//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha TRI-Z 450

--

Yamaha TRI-Z 450

This will be my Third time building an MX bike. I learned all the downfalls of the stock Z the first time around. I really planned and built a sweet 250R last year, but now I THINK I have it ironed out. I'm going for tons of torque and total modern suspension.

I'll finally be starting this project in a couple weeks. For now i'm doing a bunch of research and planning. The basic set-up is a 2004 YZ450F engine wedged into an 86 Tri-Z frame.

Since pretty much everything on the Z is not up to my standards for MX, we'll be changing everything but the frame. I went with the Tri-Z frame because of the extra tall engine bay to attempt to fit the 450 engine with minimal mods. I also like the fit of the Z as far as ergonomics compared to the R.

I'm going to drop the horrible footpeg design for a set of custom pro-pegs based off the Honda 450R stockers. I'll be losing the rear fuel tank and building some sort of top mount. A steering stabilizer is also on the list this time around.

As far as suspension goes, I picked up a set of YZ125 Inverts which we will be modifying to fit the Z. I'll mount those to some custom steel triples. Using forks that are 4 inches too long is no easy feat. Extensive research and modifications must be made to these to work correctly.

After contemplating rear suspension forever we found that the 06-07 450R rear swingarm is a good fit and has almost identical measurements as a stock Z swingarm. With that conversion i'll not only get the benefits of the lighter aluminum swingarm but a good concentric chain adjustment and better shock selection. I'll be reconstructing a top shock mount and lower linkage mount based on the 450R's geometry and adding a new 450R shock. I hope to make the whole rear end a true bolt on deal.

Here are my starter pictures. The frame will get blasted, cut, welded, modded, and then painted. The forks will also get modifyed and polished.

I'll update this thread as progress moves along.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z project engine.jpg   Z forks.jpg  
    Last edited by Derrick Adams; 07-05-2008 at 10:24 AM.
    2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

Russell 350X is offline Testicles between my toes at the devils backbone Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    Sounds like an awsome project. I'd like to see how it comes out!
    TF 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14!
    Raffa's IceFest 08, 09, 10,11,13!

SAY IT!!!!!BUD LIGHTS AND RED LIGHTS!!!!!!

--
    looks like an awesome project.. hope you gusset the heck out of that frame!! that is a whole lot of motor for that thing... keep the pics coming as you continue to build!!
    1997 Kawasaki Bayou 220
    2004 Yamaha YFZ450
    1985 Honda 250ES
    1982 Honda 185s For Sale

Dusty is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    D glad to see your gonna get on this project...cant wait.....ohh and i need them 86 tripples...lol....let me know
    My Trikes
    1985 ATC 250r (MX Project)
    1985 ATC 70 (with pit bike motor)
    1983 ATC 110
    1984 225dx
    2005 SDG 110 Pit Bike

OTC Tride & True

Past Trikes
    1985 ATC 70
    1984 200s Almost Mint(stolen in 99)have pics of her..
    1983 YTM 200

--
    I am builidng a mx trike mostly new too, I am having a frame made, using 450r pegs, mastercylinder and brake pedal. I gonna get inverted forks(ktm85sx) and have short track tripples made to fit those forks. Pm me if you want the phone number of the place that is doing my frame, as the stock frames really aren't stong enough to put a high-torque motor into, many many many trx250r frames crack to pieces when a yz400-450f motor is transplanted in. I would have a frame built to your specs, thats just me. I have a bad habit of cracking frames to pieces, now I am on my 3rd 250r frame and I am hoping this frame that is being made is gonna be my last frame. I have cracked my 86 200x frame also, that is next on my list for a new frame w/ 250r shocks and swingarm. I'm hoping the 2g's for the frame is money well worth it.

--
    Looks like a nice project Derrick. What made you pick the YZ125 forks? I was wondering about sport bike forks, I don't know what the measurements are but the R6 uses inverts that are fairly short; they might not have enough travel though. Just wondering if you (or anyone) have looked at street bike forks?
    1984 Yamaha YT 60 Tri Zinger(current project)
    1983 Yamaha YTM 200 (rear suspension kit)..... long term project
    2004 BMW R1150R
    1972 Honda CT 70
    2007 Lifan 110

--
    Deathman, I looked into those KTM forks, but there just isn't any where to get fork springs heavy enough for me. Jason Hall and I have really spent alot of time studying all the forks out there and I'm pretty sure this is the route to go. There is unlimited spring selections for these forks (even for my 240lb butt) and any reputable suspension shop can set the valving.

Fox, we looked at Streetbike forks as well, but they simply aren't designed with enough travel or dampening to handle jumping like Deathman and myself do. Thanks for the tip though. I'll let you take it for a spin at TF.

--
    Awsome sounds like a good plan, hope u get it done for trike fest, cause i hope to have mine done also, we can give em a good ol drag race, my 450 runs pretty darn good, have jetted and DR.D exhaust, i know its way faster than my YFZ, now that is a bike but still. How big do u jump?? I know i have got some pretty good air for a trike i thought, which is posted on another thread under Helpin out a new member.

--
    Awsome sounds like a good plan, hope u get it done for trike fest, cause i hope to have mine done also, we can give em a good ol drag race, my 450 runs pretty darn good, have jetted and DR.D exhaust, i know its way faster than my YFZ, now that is a bike but still. How big do u jump?? I know i have got some pretty good air for a trike i thought, which is posted on another thread under Helpin out a new member. By Speedbump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three wheeler conversion 008.jpg  

--
    That looks cool, the bike frame is being used with a custom swinger and custom forks. I might have to do that next if it handles good on mx. Most bike conversions I have seen are too tall for mx.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    This looks like a pretty cool project Derrick! Interested in seeing how it turns out.

--
    Do they make a clutch like that for the 250R? I know, stupid question...
    86 250R
    86 250R
    86 250R
    85 250R
    82 250R
    86 350X
    81 185X
    85 250SX
    87 200X

Sitting on my can can, doing the pan-o-ram..

--
    Yah Buddy!

Sweet! See ya soon!
    RPFLU member and co-owner.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    I picked up my swingarm and rear axle assembly yesterday. The swingarm is an `06 450R unit and the axle is a Lonestar +4 with an antifade lock nut and Billet rotor.

I also ordered my new front and rear fenders. I went with yellow in back and black up front. Kind of like the new 50th ann. edition 450's.

Next thing i'm hunting for is a carrier and rear brake set-up. Then the whole mess is heading for Jason Halls place in about 2 weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z swinger.jpg   Z axle.jpg  

--
    are you using the yfz or yzf 426?
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."-Ernest Hemmingway

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //