//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New start to the 500 project

--

New start to the 500 project

With the advise from several members i aborted the way i was going about installing a cr 500 in an 86 r. Hopefully now im on the right track. Let me know if everything looks ok
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01695.JPG   DSC01696.JPG  

--
    Thats the way to make that baby fit. If you get the right size tubeing you can slide It Inside the stock frame In the front. How did you notch the rear lower frame.

83 ATC 60-R Cr60 converted with Zinger parts.
    83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC 85-R Cr85 engine on shortened 86-R frame.
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer
    440 snowmobile powered custom built.
    87 Cr 500 Converted to Drag racer

--
    That lokks good. keep going on that. I would get some square tube for the frame and get it fit under that big 500 motor. you will thank me for this advise someday. there will be less chance of hitting a rock and cracking the caseing. good luck on it and i will check in and see if you get any farther.
    I'm a wheeler Nut!

--
    hey, you can build a bolt in subframe, bolted to the front mounts and the footpeg bolts. would make it real easy to duplicate, or replace/reengineer if needed.
    one cylinder is not enough!!

--
    much better!!!
    83 ATC70
    85 ATC70
    85 200x vintage racer
    86 500r
    Lots of parts

My 500R

3leggeddog is offline The sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then Got the holeshot
    --
    looks great.can you see how well everything lines up now?your exhaust will fit better,you can change the plug without moving the tank,you can fit the carb onto a stock airbox of you want!looks sweet man.
    Full Walsh CRF 450 hybrid 250r

--
    I never knew there was that much involved in making a 500r. I would just stick to the tecate frame and kx 500 engine, but thats because I suck at welding. But the subframe idea would be nice.
    1986 200x- old school D.I.D wheels, Gold D.I.D X-Ring Chain, Rad MFG. Carrier, PRM Grab Bar, Pro Circuit T-4 custom, Maier plastics, 85x forks, 18x10.5x8 kenda klaw mxr's on itp steels, the money pit never ends

2004 YFZ450 - CP 12.5:1, cam mod , gibson nerfs, hmf pipe, protaper bars + risers, dg bumper/skids, holeshot gncc's on itps, cycra handguard and more stuff to come.

--
    I think ill use jasons advise and use round tubing that will fit the original frame. Im gonna head up to my friend-steel supplier and see what hes got prob tomm. As far as the rear cross frame piece i sliced it on the top and also on the front side towards the bottom, i was thinking of just welding in a piece of angle iron on the inside for extra support, is that what you did jason?? Also what are you guys running for sprockets? Im guessing it would be different or is it?

--
    Another question is i have a 39mm keihin to throw on this, it actually came with the bike but i never rode it since the motor was seized up due to a cooked crank. That baby was pretty bent. I installed a new crank, crank bearings, piston (70 over) and a few other small things. My question is this, is this carb big enough? I had it on my 250 and it actually ran great.

--
    Yes I welded a piece of angle In the lower rear tube. Let me know If you have a hard time finding the tubeing & getting It bent. I might be able to get more of the same stuff I used on 3leggeddog's.

83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer

--
    I was curious of what is used to make the lower mounts? I am about to start a project involving a custom lower engine cradle, and was unsure of how to attach the bottom engine mounts to the frame. Any ideas or pictures? I dont want to do it twice.
    2-stroke lover

--
    Get your engine held In where you want It with the top & rear mounts. Then weld In a piece of tubeing In line with the bottom mounting holes & build little rounded ears off the cross tube, then bolt er up. When I do It I make the tabs & drill the holes, then bolt the tabs to the engine tighten them up & weld them to the tubeing.

83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hall
    Get your engine held In where you want It with the top & rear mounts. Then weld In a piece of tubeing In line with the bottom mounting holes & build little rounded ears off the cross tube, then bolt er up. When I do It I make the tabs & drill the holes, then bolt the tabs to the engine tighten them up & weld them to the tubeing.
    Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I love it.
    2-stroke lover

--
    hey, check out this picture, great idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0d16_1[1].JPG  
    one cylinder is not enough!!

--
    Does anybody on the forum have an ATCR500R built using a CR500R frame with ATC250R components?

Or does everybody only build an ATC250R based chasiss mod'd to fit a 500R?

I have the option, I would like to go with the CR500R frame. This way I still have the option of putting an ATC250R back together in the future. I would rather tear up the dirtbike frame.

What are the "con's" of using a CR500R frame? What is the best way to combat these "con's"?

Thanks

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //