//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are 3 wheelers illegal in Canada?

--

Are 3 wheelers illegal in Canada?

i know they are no longer illegal in the United States as of 1997, but what about Canada? me and my mom got into an arguement over it. She's think's they're too dangerous and that i should get rid of mine . My arguement was that at least they can stand up by-themselves, unlike my dirtbike, which i was much more afraid to ride at high speeds for fear of crashing than my threewheeler. I'm not afraid of tipping, as they are still controllable on 2 wheels...got any ideas?
    1985 ATC 250R
    2001 Arctic Cat 500 4x4

200xkwit is offline Registered User Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I dont know about canada. But as of 1987 it was illegal for any dealer to sell 3 wheelers in the united states. and yes they are legal to have and use... even today. In 87 dealerships were told to cut up the bikes and send them back for a refund. However some models of 87 were sold before this was orderd. One of the most skeptic models is the 87 250r. This model was supposedly found in canada a while back but i dont remember if it was proven other wise. Im thinkin that somthin similar that happend in the US happend in canada. There still legal to own and ride either way though.

--
    thanx alot...i still have to try and convince my mom that they aren't as dangerous as they're made out to be...
    1985 ATC 250R
    2001 Arctic Cat 500 4x4

--
    honda had their dealerships cut up their bikes, from what is being rumored around, and has been mentioned on another post, kawasaki still has a number of 87 tecates in crates and assembled one at their 25 years of team green and kawasaki thingy. plus a few people have the 87 model on here. there has been sightings and enough credible evidence as to the exsistance of the 87r, but yet no one has seen one yet as far as i know of. as for the tri-z i dont think there was an 87 model. there are some of the rare 87 honda 200x's bouncing around out there also. as far as them being illegal, i dont think so. to many people on here in canada that own them and ride them. i am sure someone from north of the border will chime in here and tell yah that no, they arent illegal.
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate - kx cylinder, kx ignition, bassani headpipe, answer silencer, v-force reeds, 38mm airstyker carb, +2 franks swinger, raptor rear shock.

1996 YSF240 Blaster - maxxed out!!!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SH-T, what a ride!"

--
    it was only illegal for dealers to sell new 3 wheelers.

used 3 wheelers were and are still able to be sold and riden .

and it was only a 10 year ban. it is long over now but i am sure they are not going to start making them again. we 3 wheeler nut's would buy them but i dont think there is a large enough market for them now that 4 wheelers are the thing. and they would just reinstate the ban any way probably.

i am not sure if canada ever had a ban on them. the united states isued the ban. and we are the largest market for them, so they just stop making them. they were still selling ATC's up there up into 87 a year after the quit in the US. they probably sold them all up there and just could not get anymore. honda was a 4 wheeler company now .

--
    Canada is fine with them, ive imported them, went over the border 10+ times, and had no problems!

Most of the time we get chatting to the officer about them, kinda neat. Its all cool, I have mine insured as well and no problems.

Oh by the way, I know how you feel I went through the whole trike, dirtbike and quad fiasco with my parental units or should I say unit(mother!), Theyll be fine!
    Where ya from G ram?

Im 20 mins east of london, and how old are ya?
    RPFLU member and co-owner.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    Leagal to ride+ insure in canada....
    1985 Tri-Z-

Quote Originally Posted by mywifeknowseverything
    Just hit the Freakin Gas and Hold on!!!!!

--
    like said already they are not ilegal to own at all... dealers cant sell them any more at all... i alwase get peeps coming up to me arnt those things illegal... and i have to explain to them the difference....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintore
    Canada is fine with them, ive imported them, went over the border 10+ times, and had no problems!

Most of the time we get chatting to the officer about them, kinda neat. Its all cool, I have mine insured as well and no problems.

Oh by the way, I know how you feel I went through the whole trike, dirtbike and quad fiasco with my parental units or should I say unit(mother!), Theyll be fine!
    Where ya from G ram?

Im 20 mins east of london, and how old are ya?
    hmm, funny you say that...at the start of the summer, me and a buddy got stopped by a motorcycle cop, my buddy was on his enduro (1996 Yamaha DT200 for those who may wonder) and i was on his brother's 200S...the cop gave us both warnings, first he talked to my friend, then me. He told my friend that he could get his bike insured and ride it legally, then looked at me and said "you can't get those insured" maybe he just didn't know what he was talking about.... we didn't get fines, which was alright

I'm from a small town in NW Ontario called Vermilion Bay, its about 4 and a half hours west of Thunder Bay, i doubt you've heard of it haha...My dad lives(well used to) sort of close to London, ever heard of Wiarton ontario? i'm 16 years old, but i'm alot kooler than other 16 year olds, cause i have a 3 wheeler that i bought myself instead of a 4 wheeler or dirtbike that my parents bought for me hahaha
    1985 ATC 250R
    2001 Arctic Cat 500 4x4

--
    yeah just cause he is a cop doesnt mean he knows everything... i have pruven cops wrong many times....

--
    dt200? god i need the topend off of one of them, and the waterpump set up!!! wanna make my blaster liquid cooled!!!
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate - kx cylinder, kx ignition, bassani headpipe, answer silencer, v-force reeds, 38mm airstyker carb, +2 franks swinger, raptor rear shock.

1996 YSF240 Blaster - maxxed out!!!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SH-T, what a ride!"

--
    i don't think he'd give up the top end, that bike is absolutely M.I.N.T lol
    1985 ATC 250R
    2001 Arctic Cat 500 4x4

--
    i've been talking with my mom, and she's starting to give with some more careful persuasion, maybe i can get another 3 wheeler haha
    1985 ATC 250R
    2001 Arctic Cat 500 4x4

troy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    there's no way there illegal, my buddie just had his registered, mine on the other i can't get registered because i can't find the original owner to it., and i have no way to find out if it was ever registered

--
    ya, i realize that they aren't now...i'm only human, we make mistakes...the problem with registering an old vehicle is that there's no knowing who owned it previously and its "history" so to speak. One of my friend's tried to register an old Honda On/Off Road bike ( i think it was a 1973) and when they ran the #'s, it came back as stolen. His uncle found it at a garbage dump, fixed it up, and then gave it to him without knowing that the reason it was at the dump was because it was stolen....that's why i'm scared to register my trike, its had alot of owners
    1985 ATC 250R
    2001 Arctic Cat 500 4x4

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //