//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha TRI-Z 450

--
    So what year was the 426? Are you parting it out? I like the idea of the power plant as you know my other bike is an 01' 426. Was converting the 426bike to much of an unknown to go that route? I've looked but I haven't heard much about the handeling when you convert the bike. The swingarm is an issue to save the rear link and shock. If you custom make triple clamps is the rake need to be adjusted. Mocking up and making a subframe might be the most straight forward fab on the list of things, off the top of my head. Hows the pipe fitting? I don't get the reason for the 450R swinger? Are you refabing the mount location? How bad was the 86Z swinger and link? I keep watching for progress!

--
    Thats alot of questions there.lol. I'm using an `04 450F. The reason I went with the 450R swingarm is because the it pretty much bolts right on, the stock stuff is crap, and the Honda rear suspension geometry is far superior. I will be building a whole new upper shock mount to use the 450R shock. I wanted an aluminum swinger to save on weight and the Honda parts are cheaper to purchase.

There are people that prefer the dirtbike frame conversions out there, but I am building an MX bike and need the added ground clearance of the trike frame.
    Last edited by Derrick Adams; 05-30-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

--
    Sorry, I'm just interested in your project...didn't mean to bombard you bro. Do you still have the rims and hubs from that 01'YZf ? Looking forward to your project Derrick thanks for doing this one.

--
    Picked up the rear tires last night. I'll be running several different sets but these will probably be my main ones. 18x11x10 Fast Trekkers on ITP 190's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z tires.jpg  

--
    This is a sweet project! I'm looking forward to seeing some more .

--
    Well, I finally picked up my last major piece of the puzzle. After scouring the internet for weeks I finally located an engine. I had originally intended to go with a 426 but they are hit and miss lately, so I ended up finding a 2004 YZ450F engine.

This particular engine is fresh from top to bottom. It came out of a SuperMoto bike. Included dyno sheet shows 54hp.

I also picked up the matching carb for it. Still need an ignition set-up.

Last thing I picked up today was a Douglas Red label front rim and hub assembly. Stole that one on ebay! I needed a silver front wheel anyhow so the hub and tire were a bonus.

Really down to the nity grity now. Aside from a rear brake caliper, the rest of the stuff is minor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z engine.jpg   z carb.jpg   Z front wheel.jpg  

--
    i love you
    I got nothing...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 200xcellent
    i love you
    LOL, I love you too little buddy.

--
    r u in the future? its not the 14th lol

--
    wow that thing is gonna be insane dude. Before finding this website I never would have seen the day that people would be building up trikes like this. Looking forward to seeing more pics and also seeing at trikefest. Good luck man
    85 Tecate, 2002 Honda 300EX, 83 & 84 250R, a bunch of honda 4 strokes from 90 to 200cc, a klt 110, ytm 200, polaris 250 cyclone, '05 Roketa 125 (cheap chinese pitbike to beat on), '69 Scrambler 6x6, and a 52 John Deere B (hey its a rowcrop narrow front, that counts right? )
    Trike Fest 06 and 07 Survivor, hoping to make it to 2010

--
    01' 426 was a nada eh? Oh well 54hp sounds good. Now what about a pipe? Have you called HMF yet? You know their local right? Take your #1 plate and asked for a sponcership they might be interested. If I owned them and you walked in with your project and past race history. I think I might let you bring your bike in for a fitting. Just a thought....keep pluggin away man!

--
    Don't think it hasnt crossed my mind. I've got a good friend at Houser too. But, sadly there isn't much market in pipes or swingarms for one-off projects like this.

The owner of the engine said he had FMF exhaust on it. Probably the megabomb pipe. The plan is to pick up a stocker and mock it all up, then swap to an FMF headpipe later. At this point I'm looking toward trying to fit the LTR450 center mount muffler on it. All stainless steel and a good buy on ebay. Generally around $20. Plus it will really provide a good look. Only time will tell if its possible though.

--
    D-

You are getting pretty handy at this type of build. I have got to get together with you (and my checkbook) sometime and get going on a spec built MX trike for my large framed self. I have a pretty good idea, the 84R will kind of be out-leagued going up against you and some of the OTC projects I see coming out - not to mention the "Canadian Sensation" piloting last years #1 plate machine!

Nice work my friend!
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    I just picked up my front tire for the bike. I liked the look and function of the 21" tire I ran on last years bike, but I wanted to get away from the 10" rim because I want to run the big dirtbike brake rotor. Seeing Speedbump do stoppies on his bike last year has me craving that big brake.

Anticipating an 11" front Douglas wheel I did some research and found the closest thing I could. This is a Dunlop 22x7x11. Looks like it will work out just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z front tire.jpg  

--
    Simply NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //