replaced; gear(s), spring(s)...? Guess I should look at parts blowup.
    Those who can ride, ride...those who can't, drive.

--
    ive noticed with higher compression piston they will slip. both of my motors look about mint but im ripping appart to have back cut anyway.

--
    Its all about the ratchet spring !!! If it doesnt have enough pressure to keep the teeth meshed together it fails .

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    ive noticed with higher compression piston they will slip. both of my motors look about mint but im ripping appart to have back cut anyway.
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    87 atc 125m stock

--
    Wow this is an old thread, I have a new to me 84 200x and the kicker slips, I plan to follow these post,
    Q. do I have to split the case to get to this gear set and spring or can I get to it but just taking off the right side case?

Thanks
    MrC.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //