//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tecate engine swap & build thread

--
    Pictures coming soon... I decided to use the rear shock and linkage from the donor bike after all... I think its gonna work out pretty sweet...It's coming together rather well... Even though it probably wont show in pics...My buddy has really been helping me out with this build... He has abilities and tools that allow me to make this project fun... So far I am using parts from a '84 KXT, '85 KXT, '85 KX250, '86 KDX200, '87 Mojave, '88 KX250, and a '91 KDX250... This machine definately has green roots....
    2-stroke lover

--
    Frankentrike, oh so cool.
    My Feedback 85 TECATE 500 08 Honda 450R

--
    damn didnt even see this thread....awesome project your doing cr....you should have some serious sterring with that tank on there. keep us posted.
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate - kx cylinder, kx ignition, bassani headpipe, answer silencer, v-force reeds, 38mm airstyker carb, +2 franks swinger, raptor rear shock.

1996 YSF240 Blaster - maxxed out!!!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SH-T, what a ride!"

--
    Thanks scoot.. I havent had a chance to work on the trike or get pics yet... I had been busy getting my quadracer 250 ready for labor day weekend... I ended up scattering my engine on the first day of my 3 day dune trip... it was running great too... Anyways, the trike does have quite abit more steering than stock, in fact i have to figure out how to route the radiator hoses so they dont kink when turning hard...
    2-stroke lover

--
    Well I dont have any progress photos yet, and I dont have access to the bike til my buddy gets back from hunting.... But I am still trying to get things to come together soon... After a closer inspection of my '88 cylinder I have decided not to use it... The plating is starting to flake, and the power valves are showing some wear on the gears(and they are no longer available new).... So I have purchased a '98 KX250 topend and crank to retrofit into my cases... should be quite a lil ripper.. I hope it works well with my pipe.
    Last edited by cr480r; 12-29-2014 at 01:45 PM.
    2-stroke lover

--
    Well... I have a nice lil blister on my index finger from spray painting on my frame... So... I should finally have something to show you guys tonight or tomorrow... I can tell you now that she won't be very pretty... I am building it to actually ride(and I am quite hard on equipment). But at least you guys will know what I have been working on all this time... I am hoping for it to make its maiden voyage to the sand by sunday...we'll see... I still have a complete motor to assemble and its currently sitting as just a bare frame...
    Last edited by cr480r; 12-29-2014 at 01:45 PM.
    2-stroke lover

--
    Here are some pictures of my completed frame... Its a little dusty from sweeping the floor, and I got my fingerprints all over it when I was puting the new headset races in.... I am excited.. now the fun begins....

Last edited by cr480r; 11-22-2007 at 09:22 AM.
    2-stroke lover

--
    Wow, liking the progress on the frame. Looks like you have done your homework on this one. Or, lots of learning along the way. Either way it looks like it's going to be a nice custom build, that's sure to be one of a kind. Any rough date for completion? Keep us posted.

--
    That linkage setup looks like it went on easy enough. Too cool!

Progress?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenMachine View Post
    That linkage setup looks like it went on easy enough. Too cool!
    Yes the linkage went on very easy. Its actually installed incorrectly in the pics... I just centered the engine, and re-located the lower tabs... The hardest part was building the upper shock mount. For the swingarm part of the linkage I stole the bearings and seals from the KDX swinger and made a steel tube on a lathe to house them. Then my buddy welded the tube onto the tecate swingarm in the appropriate location...

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenMachine View Post
    Progress?
    Yeah some... It runs now, but I havent ridden it yet... I am waiting on some rear hubs, and I need to swap some tires and wheels around. I also still need to make a seat cover for custom seat that I had to make to work with my gas tank. After I ride it(hopefully everything works)I will start working on the finishing touches such as: new swingarm bearings, front wheel bearing dust seals, front brake caliper bracket, rear bumper,rear brake pads, better chain slider, new front sprocket, new plastics, headlight/taillight, fork oil, etc
    Last edited by cr480r; 01-24-2008 at 08:24 AM.
    2-stroke lover

--
    Piccies piccies Pix Pix Pix :-P
    My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    Here are some progress pics for ya guys... I am nearly ready to test ride it... I am missing lug nuts, front brakes, and a seat(I can test without)... I need to do some customizing for the seat to work with my fuel tank... My fenders are obviously complete junk, i just set them on to give a general idea... I hope to have a nice set of white fenders from thetecatekid in the near future...

My forks appear bent in this photo for some reason... they arent...

Custom intake needed due to the lack of clearance... it seals to the carb with an o-ring...

Last edited by cr480r; 12-29-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    2-stroke lover

--
    Very impressed here! Great work!

That stance sure looks agressive sitting there.

Awsome!

--
    Thanks BGM... I hope it performs well... my main concern is the gearing...
    2-stroke lover

--
    For the fenders, the next time I buy some it will be stock style Blaster fenders. Pretty sure you can get them in green and they are square to match the chunky square look of the T3. Not to mention the clearance for a rearward kickstart.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //