//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bogging out at full throttle - suggestions?

--

Bogging out at full throttle - suggestions?

When I open up my atc 185s at full throttle for a long period of time the whole trike bogs out and sputters and gets no power.

This happens in all gears and all throttle positions after I have been at full throttle.

It goes away after a while if I let it sit.

Before I start troubleshooting I want to get some direction.

Is it the engine heating up or one of the jets screwed up?

Thanks!
    1985 Honda ATC 200X
    1985 Suzuki ALT 185
    1998 Yamaha YZ-250

--
    Blog Entries
    Could be many things. My gut reaction was that the float bowl is possibly emptying out when you hold it WOT and not filling back up quickly enough.

Edit: could be a bad/clogged gas cap vent too.
    Last edited by Dammit!; 10-31-2006 at 05:03 PM.

--
    Clean the carb - make sure the float is working prop. , do a plug check at WOT ...

any after market pipes , filter ect ..?

Ever try seafoam ?

theonlyjosh is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    My 200N did that and i cleaned carb with combustion chamber cleaner and took all screws and EVERYTHING in carb out to soke in cleaner... now it works like a charm cept for my choke... lol
    I am a diehard Ford/Honda guy.

Previous Trikes:
    1983 Honda Atc 110 (Stolen)
    1985 Yamaha 200N Tri-Moto (Sold to dad)

Dream Trikes:
    1985-1986 Honda 350x

Current Vehicle:
    1993 Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab, 4x4, 3.0 V6, 5 Speed.

Dream Cars:
    1990 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 (Manual)
    2008 Ford Ranger Ext. Cab 4.0 5 Speed (Fully Loaded)

--
    thanks for the suggestions. I suspect the carb as well. I have never heard of sea foam but now that I have reserached it I may try it.
    1985 Honda ATC 200X
    1985 Suzuki ALT 185
    1998 Yamaha YZ-250

--
    Works wonders for me and few other's here , Trike friendly

--
    so the sea foam motor treatment goes in the oil AND the gas??
    1985 Honda ATC 200X
    1985 Suzuki ALT 185
    1998 Yamaha YZ-250

--
    read the directions , i have done both ...Works Perfect

Going to perform this on my 4 stroke soon ... just added a trike to my collection .

mike84bigred is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    i would try cheaking the timing and a valve clearances. my yamaha was doing that and when i rebuilt the top end and set the clearances, it ran great after, well except it burnt oil, but thats a totally diffrent story.
    84'200s (Dad bought new in 84, long gone)
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84' Big Red (Cobra exhaust,good shape) sold in 08
    84' Big Red (Parts Bike, runs good though)sold in 08
    85' 250SX (New plastic, Clark Plastic Gas Tank, Web Cam Camshaft, Cobra Exhaust, Moose Jet Kit, etc..) sold in 2010 and highly regret!!!
    04 Polaris Sportsman (Swapped 400 motor with a 500, Polaris wheels w/Kendra Bearclaws, Moose Fender Flares, Brushguard, Warn Winch)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--

overheating

Check your air filter. If you are running it hard and it starts to crap out, its proly overheating. You want to have your carb gone through, jetted and adjusted. You should run it around 3/4ths when trying to run it wide open on a straight away. Any more then that it will proly over heat. All I can say is make sure you have an inline fuel filter, no crap in your gas tank, your carburator blown out and rebuilt-old parts in nessisary-, jetted, throttle needle on the right setting, and your main jet big enuf. Wide open throttle response is from your main jet, needle setting, and mixture of fuel/air. Good luck! Also you should consider running primeum, it keeps your bike cooler.
    Have fun.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dammit!
    Could be many things. My gut reaction was that the float bowl is possibly emptying out when you hold it WOT and not filling back up quickly enough.

Edit: could be a bad/clogged gas cap vent too.
    First thing Id suspect too. Floats are probably set too low. When you let off to quarter to half throttle does it pick back up and start running again?

Did it run okay before, and it just started doing this?

--
    Yeah it ran great all day. We were out riding for about four hours. On the way back we were on a flat dirt road and I opened it up full throttle for a couple of miles and it started to get no power so I slowed down and downshifted and it still ran like it was starving for fuel with no power. I shut it off and I waited about a minute and pull started it again and it ran great the rest of the way back to the house. I did not run it at full throttle back to the house only about 3/4 throttle.

I was just trying to keep ahead of them 05 and 06 quad couches I was riding with
    1985 Honda ATC 200X
    1985 Suzuki ALT 185
    1998 Yamaha YZ-250

--
    Blog Entries
    Next time it does it, pop the gas cap off and see if it clears right up.

--
    thanks I will try that
    1985 Honda ATC 200X
    1985 Suzuki ALT 185
    1998 Yamaha YZ-250

--
    I added seafoam to the gas and oil and ran it through then I ran it again this weekend and it started bogging right out of the gate at all speeds. I stopped it let it idle and it started running good again for about an hour then it started bogging out again at all throttle positions. I had to limp it home with very little power.

I am suspecting from what I am reading that maybe my float bowl is bad. I already checked the air filter and popped off the gas cap.

Any other suggestions?
    1985 Honda ATC 200X
    1985 Suzuki ALT 185
    1998 Yamaha YZ-250

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //