//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1970's Rupp 440 Nitro engine parts

--

Question 1970's Rupp 440 Nitro engine parts

My uncle has a 1970's Rupp 440 Nitro engine he doesn't know weather it still runs or not and I just wanted you snow machine guy's opinion on weather engine parts are still available or not, he said I could have it if I wanted it for a future dirt drag atv project but I don't want to get it and just have it sitting around if parts are obsolete.

--
    i believe there are still parts around for them. them nitro engines can haul butt for their age. get it and see what it needs. all else fails put it on the side of the road on junk day.
    down to parts because i no longer have a place to ride trikes.

GIT IT RAAAGGGGG !!!!

--
    Thanks for the info I dont know much about sleds, I would like to get a Polaris trail blazer and stick the Nitro motor in it for dirt drags.

--
    I had a Xenoah liquid cooled 440 nitro years ago, fastest sled I'v owned to this day....

Is your motor a freeair or liquid cooled? There are still some parts for them around...Google Rupp Nitro and you'll come up with a website something along the lines of Rupps only and they are a good source.

My Xenoah was rated for in the area of 80hp....On a good day when the jetting was spot on the sled was running 100mph on the oldschool suspension next to the new sleds....Fun machine for sure!

--
    ive had a few fast sleds too. but ive always wanted a nitro. i had a juiced up blizzard 9500 that was scary fast. but thats about it for scary fast lol. i now have no sleds but i do have a few engines kicking around. like a 79 invader engine. its got dual 38mm or 40mm carbs on it with port and polish. i cant wait to stuff it into a old R frame.

GIT IT RAAAGGGGG !!!!

--
    This motor is an air cooled mid 70's 440cc Kohler dual carb motor thats about all I know, even if it only makes 60hp it would make a wicked dirt dragger out of a Polaris trailblazer, the reason I want to use a trailblazer is because it already uses a clutch similar to a sled and the frame should provide room for the clutch on the sled motor.
    I guess I'll let him know I want it but it won't be until this fall before I get it because he lives in Wyoming but my grandpa is making a trip out there this fall to pick up some truck parts and i can have him bring it back then.

--
    kool shiz once you get it give the year and stuff. i will get specs and gap settings and stuff.

GIT IT RAAAGGGGG !!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 84honda200s View Post
    kool shiz once you get it give the year and stuff. i will get specs and gap settings and stuff.
    Alright man thanks

--
    np old sleds are one of my loves in life lol.

GIT IT RAAAGGGGG !!!!

--
    I got one more question do you know if these engines are oil injected or just premix thanks

--
    i believe they are premix. once you get it you will be able to tell.

GIT IT RAAAGGGGG !!!!

--
    All machines back in the day were premix, so it's a safe bet to figure that one is probably premix as well. Also, I think Dennis Kirk offers the most primitive types of parts for your Rupp, such as belts and such.
    I'm back in the USSR...

--
    not all were some enticers were oil injected along with some ski doo citations . like the ss and so on. but you are rite about 90% of vintage sleds were pre mix. just not all were.

GIT IT RAAAGGGGG !!!!

--
    Rupps/Alouettes were all premix.

In highschool we took a 74 440 and built it into a drag sled for a class project. Awesome engine, one of the best ever in my opinion for power. Only the 250 liquid Arctic Cat (very rare but scarry bottom end) and 440 Yamaha liquid (SRX anyone?) could hold a candle to it in it's day, IMO.

--
    If Its a kohler you just might have something there. I'm pretty sure that was the engine used In the old Snow Twister's. I've heard that the snow twister was the only one that could take out the Yamaha SRX back In the day. I have a 76 Nitro with the liquid cooled Xenoah 440, It Is a real strong runner. I love the old SRX though. I have a 3 wheeler with a 77 SRX engine for the drags, It's pretty Insane. I just cant believe how fast these old 440's are. My close to stock 79 SRX with some gear changes, carb & pipe mods will run with big tripples for about 400 feet. After that the big dog's take off.

I know a guy here In MI that know those Kohler's real well, when you get the engine find the #'s on the cylinders. He's an old school oval track racer that told me my SRX was a second place sled lol. Wow that made me wonder how fast the old Snow Twister's really were.

83 ATC 60-R Cr60 converted with Zinger parts.
    83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC 85-R Cr85 engine on shortened 86-R frame.
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer
    440 snowmobile powered custom built.
    87 Cr 500 Converted to Drag racer

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //