//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 340dx project- MAIDEN VOYAGE!!!!

--

340dx project- MAIDEN VOYAGE!!!!

hey guys, I've been working on puttin a 2 stroke 340 twin from an old sled into this 225dx frame. I stretched the frame 4" to make some more room and i had to butcher the left side of the frame so the secondary clutch can sit nice and close.
    Now just mainly gotta finish welding/strenghthening up the frame and fabricate the swingarm and the rest of the rear end. How much longer u guys think i should make the swinger than the stock one? would +4 be over doin it? Keep in mind this is no 670 rotax lol.... just a little single carb 340. Im still looking for a chain drive rear axle and carrier with a mechanical brake setup but other than that i have about everything i need.

sorry for the low quality pics, hopefully i can get them to work this is the 1st time iv'e posted any.

Last edited by hondahaulic; 06-04-2007 at 11:20 PM.

--
    That looks crazy as hell! How are you going to set up the drive shaft???

--
    its actually gonna be chain drive now. im looking for a chain drive axle and carrier and ill put a sprocket on the jackshaft so the chain runs to the back just like any chain drive trike.

--
    I've been tryin to figure out how to run the pipe. The header points to the right side off of the motor, and then theres a small pipe about 1' that goes to the actual pipe from there. (you can see both pieces at the bottom of the first pic) Can i run the motor without the small connecting pipe and just hook the large pipe directly to the manifold or will that change how the pipe works?

--
    I've got a good portion of the fabrication done now. I got the lower frame rails welded in and the motor and clutches fit right. Mainly i just have to weld some gussets in the frame, cut out a notch and re-enforce it so theres room for the carb, and build the swinger and i should be about done with the fabricating.

--
    nice man. im building a crazy kart if it dont work out im putting the 440cc l/c sled engine on a 250R frame. man let me know how fast yours is. i may scrap my kart and jump to a trike.
    down to parts because i no longer have a place to ride trikes.

GIT IT RAAAGGGGG !!!!

--
    hey, havent updated this project for a while so heres a couple quick pics. Ive still been workin on it off and on and hopefully ill start finishing it up sometime soon.

the main thing left to do is the rear end. I should be getting the axle in a day or two, and then i can build the swinger. How much longer do you guys think i should make the swinger than the stock one? It shouldn't need alot because the frame is already extended 4". I dont want it to be wheelie crazie but i dont want the frontend glued to the ground either.

--
    Dont get you shoe laces in that belt. lol
    How much HP does that engine put out?

--
    i would a at least a plus 4 swinger man. them sled engines have some snap to them. by the way man it looking good. make sure you keep us updated.

GIT IT RAAAGGGGG !!!!

gizmo_22 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    thats gonna be insane, is it for dragin or trail ridin, id try to mount the exhaust at the rear and get a muffler shop to bend some pipe for ya, less things to hit trees... but ill bet its gonna move

--
    gizmo- its gonna be for mostly dragin. i would mount the muffler further back and run a pipe to it, but since its a 2 stroke im pretty sure that would screw up the whole back-pressure thing.

right now for the swinger i think im gonna try to make it adjustable from +2 to +4". This should probably be enough since the frame is already extended 4". Anybody know of a common weak spot on a 225dx frame?

--
    my dx has a weak spot rite on the bottom of it. i would put a heavy duty skid plate.

GIT IT RAAAGGGGG !!!!

--
    yea the bottom of the frame should be good, theres a nice solid steel plate welded in that the motor bolts to and it doubles as a skid plate. The pegs should be stronger than stock too.

--
    well i got a few smaller things done on it today. The wireing is all done except the brake light switch now and i got a throttle cable hooked up, and i welded on a bracket to hold the foot brake cable. Still waitin on that axle, hopefully its here in a few days. I still cant decide if i want a +2 or +4 swingarm... you guys think it would be a good idea to make the swinger adjustable from +2 to +4?

--
    well i have the rear end mostly done now, and a few other things. Heres some pics, sorry my cam doesn't work worth a crap when its indoors.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //