//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors vs. 400ex

--

Raptors vs. 400ex

Let's be real hear. By the time you buy one of these mosters you already have over a $1000 more into it than a 400ex. If you put that money into the 400ex you could have a real nice 440ex that could beat a Raptor no problem. And by the time you spend the money into a Raptor to get it to handle good like the 400EX you could have made a 500ex that would destroy a Raptor. What's the point?
    '02 Honda 416ex - A seasoned blend of 11 herbs and spices
    '04 Honda Recon - The yard machine and snow plow
    '88 Honda CR250R - Another chapter in my torrid all terrain affair

--
    The point is you wouldnt be on a Honda!!!! Someday Ill build my quad Z and unload this TRX250R!

--
    I'm with TimSr.

And by the time you spend the money into a Raptor to get it to handle good like the 400EX you could have made a 500ex that would destroy a Raptor
    Yeah, but what are you going to do when the next guy wants to race you and your using duct tape to keep your engine together? :-P

I've been down the big bore road and I'm not going there again unless I win the lottery and can affort my own pit crew.

The most I'm ever going to do to the raptor is pipe it (done) and maybe drop a cam and springs in.

Keep the motor reliable and go with handling mods only! That's the way to go! Write that down you'll want to keep that in mind when your fixing that air cooled honda motor. And if you think the 440 is reliable I'll bet ya a new piston for it if it lasts a good riding year, not the take it out once every couple months that you do. I've have many 440 owners tell me personally it is a big waste of money!

--
    :arrow: I want to add one more thing. I know you where excited that your piped and jetted ex hung with the stock raptor but the raptor wasn't having it's best day either. I was running a dial-a-junk (dial-a-jet) without rejetting and was running way rich. She puffed a couple times during the race so were just gonna have to have a rematch at the Badlands.

--
    Nice try Craptor boy! Why is is everytime I make someone machine look bad they have exucuses? Sad.

There is nothing unreliable about a 440 kit. They were proven strong before the 400EX was even born. Mickey Dunlap has a 500ex in pro-productin class that doesn't require duct tape.

Hey Craptor boy! Why did a 260cc smaller motor keep up to you? If Honda had a 660 it sure wouldn't be that pokey. lol Oh yeah you've got that dial a schmuck!

wow "craptor boy"! your really graspin for straws!

just because it is a 660 doesn't mean it will go 100mph. For future reference besides Hp there's this other little factor to motor's called "torque".

I think the only one that looked bad was you. i was runnin bone stock and you had to pipe, jet and cam just to play with the big dog.

Mickey Dunlap...ROFLMFAO! Suuure...you get that 500 kit from "One Lap Dunlap" and while your fixing your quad I'll still be riding my stock bore and sleeve.

If Honda had the B@LLS to make a decent quad again maybe you wouldn't be riding that "pokey" quad. if anything you should be held accountable for giving Honda a reason to keep making that EX-Mini bike!

BTW, the dial-a-jet would be a accessory if you change altitudes frequently and jet accordingly for it.

--

Original

Hey, Oldfoolin! I was inspired by your original post of "craptor boy" so here ya go!

--
    How could someone possibly look bad with 260cc less than you that's keeping up with you? That's just crazy. I never camed my motor either. All I did was install a slip-on, a K&N and jet it. That's all I had to do to play with the big bad Craptor.

Who had to get shocks already because thier over weight quad was bottoming out all over the place? Who had to replace thier axle? Who wants a wider front end? If you want to say you have the big cc's get a Yamaha, you want the best handling get a Honda.

How could Yamaha screw up so bad with 660cc's Craptor Boy?

--
    HAHAHA! What a joke! cry me a river! I didn't HAVE to do any of this stuff I just like to mod my chit! Why don't you go cry to the pro's about them having $25,000 custom made quads and that you want to race your stock ex in the pro-class?

Ya! big overweight quad...hmmm..it's like 25lbs heavier than a 400ex. A foolblunderedEX will weigh that much more when I flush my crapter on it!

--
    Got to do better than that Craptor boy! Who puts a stock ex up in the pros? By the way let's not forget what company these pros are basing there geometry from, HONDA.

--
    yeah, I NEED to do better than that!? HA!

I never said that the raptor handled better than a 400ex but it handles awesome for my purposes. Like I said in a previous topic I don't really care if I lose a second or two in a corner I will never race professionally to where that would even make a difference. I bet your little rice burner handles well too but if you drop a 350 in there it would be a different story. LOL

I thought I told you to write down what I posted before; It's better to keep your engine close to stock and work on the handling if you want an everyday reliable ridable quad. Also, you are obviosly suffering from ADD and forgot that there is more to 660cc's than HP it's called "TORQUE"!

So what else do you got besides your one trick pony?

--
    After some research I've found a picture of Honda's R&D engineers that designed the 400ex!

They seem to be the brightest engineers to ever grace Honda.

http://ehowa.com/pic/headoftheclass.jpg

--
    The funny thing is, you could spend thousands on your big bore kits to beat a STOCK Raptor, but all he has to do is spend a few hundred on a high comp piston and a cam to put himself right back on top+ the pipe and jetting he already has. I don't know who or where you guys are racing, but I have never seen a 400EX come even close to beating the following machines: Banshee (what can?), Raptor, DS 650, and yes the Z 400. The first time I ever saw the Z 400 was when it was smoking a 400EX up the hill. If you are racing in areas where traction is imperitive,and the best rider is on the EX and the wosrt on the other machine, then I can see it. But lets not kid ourselves, at 26 hp, the 400EX is NOT fast and consistantly will not beat any of these other machines. I like the 400, it is one of my favorite machines, but it's not fast
    Big Darn Mike is a registered trademark. Anyone trying to pose will be dealt with in an orderly Big Darn Mike fashion. J/K (Big Darn Mike is moderately sized at best)
    2002 Banshee with LRD pipes
    1986 350X (sold, not forgotten)
    1971 Ford F250 4x4 with 700+ hp 557 ci big block on the way
    1995 f250 4x4 460 (daily driver)

350Xrider is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Uphill 400ex's suck balls. They do not have hardly any torque either. I don't care what anybody says a 350X will beat a 400ex, especially uphill, on a 350X uphill you will be in 3rd and the 400ex in second wide open and there is a good chance of having to hit first. I mean the 400ex is kind of disapointing to me, they have a 16 year old 350X that is just as advanced as a brand new 2002 400ex and will out do and is more all around more sensible to own. I mean the gearing is just to high on the 400ex. The 350X has everything the 400 has except a dry sump oiling system which I think is stupid, because then you just have even more oil lines running to possibly catch on sticks and such. I could go on and on but I won't. I also am not putting down the 400ex, but it just isn't up to par, I mean reliability and fun wise it is a great bike, but in stock and even slightly modified form it is a joke for a bike of that size.
    ATC350X,ATC70,1991 RM 250,XR500,TM400,TS400,Foreman400 4X4,Polaris 425 Magnum,ATC 90, 1982 175,1973 Honda Trail 90,1980 CR80,1981 CR80,

--
    I haven't ridden a 400ex but I thought they were geared low I know they top out around 60, because I've beaten one top end on a kawasaki 650 vtwin 4x4 hehe

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //