//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: ATC 600X ... '87 XR 600 Conversion Project

--

Update 04/01/07

Yeah,what was I saying a week or so ago on this build being so easy,LOL. Ran into a somewhat snag the other day,before it got sent to get blasted I looked at the subframe from the 350X frame and I just did'nt like it.The xr cradle was about 3 inches outside Diameter narrower than the 350X subframe,to get that to even be close would have required doing bends that I just did'nt agree with ,plus the fenders would be pitched up in the rear.We opted to build our own subframe using even thicker tubing and squared off the down tube and it fell into place.We incorperated the 350X seat grommet assy off the subframe but all fell together pretty nice.Look at the drop in the subframe,before the fenders were mounted on It just did,nt look like it was gonna work ,but the way it sit's now it all blends together pretty nice.The frame got back the other day,have a bit of welding to do and I will be getting the chasis back by this weekend hopefully,so i can get the motor dry fitted in there and get to mounting the footpegs and the dual exhaust.I ain't really excited yet ,but i'd imagine when the motor gets in there ,I'll be jumping all around with entheusiam..So anyways the 350X tank and fenders is a almost perfect fit and should look real close to a 350X when it's all done..More pic's will be on the way next week..
    www.muddogs.org - My New Website

MDR Racing

Trikefest '06 '07 '08 '09 Survivor !!!!
    LONG LIVE SANCHEZ RACING

--

Pic's

My bad forgot to load in some pic's for ya's.I got the tank as forward as I cold get it ,I have just enough clerance to get to the dipstick which is located on the down tube,behind the tree.Started there squared it from there and worked backwards for an almost perfect fit.When all is said and done I will probably have gussets in every corner,I don't want it cracking and twisting like the 350X frame's doo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2364.JPG   100_2367.JPG   100_2358.JPG   100_2365.JPG   100_2370.JPG  

MDR Racing

LONG LIVE SANCHEZ RACING

--
    It looks really good! How hard was it to make the swinger? I am almost sort of surprised that you didn't make a removeable subframe. That would have been cool. So how long is that swinger? This will mostly be a drag trike I'm guessin?
    Rest in peace Rex Carlson

--
    The swinger was'nt that complicated ,it come'sin at 21" and some change,It's not done yet I am gonna box it out for more support yet.As faras building a removeable subframe,I ain't much on that .at this point I am worried about the torque ths motor is goon put out on the rear wheels.Basically this could be used in a couple different applications I would hope,If I would have stretched it out more it would only be good for straight aways But who know's how it's goona act,maybe MX,LOL.

MDR Racing

LONG LIVE SANCHEZ RACING

gizmo_22 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    any more progress yet?

--
    Slow rollin Gizmo,The frame is getting the tack welds finished and ground down and I have parts on order for the motor,I was hoping to have the motor sitting in the frame by now,but not yet..I will have some pic's this weekend of some sort of progress hopefully .

MDR Racing

LONG LIVE SANCHEZ RACING

gizmo_22 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    hope everything goes well with it...... im almost ready to start putting stuff back on my 185 so i know the feeling

--

Update 5-30-07

Well the 600 is finally taking shape,just finishing up on the chasis today ,the motor is dry fitted and it should be coming back apart later today for paint and powdercoat.I will be posting up some pic's as I get to them.I do have to say this was deffinatly the most complicated machine I have ever worked on and I hope when all is said and done, it's worth it..Pic's to come soon!

MDR Racing

LONG LIVE SANCHEZ RACING

hoser is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Paint and powdercoat before testing?

--
    Yeah,I know Hoser,I would rather get it 100% up and running but with TF only being a few week's away I really don't have a choice..I have confidence that she'll be ready ..

MDR Racing

LONG LIVE SANCHEZ RACING

--
    looks and sounds good so far, keep at it.
    My Rides
    1983 ATC200 - U-Haul edition - great mudder - SOLD
    1984 ATC200X - sucked a valve - frame up resto & engine rebuild with performance parts in the works
    1987 Suzuki DR200
    199? Go-ped Sport

--
    Keep us updated on your trike. Always cool to see some different stuff. My 600X is finally together (there's some pics of it earlier in this thread). I ended up taking 6 inches out of the swingarm cause I couldn't ride trails with it. I had it on a dyno, and even running like total crap it put out 40hp (which is a lot lower than I had hoped, but still pretty good). It would hand with my brother's new TRX450R up competition hill at Dumont even running crappy. I'm taking it out to the dunes this weekend and it's running a lot better now, so I hope to spank his TRX. I'll try and get some pics up of the shorter rear end. Thanks,
    -J

--
    Jeddy what you runing for gearing? If all goes good I think 10 days I'll be done..

MDR Racing

LONG LIVE SANCHEZ RACING

--
    I'm running a 14 tooth sprocket up front and a 48 on the rear. It seems to be about right, if anything I'd maybe go to a 50 rear or a 13 front. I had the stock 350X 40 tooth on the rear originally, and it was a pain to ride. I rarely got it past second gear and taking off in first fell like second gear on anything else (even with all the torque). To get the sprocket to work I cut out a ring of 1/4 steel on a CNC plasma that fit inside the stock XR600 sprocket (tightly also, I pushed it together with a press) and had the same ID as the 350X sprocket. Then it was stitch TIG welded together and finally I indexed it on the mill and drilled and countersunk the bolt holes. I was going to make a bolt on adapter, but it was going to require about a 7" blank and would've been a pain to machine, even with the CNC. I was also on a time crunch (I was headed to the dyno the next day). The only problem(s) with the way I did it were that the welds can potentially break, the sprocket was slightly tacoed from the welding head (though not bad), and to change the sprocket I have to remove the entire axle. I can try and get some pics of it. Good luck,
    -Jed

--
    Here are some pics, I had some better ones but couldn't get them off the camera for some reason.
    -Jed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-016S.JPG   MVC-019S.JPG   MVC-020S.JPG   MVC-021S.JPG  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //