//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tecate engine swap & build thread

--
    Pictures coming very soon... Nothin special to see, but I am very excited to start building finally... Been a whole year without a trike...The engine cradle is together(minus footpegs)and I still need to do a quick mock-up so brackets can be built for the fuel tank and pipe... then its time for paint...
    2-stroke lover

--
    Well I think everything is going to work fairly well... Here is my first mock-up...

2-stroke lover

--
    Now that is too cool. This bike is going to be fast and a great trail rider!

I want one!

So thats just the KDX cradle on the T3 frame?

--
    A little cut and twist on the last two sections of the headpipe and you could have it out of frame and save the airbox.

That tank will let you get full lock?? Looks like it will at least. Nuts!

This going to be a trail bike or?

--
    Here are a couple more pics... The kdx cradle lets me use the factory lower and front engine mounts as well as the lower pipe mount... The silencer stinger will have to be custom, but the pipe fits as is... the radiator hoses will even connect...with one splice(good place for a inline cooler or temp guage ) the tecate shifter and kicker are going to work... I may use a different elbow for the rear coolant hose so I can use the original tecate intake manifold as clearance is kinda tight for a airfilter with this one...

2-stroke lover

--
    I've seen some trails from Oregon, very similar to the trails we have here. Wish I had the sand you guys have!

So this machine will run the big KDX/Tecate flywheel?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenMachine View Post
    I've seen some trails from Oregon, very similar to the trails we have here. Wish I had the sand you guys have!

So this machine will run the big KDX/Tecate flywheel?
    Yes...definately... I wanted a headlight so I can play at night... I am going to run a '88kx cylinder because the bore and powervalves in the kdx cylinder were wasted. And I am running the kx head because it has the head stay on the rear like the tecate...(the kdx was a perimeter frame) The tecate upper mounts could work with a spacer and one slotted hole, but I am just going to build new ones...According to my research the '88 kx had good low-mid powerband.. so It should work well with the kdx ignition and wider trans ratios... I need to put a connecting rod in the bottom end(I already have it), but besides that I have everything for the motor... New gaskets, seals, piston, reeds, p-valves are like new... I am pretty stoked...
    Last edited by cr480r; 12-29-2014 at 01:43 PM.
    2-stroke lover

--
    Cool. Am I right when I say you can get 310 kits for the motor combo you have in there now? THAT would be the dogs nuts IMO. Such a great woods motor.

You realize also now that KDX skidplates should work for you, possibly bolt right on.

Man I'm jealous. haha

--
    The tank mounts, upper exhaust tab, footpegs, and new steering stops are finished.... no pics yet as I didnt have my camera handy... My newest decision to make is rather or not to use the tecate rear suspension.... If I do use the original suspension... I would need to buy all new linkage bearings and also rebuild the rear shock... So I am strongly considering grafting on the shock and linkage from the donor bike(which is in great condition)... The suspension part of the swap would be fairly straight forward, but it would require buiding a custom intake tract... Basically, I would have to slighly modify the frame to allow use of the original carb boot from the bike, then use the original intake boot from the bike to get around the shock to a custom made airbox that was small enough to fit inside the tecate sub-frame... money is tight for me right now so I am leaning towards using what I already have and going the custom route... What do you guys think?
    Last edited by cr480r; 06-01-2007 at 03:56 AM.
    2-stroke lover

--
    The kdx shock would provide 16 way adjustable compression, and 16 way adjustable re-bound settings... the thing I am leary of is the original 12.2" of travel the kdx has...My +4" tecate swingarm is about 1.5" shorter than the bike swinger so it should reduce the travel some... Is that too much suspension travel for a trike?
    2-stroke lover

--
    Thats only approx 3 inches more then stock.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenMachine View Post
    Thats only approx 3 inches more then stock.
    Think its worth doing? It would save me some money...
    2-stroke lover

--
    If you can handle it yeah but I think I'd be ebaying the 300EX shock and do the linkage bearings as money allowed.

--
    i think i would put on the worn stock stuff until i could afford to go custom or rebuilt. the worn stuff is free and ready to bolt on!!!!

nice conversion!!!!!!!!!!!!
    83 ATC70
    85 ATC70
    85 200x vintage racer
    86 500r
    Lots of parts

My 500R

--
    Any progress pics? Going to stuff the K5 motor in mine.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //