//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polaris 350 4x4 quad - is it worth it? ((((PICS))))

--

Polaris 350 4x4 quad - is it worth it? ((((PICS))))

I recently got done working on our neighbor's 1991 Polaris 4 wheeler. Its a 350 liquid cooled 2 stroke, 4x4, has reverse, hi, low, etc. Well anyway, he said when I got done working on it, I could play around on it for a little while. I had too much fun on it, and now I want one.

One of my friends has this exact same machine, they forgot to add oil, only had water in the radiator, and ended up blowing the motor. They took it in to get rebuilt, and after 2 years the guy never did the work, and on top of that lost nearly half the motor. They want 150$ for it, it basicly needs the bottom end of the motor. Has new rear shock, chain/sprockets, and a few small things. The other guy said he had a lower end for the machine I could have free. So I could basicly have a whole 4x4 quad for 150$, engine rebuild, and some time.

I like the fact that its a 2 stroke (I like them better over 4 strokes), but its still fit out to be a utility quad. Would it be worth buying and peiceing a few engines together to make a decent machine? It wont replace my trike, but seeing as I only have one runner right now, it would be nice to have a backup.

One other thing, nobody can decide on what it is. It is a 1991 liquid cooled 350, plastics are grey, seat and tank shrouds are red, and it has racks. Does anybody know exactly what this thing is? Thanks in advance for the help guys!!

-Nick
    Last edited by Nick_R_23; 06-14-2007 at 03:17 AM.
    1988 Chevy Silverado 5.9L Cummins : 1986 ATC250R : 2012 Polaris RZR 570 :

98% of Americans say 'OH $#!T!!' before going into a ditch on an icy road. The other 2% are Alaskans, and they say 'Here, hold my beer and watch this!!'

400exguy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    $150 and a few man hours and you have a running quad? If thats the case I would jump all over it.

tbirdscott is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I'd have to say that in my experience polaris quads are the most undependable high maintenance quads out there, but for the price even I would drag it home. Part it out, the parts sell pretty well.

Scott

--
    It's an Xplorer I think. They're ok, a couple people have them here in Nome, and most of them don't work (gee, I wonder why...), but I've driven a few that work. They're kinda slow and the automatic tranny responds pretty slow to the engine, but I suppose for a daily driver or hauling stuff or a beater quad it'd be ok. Just don't expect to be racing around or something
    I'm back in the USSR...

--
    I owned 1, it is called a 350L. Mine was a 2x4, it was damn quick for a huge utilty machine. The main problem with them is they will run forever with tons and tons of piston wear. This in turn finally causes the piston to break the skirt off then the skirt goes down and breaks the lower case when it gets sqeezed between the crank and the case. I would buy it in a heart beat, I took the racks off of mine trimmed the fenders and gave it a sportier look.

Don't let the Polaris haters scare you away from it. I'll race anyone anytime on my Polaris.
    I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I didn't have the ability!

--
    Thanks guys, I think Ill go ahead and get it. Its not the best condition , but I think itll be a fun machine to play around on.

They're kinda slow and the automatic tranny responds pretty slow to the engine
    Not the one I drove...I punched it, and it instantly dug a hole in my driveway...needless to say it pretty much hauled.

-Nick

98% of Americans say 'OH $#!T!!' before going into a ditch on an icy road. The other 2% are Alaskans, and they say 'Here, hold my beer and watch this!!'

--
    my dad has a 93 350l and i would say its a pretty nice machine, and it goes pretty good way nicer to ride and whip threw the woods than my uncles honda 3004x4 the hondas may run longer and hold value but the brakes and the handleing are soo much better on the polaris plus the ondemand 4x4 is nice!!!
    NO 3 WHEELERS CURRENTLY SOLD THEM ALL
    02 GSXR 240 kit STRECHED
    03 BANSHEE 421 CUB
    07 LTR 450
    08 RZR
    05 f7
    07 KLX 110
    670 ho skidoo powered banshee
    1985 nacs kx 80 race quad

--
    Sounds like an Xplorer. Good bike for the day, and still can get you through most trails with ease.

For 150$ if the bike is mostly there, I would say get it. If you can get it running reasonable you have yourself a nice cheap quad for little money/labor involved.

--
    Now that I think about it, I remember somebody saying this thing might be a trail boss?

Im probably gonna go pick it up later today, Ill take some pics and let you guys fight over what it is.

-Nick

--
    Yeh you best do that LOL.
    I'm back in the USSR...

--
    I'm sure Trail Boss is the entire series of machien and inside that series you have machines such as the: 350L 2x4, 350L 4x4, 250 4x4, etc.
    I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I didn't have the ability!

--
    Alright, I went and picked it up tonight, payed 100$ for it. It has new shocks all around, new chain and sprockets also. Its quite the pile of parts, but its more there than I remembered it being.

Auto X project, Dad's Big Red, and my brother's 185S in the background.

Theres 2 more boxes with just as many parts behind the 2 up front, you just cant see them.

Look at those ITP's!!! Worth the 100$ I payed alone.

I took these pics at 11:15pm. It'll still be that bright for another 4 hours, Alaska summers ROCK!!!

-Nick

Dusty is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    well ill tell you this i had a trailblazer....other than braking parts when i jumped it...the motor ran flawlessly never had trouble with the motor......
    My Trikes
    1985 ATC 250r (MX Project)
    1985 ATC 70 (with pit bike motor)
    1983 ATC 110
    1984 225dx
    2005 SDG 110 Pit Bike

OTC Tride & True

Past Trikes
    1985 ATC 70
    1984 200s Almost Mint(stolen in 99)have pics of her..
    1983 YTM 200

--
    Hey I have one just like it . Let me know if you go to part it out. I might be interested in some of it.

--
    My neighbor came home yesterday, and said I could come pick up this bottom end he had. All this time he had made it sound like there was barely enough to call a bottom end, but it turns out the entire bottom of the motor is there, complete with the transmission, both clutches, shifter assy, rear brake assy, footguards, swingarm, and a sawzalled frame cradle holding it all together. All free!!! Talk about a SCORE!!!!

The motor had water in it, but after letting it soak in 2 cycle oil even for only a few hours made it feel new again. It is full to the top in oil now, and Im gonna let it sit thru the weekend until I can get back to it on Monday.

I also got the entire 4wd setup finished. I rebuilt the center carrier, and got everything tightened and greased. Got the new shifter piece installed too.

And I found out the real reason the old motor blew up. One of the crank seals was missing a huge chunk, and the balancer's bearings also blew up, ground up the case real good and put a huge crack in it. So it looks like this other bottom end is gonna be put to good use. Ill get some more pics tomorrow when I have some time.

-Nick

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //