//ArrowChat Code

Thread: T3 Sprock Racing cool head plus

--

T3 Sprock Racing cool head plus

I've had my eye on a Sprock Racing cool head for some time now. About six weeks ago I decided I'd get one intime for Trikefest. I called Corey Sprock, 573-721-2251, at Tecate Connection to talk about his cool head and order one. Well Corey is a great guy, we talked a long time on the phone about his cool head and I was convinced I wanted one. During the call I mentioned that I had a KX cylinder that one day I wanted to have bored and nycasiled to put on my Tecate. To make a long story short, Corey told me he could have that done by Trikefest. Amoung his many talents is salesman because by the end of the phone call he had me sending him my KX cylinder for the "treatment" and he will return to me the cylinder bored to make my Tecate a 300cc mid-bore, new Wisco piston and rings and one of his sweet cool heads with a 93 octaine dome.

Fast forward to this past Thursday, the mailman brought me my engine parts from Sprock. I opened the box and...wow...fell in love with the cool head. What a nice piece of craftmanship. This is a billet piece which is a two piece assembly. The dome fits into the top of the head and can be changed out if you decide to run a higher octain gas, or lower for that matter.

I waited till Friday to start the install. This is nothing difficult, just a basic top-end rebuild. The only thing to cause me concern ended up being easy. Corey doesn't drill the head stay bolt hole on the back of his cool heads, so I had to drill it myself. No big deal, just install the upper engine mount on the frame, get a 3/8 inch drill bit and start drilling, carefully, make sure it's straight.

Anyway, got it together without a single problem. My DG headpipe does contact the cool head. If you run one of these with a stock head you know it's close and the pipe has two head bolt indentions made into it. Well the cool head is about twice as tall as a stock head and it squarely contacts the headpipe along most of the left-top side of the head. I had to use 1/2 inch spacers on the headpipe front rubber mount and the silencer mount location. I thought I'd get an exhaust leak at the cylinder because the alignment seems off a little. Honestly I gooped it up pretty good with silicone and got a new crush gasket and new o-rings, 2 on the DG pipe, and it doesn't leak one little bit. I'm happy about that to say the least, I hate exhaust leaks.

After I got it together and got on my riding boots I gased it up with a nice rich mix of petroleum premix oil at 20:1 for the breakin tank. I got up on the trike, kicked it over one time and nearly lost my leg, boy does this thing have lots of compression now, my old topend recently had new rings, but the bore was questionable. No question now, strong compression. It took five kicks for it to fire up. Sounded real good, I rode it around the block of my neighborhood once just to upset the neighbors and put it in my yard. I let it idle for about 10 minutes, I blipped the throttle to about half throttle 10-12 times during that period. Pulled it back in the garage and retorqued the headbolts.

Now I'm ready for Trikefest.

I'll finish breaking it in in Indiana.

I took a bunch of pictures of the parts Corey sent me and pics of the install and completed trike. Click here: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...iew=thumbs&ck=

Best thing I could've done for my Tecate and Corey Sprock is a great guy to work with on an engine build up.

, Chris
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R>>>Cross Country Racer<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

www.myspace.com/bluelionracing

Support my 2009 sponsor:

For all your ATV suspension needs.

--
    Sweet, nice and easy break in. I'd run 2-3 gallons through it before pushing it hard. At haspin you can do some easy cruising as well. Bring all your jets so you can ween it off of 20-1 and do some dialing. When you gonna be at TF.

--
    I'm planning on being there Wednesday late morning or early afternoon. You?

Yeah I have five or six mains and several pilot jets to bring with me.

See you there!!!!!!!!!!!!Chris
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R>>>Cross Country Racer<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

www.myspace.com/bluelionracing

Support my 2009 sponsor:

For all your ATV suspension needs.

--
    Very sweet, that 300 is going to be a real runner when its broken in.

--
    Looking good !!! Have you had a chance to ride it ? I'll have a few different mains myself if you need 1. See ya friday. Lopes

--
    May i ask what the engine goods from the Sprocktor cost ya?

--
    I think that i am going to do the same thing
    a day without a bizz is a day that never was
    1985 Kawasaki Tecate 250 with a lot of part on the way!!!!!
    two honda 200s

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //