//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New start to the 500 project

3leggeddog is offline The sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then Got the holeshot
    --
    the cons are it's tall,and you gotta fab up tripples.we used a 350x set of tripple,with 250r forks.you press the cr stem out,and press it in the 350x tripples.i belive the tripple are still here if you are interested in buyin them.also you have to fab up a rear subframe,and fenders/seat setup.next you must fab up a swinger/rear end.
    Full Walsh CRF 450 hybrid 250r

--
    Its alot of work and honestly you'd probably be happier with the 250r conversion....some of us just can't be happy doing things the logical way.

Thats alright though, I'll get mine the way I like it....eventually lol
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    A 250R frame can be had for under $100 so you can rebuild the 250r anytime you want. you will have much more then $100 in fab work converting a cr500 into a atc. either way you will have a bad ass 500r so get to work!!!
    83 ATC70
    85 ATC70
    85 200x vintage racer
    86 500r
    Lots of parts

My 500R

--
    I know its been a cpl weeks but i finally made some progress the other day and finished the frame. Basically i used jason halls idea that he used to make 3leggeddogs frame with a couple little revisions. I didnt like the look of the hacked up rear cross tube, so i welded a strap from the frame to the bottom shock linkage mount to keep it in its original spot, then cut it from the cross tube and then cut the cross tube right out and then welded in a new one an inch or so back, it works perfectly! There is over a quarter inch clearance to the back of the motor. And there is still plenty of room for the linkage to do its thing. I am hoping by this weekend i will have it up and running, providing nothing bad happens. After a few test runs and i know everything will work i plan on tearing it down for powdercoat. Also how did u guys route your water hoses? There is an extra port on the head that the 250 didnt have, a 2 into 1 deal??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01757.JPG   DSC01758.JPG   DSC01759.JPG   DSC01760.JPG   DSC01761.JPG   DSC01762.JPG  

Mike_Ham_250R is offline Even team-red-rider is cooler then me. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Is that a 450r swinger?
    -Mike

--
    i just capped off one of the top ports. looks good
    83 ATC70
    85 ATC70
    85 200x vintage racer
    86 500r
    Lots of parts

My 500R

3leggeddog is offline The sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then Got the holeshot
    --
    that looks alot better.i think you'll find it a much easier swap now.nice work.

i use a carb vaccum plug with a hose clamp to block off the right side port.everything else should bolt right up.

--
    why would you want to block off the port?
    Rest in peace Rex Carlson

--
    Yeah i guess it dont really need two ports on the head. What r u guys running for sprockets?? And yes that is a 450 swinger that im only temporarilly using until my +8 comes back from the powder shop. I think one of u guys used a 89 yz kick right? Will that work with no mods?? Im having a hard time finding one.

Mike_Ham_250R is offline Even team-red-rider is cooler then me. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffatc250r
    Yeah i guess it dont really need two ports on the head. What r u guys running for sprockets?? And yes that is a 450 swinger that im only temporarilly using until my +8 comes back from the powder shop. I think one of u guys used a 89 yz kick right? Will that work with no mods?? Im having a hard time finding one.
    Aww man, I thought you were gonna use the 450r swinger. I have yet to see a 500r without a huge ass swinger.
    -Mike

--
    Quote Originally Posted by SpudLee
    Does anybody on the forum have an ATCR500R built using a CR500R frame with ATC250R components?

Or does everybody only build an ATC250R based chasiss mod'd to fit a 500R?

I have the option, I would like to go with the CR500R frame. This way I still have the option of putting an ATC250R back together in the future. I would rather tear up the dirtbike frame.

What are the "con's" of using a CR500R frame? What is the best way to combat these "con's"?

Thanks

Here's a mine. Its a CR frame conversion. THis picture really show how much taller it is than the stock 250. Right now its torn down for a rebuild, lowering it as much as I can and cosmetic upgrades and stuff. The 250r mod is honestly much easier in the long run and arguably a better conversion but I'll have the kinks worked out of mine with enough time.

a few weeks after the first build

most current progress pic.

--
    How do you start that thing with that little kicker?
    2-stroke lover

--
    Quote Originally Posted by cr480r
    How do you start that thing with that little kicker?
    I think he has that accu-start *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*.
    -Mike

--
    I have the accustart decompress. Makes it a lot easier...although...I have started it with out the decompress. Its doable just a lot harder. I mainly got the decompress to prevent the kicker from breaking or the cases.

--
    hey jeff.i messed up when i built my kicker,if i woulda slowed down,i could had a sweet one.what i ended up with is a 96 cr250 kicker,ground down to slide in and lock under the pipe.this works very well,but i had to dimple the frame for the kicker to clear.now you can make a spacer to bump the kicker rout on the kicker shaft,but with so much compression,i don't like that idea.you will be putting alot more stress on the kicker,aswell as the shaft.

my first kicker was a yz426/450.the problem i had waas that the circumfrence of the 500 lower pivot knuckle was larger then the inside dim of the yz kicker.so i ran it in the mill at work,and sized it acoordingly.well then the part of the kicker that rest against the knuckle waas so thin it broke.so i bought the cr250 kicker.

now heres where i coulda kicked my self in the ass.if you buy a yz426/450 kicker,and a 96cr250 lower pivot knuckle,they will slide right together,and slide right on the kicker shaft of the 500.the yz kicker will then clear the frame,and fit very nice.i wish i would not of driled out the yz kicker now,but i did not know all this till i got comparing the pile of kicker parts i had,trin to make something work.

the very first kicker i made louis has now.it is a cr250 lower pivot knuckle,with a blaster kicker milled to fit.you can go that route also

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //