//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I need feedback on amsoil 2stroke oil

--

Question I need feedback on amsoil 2stroke oil

I just came from an amsoil distributor down the road. He had 2 types of 2 stroke oil. One of them was i believe HP which mixes at 50:1. The one he recomends highly and uses exclusively on his snowmibiles is the Saber 100:1 mix. He stands by the 100:1 and run the engines a little leaner. He mentioned, running too much oil is worse on an engine rather that running a little leaner. Have you used this oil before, or have heard of anyone using this oil before. I would like to hear your views on this.

Yamaha YTM200K 1983 (1)
    Honda ATC200 1980 (1)
    Honda ATC200 1983 (1)
    Honda ATC200M 1984 (1) No Motor Yet!
    Honda 250R 1985 (1)
    Yamaha 2005 660 Grizzly Special Edition

ColeTrickle is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I use the amsoil high performance 2-cycle injector oil mixed at about 50:1. At first I was scared to run it that lean in my Tri-Z but after a few trips I like it. It mixes with the gas quickly and has a good color to it. It also burns good. I have had the top end apart since I started using it and it looked good. (not a bunch of oil on everything and no lean scars)

--
    I run Amsoil Interceptor at 50:1 and have had no problems. Going to tear into my motor tomorrow and I'll snap a pic of the piston to show how clean it burns. I've ran HP Injector 50:1 for an entire summer without incident as well.

If I could get my hands on it locally I'd run Klotz Supertechniplate or preferably Benol Castor oil. Really want to try those out.

--
    If you to to any site that discusses local MX racing youll find that probably more than half of them not only run Amsoil, but are Amsoil dealers. Its top quality oil. Personally I feel the Blue Marble is superior, but I am biased.

--
    i use Amsoil interceptor excellent exhaust valve performance blah blah blah @ 40;1 sometimes use PJ1 it decent too
    '85 ATC 250R
    FMF Fatty & Power Core
    Boyesen Rad Valve
    38 PWK A/S
    K&N w/PF (next purchase)
    LSR +4 Axcaliber axle
    LSR Duel row bearing carrier
    DuraBlue Anti-fade (to be installed)
    13/36 sprockets
    '85 ATC 250R
    Parts trike (maybe future build?)

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    I've got to interject here...a leaner oil mixture IS NOT better for the engine! Its better for your wallet cause you don't have to use as much. The late Gordon Jennings, a renown 2 stroke guru did a dyno test and found that engines made MORE HP up to 8:1 ratio before it got near impossible to keep running at low RPM. Heres why:

More lubrication, less friction.
    Thicker mixture, better ring seal.
    Higher BTU burn then gasoline.

More interesting information located here: http://www.planetsand.com/forums/ubb...page/0/fpart/1

If you read through that thread, you will also discover that although some synthetic oils like Amsoil, Klotz, etc have a better lubricity in tests, that the refined castor oils (Blue Marble, 927, blendzall, etc) leave a residue after they have been burnt that further lubricates things (think of something similar to graphite) that the synthetic oils do not have.

--
    I used to run saber at 70:1 in my GasGas Wild300 . It ran like a scalled cat!!
    Methanol, the nectar of the gods!

--
    Billy your talking about those ratios with castors/mineral oils, not synthetic just so ppl don't get confused. I would/will run Benol Castor if I could get it easily I agree but synthetic does protect your motor. I think the average rider can get away with a good quality synthetic since they aren't really tuning motors for max hp.

crackshot is offline Worthless, would be a vast improvement. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I run Amsoil Dominator 40:1 in my R.
    Supposed to be for high RPM engines, higher cling strength and better ring seal.
    Smokes a bit during start up and after it's "cleaned out" and warmed up, the smoke is nearly zero.
    I have removed exhaust pipe doing some other maintenance and looked in exhaust flange area and everything was still shiny and no carbon build up.
    1980 110
    1982 250R
    1985 200s
    1985 250R
    1985 350X
    Parting out...
    1983 250R
    1984 185s
    PM me for parts

--
    Amsoil, blue marbel etc etc etc - all good oils I'm sure. I don't own 2 strokes anymore but for years I ran either Motul, Bel-ray or Golden Spectro in my ATC250R, KDX200, CR250 and numerous other 2 strokes I owned in the past. I beat them all, ran them hard and when I was younger I rode every day that I could.

I never seized a 2 stroke but I did wear a couple of them out. I never had a carbon build up problem or excessive smoke unless I went to the gas station and bought whatever 2 stroke oil no name brand that they had. I pretty much always mixed the bottle to 5 gallons of super unleaded gas or followed the manufacturers mixing guide.

While were on the oil subject I will simply add that I have always run plain Valvoline or similar oil in my fourstrokes too. I never lost a clutch or wore out a motor unless it had alot of hours on it.

Until I find something that really impresses me, I'll just stick to the same stuff I've done for the 25 years I have been riding. I do maintain my machines very well and I'm meticulous when I tear something apart and I do my best to make sure I get it right.

To me, oil is oil........
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod 110 View Post
    I used to run saber at 70:1 in my GasGas Wild300 . It ran like a scalled cat!!

On the bottle, It says you can run down to 50:1 mixture with the saber. Did you have any bad results mechanically running at 70:1.

I used to fly and compete with radio control aerobatics about 10 years ago. At one point, I was mixing my own methanol with castor oil. I wasn't too crazy about the varnish it left behind inside and outside of the engines. I also tried Klotz for a while, I preffered that better until it got to be too much storing a 55 gallon drum of methanol in my garage as well as a few gallons of nitro. I really didn't like the idea of that, but thats how much fuel I would go through in a summer. That was a lot of practice considering I only use 12oz. of fuel each flight. Do the math.

I'll try a bottle of saber and then a bottle of HP. I don't mind spending money on quality oil as long as my engines keep together.
    A few dollars every week is better than a few hundred every month.

Thanks guys

Yamaha YTM200K 1983 (1)
    Honda ATC200 1980 (1)
    Honda ATC200 1983 (1)
    Honda ATC200M 1984 (1) No Motor Yet!
    Honda 250R 1985 (1)
    Yamaha 2005 660 Grizzly Special Edition

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    I've got to interject here...a leaner oil mixture IS NOT better for the engine! Its better for your wallet cause you don't have to use as much. The late Gordon Jennings, a renown 2 stroke guru did a dyno test and found that engines made MORE HP up to 8:1 ratio before it got near impossible to keep running at low RPM. Heres why:

More lubrication, less friction.
    Thicker mixture, better ring seal.
    Higher BTU burn then gasoline.

More interesting information located here: http://www.planetsand.com/forums/ubb...page/0/fpart/1

If you read through that thread, you will also discover that although some synthetic oils like Amsoil, Klotz, etc have a better lubricity in tests, that the refined castor oils (Blue Marble, 927, blendzall, etc) leave a residue after they have been burnt that further lubricates things (think of something similar to graphite) that the synthetic oils do not have.

Agreed....People always thinking I am crazy for running 20:1 in my 250r's but they still have the original crankshaft/bearings and still solid runners.

4 strokes have the luxury of having a continuous "bath" of oil. Why are we trying to take away oil from a 2 stroke? Repeated dyno tests always show that more oil gives more power to a point so dont be stingy with that stuff
    4 Strokes are NOT the wave of the future!

--
    I used off the shelf 2 cycle oil for years in my chainsaws... one day I ran out and everything was ready to cut. Quad hooked to trailer, log splitter running, yadda, yadda, yadda. I remembered that I had some amsoil over in the shop where I keep the sleds. (the dark stuff... it's HP injector now, can't remember what they called it them) Poured 1 pop can (12 oz) in 6 gallons of high test gas. That saw IMMEDIATELY ran better than day that it EVER had run before. Higher revs, more power, idled better... it was like someone mounted a baby turbo on that thing.. I've used that same blend and product ever since. To be honest, I never really noticed a huge difference in the sleds, but that day running that saw made me a believer.

I was at a garage sale last year and bought like 5 gal. of regular 2 cycle oil and a bunch of Amsoil stuff for $10... I knew I wanted the Amsoil, but the 2 cycle went right into the old Dodge / Cummins one gallon at a time! Can't beat "free" diesel fuel! (Especially at these prices

--
    Blog Entries
    AmsOil.....DOMINATOR

crackshot is offline Worthless, would be a vast improvement. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I can say this about the Dominator at 40:1 also, I have NEVER fouled a plug using it. I did finally have to replace the spark plug after about 6 months because it was taking about 6 kicks to get it started instead of the usual 2 kicks.
    1980 110
    1982 250R
    1985 200s
    1985 250R
    1985 350X
    Parting out...
    1983 250R
    1984 185s
    PM me for parts

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //