//ArrowChat Code
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: TRI-Z Q&A with driscoll

--
    Blog Entries
    brett what tires did you run the most? any favorite's and what size were they

--
    hoosirs, but i liked others....cant remember all the names ....the factory honda outsu's were the best, but what they ran and what you could buy, were completly different. honda made it impossible for me to get any left overs.
    speed kills

--
    Driscoll, what did you guys do to lighten the trikes for racing?

--
    wieght wasn't a problem. handling ,hook-up (tires), suspension, and horse-power... in the early days we replaced steel rims with aluminum, and flat track tires for the stock ballooners..
    speed kills

--
    Geez Brett,
    I tell you about this website, then I don't check it out for a few months, come back and your the new celebrity.
    Listen guys, Brett is the real deal. It was great seeing a IV boy do well against the big boys. Then become one of the big boys himself. Brett, Craig Corda, Tracy Dickson & Dean Sundaul dominated desert racing here in D38 in the ATV class back in the 80's first on the 3 Wheelers, then on the Quads. I remember the #33 Tri Z well.
    A few pages back, Brett mentioned he won the Senior class at our Roadrunner Off Road Racing Clubs Euro Scrambles race here in D38. He not only won his class, but finished an impressive 4th overall out of 68 racers. Pretty darn impressive. Once a racer, always a racer. Enjoy yourself on the board Brett, you got a lot of info these guys are just waiting to hear.

See Ya at Camochos,
    Kirk Hester
    VP Roadrunner Off Road Racing Club
    http://groups.msn.com/RoadRunnerOffRoadRacing/
    Just an oldtime desert racer. #1 125 in 1984 in D38 On a 84 Cagiva
    2005 CRF250R
    1996 Honda CR250
    1997 Honda CR80
    89 Cagiva 250WMX
    88 Cagiva 125WMX
    87 Cagiva 125WMX
    2-86 Cagiva 125WMX
    85 Cagiva 125WMX
    83 Honda 200X
    Previous bikes
    71 Honda SL100, 73 Suz TM250, 74 CR125 Honda Elsinore, 76 Suz RM125, 81 Suz RM125,
    82 Suz RM125, 83 Kaw KX125, 84 Cagiva WMX125, 85 KAW KX125

--
    I've been to quite a few of the d38 races and even raced a few in the past on ATV's. There great. I've been by your shop in El Centro numerous times, but have never stopped by because I am usually working, and I work out of San Diego. My uncle's used to desert race, and race local MX / flat track back in the three wheeler days, and one of my uncles was able to keep his factory 1986 250R desert race bike. It's in extremely nice shape and he still rides it today. Its too bad you cannot race trikes in d38, because he told me if you could he'd come out and show his son, who races ATV's, just how to ride. I myself have ridden with him and I can barely keep up on my YFZ, so who knows how fast he really is / was.

You may know them, Last name is Callen.

Here are 2 pictures:

1.) was his race bike that was built in 1982 for the SCORE Baja 500. It's a Yamaha 465 custom that topped out around 90mph simply because the front tire would swell up and rub the exhaust pipe. Of course the bike was totaled when Parnelli Jones Ran him off a cliff.

2.) His last and current race trike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img028.jpg   DSC00010.JPG  
    1975 ATC90 for sale
    1985 ATC250R
    2 X 2004 YFZ 450's
    2006 Yamaha Rhino

--
    Hey Merriman...long time no talk! Do you know what engine mods your uncle runs? Also, where can i find those lights! I've been looking hi and low!
    Rest in peace Rex Carlson

--
    Those particular lights, cibee's are not made anymore. How ever, any 6" DIA light would work. I think his are 55 watts. Not to many engine mods either, of course he has never taken the motor apart from the last time it was prepped in 86, so who knows what lies beneath. Other than that he has a rewound stator for more electrical out put for the lights, a CR carb, UNI or K&N filter, and a Paul Turner pipe / silencer. Most desert bikes were not screamin with HP, since they needed the motor to last more than a few miles.
    1975 ATC90 for sale
    1985 ATC250R
    2 X 2004 YFZ 450's
    2006 Yamaha Rhino

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriman View Post
    I've been to quite a few of the d38 races and even raced a few in the past on ATV's. There great. I've been by your shop in El Centro numerous times, but have never stopped by because I am usually working, and I work out of San Diego. My uncle's used to desert race, and race local MX / flat track back in the three wheeler days, and one of my uncles was able to keep his factory 1986 250R desert race bike. It's in extremely nice shape and he still rides it today. Its too bad you cannot race trikes in d38, because he told me if you could he'd come out and show his son, who races ATV's, just how to ride. I myself have ridden with him and I can barely keep up on my YFZ, so who knows how fast he really is / was.

You may know them, Last name is Callen.

Here are 2 pictures:

2.) His last and current race trike.
    Got any more pics of that R?

--
    hmm...sorta like this?

how cool...same brush guards!
    Rest in peace Rex Carlson

--
    those pics are COE... i know kieth callen and his older bro.. ?? cant remember the name... very cool people.. callen campers are the best!!!i raced against kieth lots of times... tell them i said hi. next time u r in el centro, u need to stop and ask 4 me.. thet would be cool...bring your uncle too...
    speed kills

250rAL is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    The wheels have what looks like red duct tape on them. Is it holding on wheel weights?
    36PJ Keihin
    K&N
    Boyesen reeds
    Magura hydraulic clutch
    Roost Boost
    MSR bars
    OMF swingarm skid
    ITP Beadlocks

Three Wheelin' Since '84

--
    No, Often teams will put duct tape or what ever kind of writing they can on their wheels and other parts for logistical purposes. The duct tape probably has what pit / mile marker those wheels need to be at during the race incase the rider shows up at that certain pit with a flat tire and needs one. Often there are multiple people and pit stops helping out one team, so coordination is key!

Damit, I have quite a few pictures of that bike. I also know where it is, and could get more if needed.
    1975 ATC90 for sale
    1985 ATC250R
    2 X 2004 YFZ 450's
    2006 Yamaha Rhino

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriman View Post

Damit, I have quite a few pictures of that bike. I also know where it is, and could get more if needed.
    Post them up! Or e-mail them to me.

notter@gmail.com

--
    check out this old husky pic. this pic was taken at the LA collesium, (rose bowl).. cool race , especially flyining into the stadium floor.. 100ft+ drop...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BRETT 011.jpg  
    speed kills

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //